AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Brand New News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 295.
03:09 PM on 10/27/09
RoboZombieKitty
User Info.
Actually quite a lot is known about that time and the history surrounding it ... ignoring that tangent: he didn't say it was why he accepted it (why is that in quotes? He never said that), he said how he empathized/understood it because of X, Y, and Z.
What are you talking about? It wouldn't matter if we knew absolutely everything about his time period who are you to say why he chose to believe the things he believed? You'd have to be a psychic to do that.

If someone 300 years down the road said, "Jason Tate was an Agnostic because he grew up in an area and a time when Western/post-modern thought was rampant" would you be happy with that? I just don't agree with reducing people to their environments. I'm not saying it's not a factor. But people have a choice right?
03:13 PM on 10/27/09
RoboZombieKitty
User Info.
You still do, you believe in God.

Who made God? Did he just come from nothing? God had to come from somewhere.

And no, not everything comes from nothing. Things come from a combine substances and atoms and quarks, and etc.

I think you still need to grow up. Use your brain a little more without getting so sensitive. Think.
Apparently I failed to show you that you might wanna be little more humble about what you believe b/c you never know when you might be proven wrong.

Thinking that everyone else believes lies but you alone believe the truth makes you no better than the Christians you so often look down on from that high horse of yours.
03:13 PM on 10/27/09
ballardr
www.isasports.com
User Info.
The third entry is more applicable to our discussion, but it still implies subjectivity. For that reason, I don't think it's a very workable definition.

3 : causing displeasure or resentment <offensive remarks>
03:14 PM on 10/27/09
Dunn.Nope
Registered Member
User Info.
A-Sensitive.

Offensive is an attack, a meaning to do harm. Arguing semantics is getting as far as arguing the existence of God or not. It's pointless.
I just gave you another definition of the exact same word and you're just repeating the same thing over again. you say he didn't mean to attack anyone, cool. but did he cause displeasure to people? no matter what he meant to do?
03:14 PM on 10/27/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
What are you talking about? It wouldn't matter if we knew absolutely everything about his time period who are you to say why he chose to believe the things he believed? You'd have to be a psychic to do that.
And again, no one said why - simply that it was understandable for the time period. Which it was.

If someone 300 years down the road said, "Jason Tate was an Agnostic because he grew up in an area and a time when Western/post-modern thought was rampant" would you be happy with that?
Yes. Although this would be completely different than what was said in the article ...

I just don't agree with reducing people to their environments. I'm not saying it's not a factor. But people have a choice right?
And their environment impacts the choice, and, for the third time - the article is not saying anything except that one can understand how during a period without the modern advances we now have "fairy tales" made a little more sense (ie: can't be blamed). Even an elementary understanding of history/period astrology should point this out.
03:15 PM on 10/27/09
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
User Info.
I stopped reading after 3 minutes.

As crappy as my college was I'm very thankful for the liberal arts education I received. I'm still amazed at grown men and women who can not for two seconds step out from their own narrow and limited perspectives.
The irony .

I strongly agree with the people defending Shirley in here. He was not directly attacking Christianity, nor was he lumping people together. He said that if a band sings about religion a lot, they run the risk of being lumped into the category of "Jesus rock" with other artists who are known for religious themes or praising in their music. He never said that all bands that sing about religion are that type of music, he was simply saying that people tend to generalize and lump them together.

Also, as Jason has argued previously, Shirley doesn't claim that religious people or religious bands are morons, he simply says that if you expect people to accept your ultimatum without question you are a moron or a bully. Think about it; if a teacher expects you to take every fact and lesson they give as truth without questioning it one bit, wouldn't you have your own opinion on the subject? Wouldn't you feel compelled to look at other points of view and challenge what you are taught, not necessarily to disprove it, but to draw your own conclusions and make an informed decision?

A lot of people are misconstruing what Shirley is saying. I'm not sure if people just didn't read closely enough or are just "conveniently" leaving out key words or ideas when they link together different parts of the article.
03:15 PM on 10/27/09
absolution
User Info.
You still do, you believe in God.

Who made God? Did he just come from nothing? God had to come from somewhere.

And no, not everything comes from nothing. Things come from a combine substances and atoms and quarks, and etc.

I think you still need to grow up. Use your brain a little more without getting so sensitive. Think.
saying God cannot exist because he has to come from somewhere is a pretty weak argument though, no?
03:19 PM on 10/27/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
If anyone is interested in one of the better theology discussions on this forum -- check this thread.
03:20 PM on 10/27/09
absolution
User Info.
The irony .

I strongly agree with the people defending Shirley in here. He was not directly attacking Christianity, nor was he lumping people together. He said that if a band sings about religion a lot, they run the risk of being lumped into the category of "Jesus rock" with other artists who are known for religious themes or praising in their music. He never said that all bands that sing about religion are that type of music, he was simply saying that people tend to generalize and lump them together.

Also, as Jason has argued previously, Shirley doesn't claim that religious people or religious bands are morons, he simply says that if you expect people to accept your ultimatum without question you are a moron or a bully. Think about it; if a teacher expects you to take every fact and lesson they give as truth without questioning it one bit, wouldn't you have your own opinion on the subject? Wouldn't you feel compelled to look at other points of view and challenge what you are taught, not necessarily to disprove it, but to draw your own conclusions and make an informed decision?

A lot of people are misconstruing what Shirley is saying. I'm not sure if people just didn't read closely enough or are just "conveniently" leaving out key words or ideas when they link together different parts of the article.
I believe Shirley's article was closer to how you are describing it than "bashing" but "fairytales" was rather incendiary.
03:20 PM on 10/27/09
RoboZombieKitty
User Info.
And again, no one said why - simply that it was understandable for the time period. Which it was.

Yes. Although this would be completely different than what was said in the article ...

And their environment impacts the choice, and, for the third time - the article is not saying anything except that one can understand how during a period without the modern advances we now have "fairy tales" made a little more sense (ie: can't be blamed). Even an elementary understanding of history/period astrology should point this out.
Hey, I'll admit you have a better grasp of formal logic and maybe I'm not giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. But from the moment I started reading this article he has given off nothing but an arrogant vibe.

I have all the knowledge of modern science at my finger tips yet I still choose to be a Christian. So Raphael is excused because he lived in an ignorant time and didn't know any better but I'm not right? I must be willfully ignorant to believe all the bullshit of Christianity.
03:23 PM on 10/27/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Hey, I'll admit you have a better grasp of formal logic and maybe I'm not giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. But from the moment I started reading this article he has given off nothing but an arrogant vibe.

I have all the knowledge of modern science at my finger tips yet I still choose to be a Christian. So Raphael is excused because he lived in an ignorant time and didn't know any better but I'm not right? I must be willfully ignorant to believe all the bullshit of Christianity.
And by your own admission you didn't even finish reading it. I also don't see what arrogance has to do with what is written. What vibe you get doesn't change the words.

The tenant of faith is ignorance. You accept something you cannot possibly know. This is willful ignorance. Note: I'm not using the term "ignorance" with the same negative connotation as ignorant (I already know where this is going). And I don't know what you believe - so I can't comment on what aspects of the religion you have chosen to accept or not.
03:23 PM on 10/27/09
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
User Info.

If someone 300 years down the road said, "Jason Tate was an Agnostic because he grew up in an area and a time when Western/post-modern thought was rampant" would you be happy with that? I just don't agree with reducing people to their environments. I'm not saying it's not a factor. But people have a choice right?

Is it wrong to say that it is understandable for a person to have believed that there were witches during the Salem Witch Trials? We're not arguing that Bob believed his neighbor was a witch or why he believed that, just that it is understandable because of the times for a person, including Bob, to believe in witchcraft and witches during this time period. I think it's basically the same thing; he isn't judging Raphael, just saying that he understands the circumstances in which he lived and worked.
03:27 PM on 10/27/09
Jason Tate
User Info.
Is it wrong to say that it is understandable for a person to have believed that there were witches during the Salem Witch Trials? We're not arguing that Bob believed his neighbor was a witch or why he believed that, just that it is understandable because of the times for a person, including Bob, to believe in witchcraft and witches during this time period. I think it's basically the same thing; he isn't judging Raphael, just saying that he understands the circumstances in which he lived and worked.
Ahh, that's much better worded than I was able to do. Thank you.
03:28 PM on 10/27/09
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
Uber-defensive, over-zealous Christians make me embarrassed to confess that I'm a Christian myself.

The writer, in no shape or form, could have possibly offended anyone with this article. Come on, guys.
03:31 PM on 10/27/09
DonnerParty666
Hard As Fuck
User Info.
album of the fuckin year.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives