12:45 AM on 10/24/09
We the Wolves That's Wilding
Entertainment Round-Up Industry News and Rumors:
contributors: Rest_Easy and sevinw0rds.
01) Here are the box office numbers from last weekend:
01. Where the Wild Things Are $32,695,407 $32,695,407
02. Law Abiding Citizen $21,039,502 $21,039,502
03. Paranormal Activity $19,617,650 $33,171,743
04. Couples Retreat $17,227,390 $62,617,735
05. The Stepfather (2009) $11,581,586 $11,581,586
06. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $8,017,871 $108,201,645
07. Zombieland $7,616,939 $60,640,317
08. Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) $3,016,580 $28,554,678
09. Surrogates $1,917,315 $36,327,650
10. The Invention of Lying $1,907,398 $15,497,164
02) Akiva Goldsman ( A Beautiful Mind, Batman & Robin) is penning a script for a new incarnation of Alan Moore's . Goldsman says about the project, "We want a film with real Southern, dark horror overtones, a little bit like a classic Universal horror film." Swamp Thing
03) Bruce Campbell has been promised a " good meaty role" in the new Spider-Man movie - Mysterio anyone?
04) Angelina Jolie is in talks to star in Ridley Scott's as Patrizia Reggiano, who was sentenced to 29 years in jail for planning the murder of her ex-husband Maurizio Gucci. Gucci
05) Video game adaptation Kane & Lynch will begin filming in 2010; Bruce Willis has signed on as Kane, and he's said the screenplay is "one of the best action scripts [he's] ever read."
06) James Cameron is pretty psyched about his new Avatar movie. Will it be his next classic?
07) Looks like we can expect a "hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style" sooner rather than later. Crow reboot
08) Hairspray director Adam Shankman's next project will be a film version of the Broadway musical , which channels the greatness of 1980s hair bands. Shankman comments, "I thought, `This is Rock of Ages Mamma Mia! for dudes.' What an extraordinary opportunity to open the genre to an audience that otherwise wouldn't go see a musical."
09) Marvel brass is excited about the new Japan storyline for Wolverine 2, while the Magneto origin story has been placed on the back burner.
10) Producer Lauren Shuler Donner says she has no problem with Ryan Reynolds playing both Deadpool and the title role in Green Lantern. In other Marvel news, Shuler Donner cites the newest Harry Potter films as inspiration for X-Men: First Class.
11) Check out this interview with John Hillcoat, the director of The Road, if you've already read the book. If you haven't read the book, you really need to.
12) Gerard Butler will be playing Volscian army leader Tullus Aufidius in Ralph Fiennes' Shakespeare adaptation Coriolanus.
13) Star Trek writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci see no need to rush a sequel - a 2012 release is a possibility.
14) Rumor has it Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire might be starring in a remake of one of film-making's all-time greats, The Third Man. This one definitely doesn't require a remake - rent the original if you've never seen it.
15) The next Bond installment starring Daniel Craig may start filming in the second half of 2010.
16) Laeta Kalogridis ( Shutter Island, Alexander) is penning the script for Ghost in the Shell.
17) District 9 helmer Neil Blomkamp has begun production on a new sci-fi film.
18) Ben Foster and Donald Sutherland will co-star opposite Jason Stratham in a remake of Charles Bronson’s 1972 film . The Mechanic
19) Sir Ian McKellen says he has received both scripts for . He also says The Hobbit Lord of the Rings cast members will be returning, although he doesn’t know who will play Bilbo.
20) Multiversity Comics, which is run by some of our cooler AP.net members, has relocated to www.multiversitycomics.com. Give them a visit if you like anything comics related.
01) John Wells ( ER, Southland) is producing an hour-long pilot for Showtime based on the long-running British series . Shameless
02) Benjamin Bratt will guest star on the great new sitcom Modern Family as Manny's deadbeat dad Papa Delgado.
03) Jonah Hill ( Superbad, Knocked Up) is co-writing a new animated series for Fox about "a 7-year-old socialite who acts and talks like an adult -- and finds himself out of his element when forced to attend public school".
04) Castle has received a full season order; Hank, on the other hand, isn't looking too good.
05) Co-showrunner/executive producer Marc Guggenheim is departing FlashForward, leaving David Goyer as the show's sole runner and mastermind.
06) A new CG-animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series is on the way. It'll be here soon... in 2012.
Coming Soon to Theaters:
November 6, 2009
The Box - Cameron Diaz and James Marsden are an unhappy couple who receive a mysterious box that brings instant wealth at a deadly cost.
Disney's A Christmas Carol - Jim Carrey is the voice of Ebenezer Scrooge in a new animated adaptation of Charles Dickens' classic holiday tale.
The Fourth Kind - Milla Jovovich stars as a psychologist who discovers disturbing evidence of alien abductions in small town Alaska.
The Men Who Stare at Goats (Limited) - George Clooney is a shadowy figure who claims to be part of a secret U.S. military unit specializing in psychic warfare.
Precious (Limited) - A pregnant, illiterate teen is accepted into an alternative school where a teacher helps her find a new path in her life.
Michael Jackson: This Is It - A rare glimpse into the final days of Michael Jackson, compiled from an estimated 80 hours of rehearsal and behind-the-scenes footage.
Gentlemen Broncos (Limited) - A lonely young writer's story gets ripped off by a legendary fantasy novelist, then is adapted into a disastrous movie.
The House of the Devil (Limited) - A college student takes an unusual babysitting job, and slowly realizes her clients harbor a terrifying secret.
How to Seduce Difficult Women (Limited) - A motley crew of clueless men take a course in seducing difficult women, led by their womanizing French teacher Philippe.
In Theaters Now:
Saw VI - In this latest installment of the horror saga, Detective Hoffman emerges as the unchallenged successor to Jigsaw's legacy of terror.
Astro Boy - A young robot boy endowed with incredible powers embarks on a journey of acceptance and learns what it means to be a hero.
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - A teenage boy finds his destiny when he stumbles upon a vampire and his traveling freak show.
Amelia - Hilary Swank stars in the story of pioneering aviatrix Amelia Earhart, the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Men Who Stare At Goats
One Good Man
Up in the Air
Youth in Revolt
DVDs Out Next Week:
Fear(s) of the Dark
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Monty Python: Almost the Truth
Nothing Like The Holidays
TV Box Sets
Adult Swim: In a Box
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan
Dr. G Medical Examiner: Season One
Life After People: The Series
Manniz: Season Three
Naruto Uncut: Season One, Vol 1
Tales from the Darkside: Season Two
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Fugitive: Season Three, Vol 1
The Guardian: Season One
Trial and Retribution: Set Three
Special Editions / Other Releases
Angel and the Badman
Hustle and Fish
Medicine for Melancholy
Night of the Creeps
Soldiers of Conscience
The Storm Riders
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure
Z: Criterion Collection
AbsolutePunk Entertainment Links:
The Horror Thread 2
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Parks and Recreation
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien
Where the Wild Things Are
sources: aintitcool.com, apple.com/trailers, boxofficemojo.com, darkhorizons.com, imdb.com, movies.ign.com, movies.yahoo.com
If you have a bit of entertainment news you'd like to submit for next week's Round-Up, send your submission to Adrian Villagomez with "Entertainment Round-Up" in the subject header.
12:48 AM on 10/24/09
The new Coen Brothers movie A Serious Man is so unbelievably good, and yet, it is getting very little attention. Definitely worth checking out.
01:06 AM on 10/24/09
district 9 was interesting, i wonder what they dood will come up with next..
01:15 AM on 10/24/09
Welcome back. You've been missed. Although the substitute did a fine job
01:16 AM on 10/24/09
i think Avatar is building itself up for a letdown.
01:24 AM on 10/24/09
03) Jonah Hill (
Superbad, Knocked Up
) is co-writing a
new animated series
for Fox about "a 7-year-old socialite who acts and talks like an adult -- and finds himself out of his element when forced to attend public school".
..soooo you're making a show based on Stewie Griffin
01:41 AM on 10/24/09
I just saw District 9 finally. Stunning. Can't wait to see what he'll do next.
Glad the Star Trek sequel isn't trying to be rushed. I'm willing to wait if it'll be quality, which the first definitely was.
I'm also excited for The Hobbit more, hearing the LOTR cast might make appearances.
Sounds like the Saw franchise will continue to beat a dead and dismembered zombie horse.
03:23 AM on 10/24/09
Talking about the second and third
03) Jonah Hill (Superbad, Knocked Up) is co-writing a new animated series for Fox about "a 7-year-old socialite who acts and talks like an adult -- and finds himself out of his element when forced to attend public school".
03:44 AM on 10/24/09
Eat Snickers, Leave Garbage
Rebooting The Crow, eh? They already made 2 too many. It's Hollywood's M.O., but they should've just left well enough alone at the first great movie.
04:58 AM on 10/24/09
we need a comic book round-up. id enjoy that.
07:45 AM on 10/24/09
Swamp Thing is an amazing run. I think the movie would be awesome.
08:24 AM on 10/24/09
The Dear Hunter
Buy The Music