AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Raveonettes, The - In and Out of Control Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.58
Lyrics 6.33
Production 6.42
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 6.33
Reviewer Tilt 6.58
Average: 65%

Raveonettes, The - In and Out of Control

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (10/23/09)
The Raveonettes - In and Out of Control
Record Label: Vice
Release Date: October 6, 2009

On the patently awesome Death Cab for Cutie track "We Looked Like Giants," Ben Gibbard inquires, "Do you remember the JAMC," referencing Glaswegian shoegaze pioneers The Jesus and Mary Chain. It's probably a fair guess that some readers probably don't, but if the question were posed to the Danish duo The Raveonettes, the answer would undoubtedly be a resounding "hell yes." Much like The Chain, The Raveonettes display a transparent adoration for early-'60s surf-rock and pop, even going as far as covering The Angels' 1963 hit "My Boyfriend's Back" for their Pretty in Black LP, but douse it heavily with fuzzy noise and reverb.

Their fifth release overall, In and Out of Control continues the band's trend toward dreamier textures, with not much of a trace left of the spiky guitars of the Whip It On mini-album. The hazy sunshine of "Bang!" gets the wild rumpus started, and its sound and carefree feel ("Kids want to bop out in the street, fu-fu-fun all summer long.") would make it fit right in among the tracks on The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's self-titled debut from earlier this year. "Gone Forever" isn't quite so cheery, but it's a perfect illustration of one of The Raveonettes' biggest strengths: the interplay between the dual male-female vocals of Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo. The sweetness of their delivery regardless of the tone of the song is striking, whether it's making a love-as-drug metaphor on "Last Dance" or offering the jarring line "those fuckers stay in your head" on "Boys Who Rape (Should All Be Destroyed)."

Even after having gotten over a past relationship, there's something unsettling about seeing a former lover with someone else, and The Raveonettes touch upon this on the psychedelic-tinged "Heart of Stone." The feeling isn't so much pain-- "You're the reason I can't hurt," Wagner intones-- but perhaps it's the blow to the ego that comes with having been so easily replaced. On the short interlude "Oh, I Buried You Today," Foo can't suppress her own anger at an old flame, remarking, "It's so hard for me to say sweet words about you." Even more unnerving is their handling of somewhat darker fare like "Suicide" and "D.R.U.G.S."; both are nonetheless relentlessly sprightly, the former with a classic noise-pop refrain offset by Jan and Dean-esque verses and the latter very much in a jittery Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Metric vein.

Throughout its run time, In and Out of Control flows in and out of different styles, but "Breaking Into Cars" might be the most effective showcase of the band's various talents in a single track; the verses have a gothic Nick Cave feel, while the chorus carries an atmosphere similar to Rilo Kiley's "Dreamworld." It's followed by the album's most aggressive moment, the opening of "Break Up Girls!" If it seemed like there's been too little catharsis given all the pent-up aggression displayed in the lyrics, it comes out in the white-noise squall that makes up the first two minutes of the track. Apparently, that got it all out of their system, as the remainder of the song is delivered in their usual hushed, honeyed harmonies over a jangly backdrop.

The narcotic "Wine" draws In and Out of Control to a close in a fittingly demure manner. Sonically, the album is almost unfailingly light and airy and the vocals possess a childlike charm, which makes a closer inspection of the often uncomfortable lyrics all the more startling. It's a refinement of the style they moved toward on their first Vice Records album, last years Lust Lust Lust, following the straightforward traditional pop flair of Pretty in Black. Their melodies are capturing, and the dissonance between the jaded, not-always-benevolent attitude of the songs and the wide-eyed naivete with which they're delivered gives them a unique depth. This latest release is a worthy addition to The Raveonettes' discography, and regardless of its title, it's clearly the sound of a band that's "in control."

Recommended If You LikeThe Pains of Being Pure at Heart's The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy
Sad Day for Puppets' Unknown Colors
The Duke Spirit's Neptune
Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Show Your Bones

Track Listing1. Bang! (2:53)
2. Gone Forever (3:35)
3. Last Dance (3:47)
4. Boys Who Rape (Should All Be Destroyed) (3:03)
5. Heart of Stone (3:55)
6. Oh, I Buried You Today (1:21)
7. Suicide (3:13)
8. D.R.U.G.S. (4:29)
9. Breaking Into Cars (3:07)
10. Break Up Girls! (4:00)
11. Wine (3:40)

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
05:37 PM on 10/23/09
liveloud4life
User Info.
8 for lyrics? Really? I can't even read them without laughing aloud.
07:09 AM on 10/24/09
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
Last Dance is probably one of the best songs I've heard this year.

Oh, and always great to see some fellow Danes being reviewed here .
12:25 PM on 10/24/09
RonMexico
bitte orca
User Info.
Kind of like how I laugh at He Is Legend lyrics.
04:45 PM on 10/24/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agree
02:59 AM on 10/25/09
Brandon_WalshDK
Seldom right and wrong again, Steve
User Info.
Last Dance is probably one of the best songs I've heard this year.

Oh, and always great to see some fellow Danes being reviewed here .
Yes, Denmark FTW!
07:11 AM on 10/25/09
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
You know it, man.
02:33 PM on 10/25/09
liveloud4life
User Info.
Kind of like how I laugh at He Is Legend lyrics.
Are you kidding? HIL has at the very least decent lyrics. What could you possilbly be referring to?
09:11 PM on 10/25/09
RonMexico
bitte orca
User Info.
Are you kidding? HIL has at the very least decent lyrics. What could you possilbly be referring to?
I am the villain to you
You are the princess to me
And I got you where I want you
Let love bring you to your knees
If I can not have you, darling, no one will
This fairy tale is ending, this fairy tale is ending

REST IN PIECES

....really, dude? And to be perfectly honest, if you find the Raveonette's lyrics "laughable", you've obviously allowed their sound to go over your head.
07:09 PM on 10/26/09
liveloud4life
User Info.
I am the villain to you
You are the princess to me
And I got you where I want you
Let love bring you to your knees
If I can not have you, darling, no one will
This fairy tale is ending, this fairy tale is ending

REST IN PIECES

....really, dude? And to be perfectly honest, if you find the Raveonette's lyrics "laughable", you've obviously allowed their sound to go over your head.
What about those are awful? I won't try to say that those are mind-blowing but even this song which you picked to be a bad example makes subtle lyrical and melodic references to an earlier piece (a lot more common of influential composers like Charles Ives than rock music) and they're better than a substantial amount the BS that's out there. Such as "I went away to meet my love I saw things that I can't have It makes me mad To think of you with someone else." I guess the glorious the glorious over simple, cliche, substanceless radio pop goes over my head.
11:35 AM on 10/27/09
RonMexico
bitte orca
User Info.
What about those are awful? I won't try to say that those are mind-blowing but even this song which you picked to be a bad example makes subtle lyrical and melodic references to an earlier piece (a lot more common of influential composers like Charles Ives than rock music) and they're better than a substantial amount the BS that's out there. Such as "I went away to meet my love I saw things that I can't have It makes me mad To think of you with someone else." I guess the glorious the glorious over simple, cliche, substanceless radio pop goes over my head.
I'm definitely going to end this conversation considering you consider The Raveonettes to be simple or "substanceless" (hooray for made-up words!) radio pop. At first I thought you just had a misconception of the band, but now it's apparent that you're just mentally retarded. Really? He is Legend is "glorious"?

Thanks, buddy. I needed that laugh. Open your head, man. Once that ignorance is shed, you'll find some killer music out there.
02:54 PM on 10/27/09
liveloud4life
User Info.
I'm definitely going to end this conversation considering you consider The Raveonettes to be simple or "substanceless" (hooray for made-up words!) radio pop. At first I thought you just had a misconception of the band, but now it's apparent that you're just mentally retarded. Really? He is Legend is "glorious"?

Thanks, buddy. I needed that laugh. Open your head, man. Once that ignorance is shed, you'll find some killer music out there.
This site can praise them and bands like them all they want for breaking music down to such a raw, rudimentary sound, and maybe that's cool, ok I get it, and I'll retract the radio-pop part of the statemnet, but on the basis of musical structure and creativity on a concrete level, this never pushes outside the boundaries of the most basic chords and melodies that you learn in the your first month of guitar lessons.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests