Username
Password

05:06 PM on 10/24/09 
User Info.
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
West Chester, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
i plan on double-majoring in secondary education for mathematics and English. anyone else planning on being a teacher?
01:41 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
CstSnow
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Cant Lose
Monterey Ca
Male - 29 Years Old
Going to be some sort of HS teacher. My degree would let me do anything from Journalism to History or English.

I started subbing this year, and absolutely love it.
03:40 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
Glendale, AZ
Female - 25 Years Old
I considered it sort of recently. but I was considering teaching elementary school.
07:47 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
Taking_Frags
I post once every four months.
Male - 25 Years Old
i plan on double-majoring in secondary education for mathematics and English. anyone else planning on being a teacher?

Why? It's great and all that you want to be able to educate multiple subjects, but in the end you'll just get hired for one of the subjects, most certainly mathematics over English.

Mathematics/Secondary education here.
10:35 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
Esrb99
The Pertinacious Papist
Rolla, Missouri
Male - 24 Years Old
love the idea myself- dbl major in english/EE.
10:47 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
alltimeGreg
Looking for a NJ pop punk band!
No Avatar Selected
Glassboro, New...
Male - 24 Years Old
I plan on being a teacher, that actually happening idk. haha
11:55 AM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
Was planning on going to school to be an english teacher but I decided I'd rather try business instead. I hate to sound like I need material things, cause I don't, but I just want a career that pays a little better.
01:46 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
PoweredbyPJ
Just because...you move your lips..
VA
Male - 24 Years Old
I've always seriously thought about it, im an art major right now but we'll see where things go afterwards
02:29 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
West Chester, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
Why? It's great and all that you want to be able to educate multiple subjects, but in the end you'll just get hired for one of the subjects, most certainly mathematics over English.

Mathematics/Secondary education here.

there's always a possibility i can be hired for both. and that would make me more appealing.
02:31 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
Rawrr
the slime king
T. AZ.
Male - 21 Years Old
I would be interested in teaching an English class or something in that style if my plans for the future fell through.
02:50 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
HelpMeSleep
fuck what you know.
Glendale, AZ
Female - 25 Years Old
Was planning on going to school to be an english teacher but I decided I'd rather try business instead. I hate to sound like I need material things, cause I don't, but I just want a career that pays a little better.
yeah, I considered teaching but went with business. I actually really enjoy my business classes though and find them interesting so I guess that's a good sign.
02:55 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
Twin Cities, MN
Male - 25 Years Old
yeah, I considered teaching but went with business. I actually really enjoy my business classes though and find them interesting so I guess that's a good sign.
I hope that one day I'll have my own business. That'd be cool
03:41 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
Taking_Frags
I post once every four months.
Male - 25 Years Old
there's always a possibility i can be hired for both. and that would make me more appealing.

That's true. If you're set on be able to teach multiple subjects, if you didn't know, you don't necessarily have to major in a subject to become certified (at least that's how it is in pennsylvania). You essentially just need a bachelor's degree in anything, and need to be able to pass the Praxis exam of your subject of choice. Of course, who is to say you'll actually get hired that way (ie. If you have a bachelors degree in Writing, and are capable of passing the English Praxis exam.)

In relation with what you're planning:

If you major in Mathematics Secondary Education, you can completely get away with a minor in English, and still be highly capable of passing your Praxis exams for both. It'll be a lot less work seeing that a B.S.Ed. in Mathematics is highly time consuming. When the time comes, talk to your adviser.

Just trying to make you aware of other options!
05:37 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
Neo Cassady
Let's go exploring!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 28 Years Old
I'm a first year math teacher; I went to school for both math and English education. I'd much rather be teaching English (I feel like I can come up with way better lessons, do more fun things, and so on) but the math job was open so I took it. There are some days I love my job, and others that make me want to completely give up. But I guess the beauty of it lies in the fact that each day is something different--I'd be bored to death at a "regular" 9-5.
06:48 PM on 10/27/09 
User Info.
MilesToGo
I saw your face and WOW!
Illinois
Female - 24 Years Old
I am studying to be a high school English and History teacher. I'm considering switching to just history, but I've been advised to stay with both, because it'll make me more valuable in the end. I'm kind of torn right now...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos