Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Slow Day Discussion Question

Posted by: Gabe Gross (05/27/06)
What value do lyrics have in the music you listen to? Does it matter if they are political or religious?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 86.
05:18 PM on 05/27/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
I don't really like political and religious tones to lyrics.

I like stuff I can relate to or lyrics that actually use imagery in them (Pachuca Sunrise anyone?).
05:25 PM on 05/27/06
wtfemokid
F it, I'm gonna get me some mangoes
User Info.
lyrics are pretty important to me. if they suck too much, it makes it hard for me to enjoy the music. although i do like a lot of bands that have different political views from me. if it gets to the point of shoving stuff down my throat like the dixie chicks or something, i can't stand that.
05:27 PM on 05/27/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
I honestly don't give a shit about lyrics.. it's all about the melodies, harmonies, chord progressions, rhythms, etc to me... some people flip out when I tell them that... oh well

That's why I love pop music as much as I do
05:31 PM on 05/27/06
assjaw
User Info.
the new Ben Harper album "Both Sides Of The Gun" is very politically motivated which im not really into but i respect that cd as much as all of his other albums.
05:33 PM on 05/27/06
HazeLitRise
i spit hot fire
User Info.
yes it matters. i listen to music to feel inspired to live a beter life, or to feel better about myself when im down, not to be preached ideas and beliefs that are more trendy than accurate.
05:33 PM on 05/27/06
MotionIsntMeaning
Fake Punk Fan
User Info.
I usually pay more attention to the music rather than the lyrics. I can listen to shitty lyrics if the music rocks. But I do prefer bands that take the time to write lyrics that make you think whether it be about politics, religion, or just life in general. You can tell when someone is writing about things they feel rather than just writing lyrics cause they have to.
05:34 PM on 05/27/06
Get Fucked
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm more into instrumentation. I hate when lyrics get political or religious though. But I DO love when lyrics tell a good story. "Alive With The Glory Of Love" mmmm.
05:37 PM on 05/27/06
leftstranded
myspace.com/leftstranded
User Info.
Originally Posted by Rohan Kohli
I honestly don't give a shit about lyrics.. it's all about the melodies, harmonies, chord progressions, rhythms, etc to me... some people flip out when I tell them that... oh well

i agree with you whole heartedly. that's why i can listen to almost anything as long as i like the music and melodies
05:37 PM on 05/27/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Can you get into Run Kid Run, even though they are singing Lord, I love you or Propaghandi, even though they are pushing political dysfunction on you? I mean those are good bands in their genres, I'm just curious how much influence lyrics play in listeners' lives.
05:38 PM on 05/27/06
slickwataris
jrockexplosion.net
User Info.

pretty much. I don't even pay attention to what they're saying anymore.
05:39 PM on 05/27/06
Simulcast
You can't kill us all
User Info.
I like the deftones lyrics.
05:39 PM on 05/27/06
Newairrecords
Breathe Music
User Info.
Lyrics dont make a good song. Its not about whats sung, but how its sung. I dont like when bands use their music to set their own political agenda on peoples minds. im not against expression of beliefs, thast what music is for, but i am against bands that tell you to like or dislike something or someone. for example, as much as i loathe george bush, i cant stand it when bands force others to hate him cause its the "cool" thing to do.
05:44 PM on 05/27/06
TechRocker
User Info.
Lyrics are what turn a good track into a great song. Arguably, the melody and stuff is the most important thing, but if the lyrics can make a connection, then that's huge. A good song comes on the radio, you want to sing along. Maybe some people don't care what they're singing, but that'll really shine the spotlight on the lyrics, and there's a lot that don't stand up to the scrutiny.

I like a variety of music, but one of my favorite bands is Thrice. I do like their sound, but if it weren't for their incredible lyrics, I probably wouldn't have give them a second thought. They're deep, always more than they first appear, and usually hopeful. I think people who dismiss them as emo (no offense emo kids <3) don't realize that.
05:45 PM on 05/27/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Newairrecords
Lyrics dont make a good song. Its not about whats sung, but how its sung. I dont like when bands use their music to set their own political agenda on peoples minds. im not against expression of beliefs, thast what music is for, but i am against bands that tell you to like or dislike something or someone. for example, as much as i loathe george bush, i cant stand it when bands force others to hate him cause its the "cool" thing to do.

you make several great points...i do believe its HOW the lyrics are sung.

As far as content of the lyrics, I don't care THAT much. When it comes to political and religious lyrics, I don't mind either much, because I'm a Christian and even though I do have my biblical beliefs, I think that being a Christian I should strive to find great music. Not music that is purely made by Christians or have a Christian agenda. I mean...I could go into this a shitload and no one would care but I will have to stress that it is the melody of the voice and how the vocalist use those words to react with the instruments.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS