AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record Album Cover

The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record

Reviewed by
It today's times, it's difficult to find a band that plays true rock or punk rock. Finally, after waiting three years since their last release, the Bouncing Souls are back with their new record The Gold Record. Now, working at a college radio station, I get to listen to many different CD's before they are released and when I saw the advance for this record, I got really excited, mainly because I didn't even know it was coming out.

Needless to say I was really over-joyed once I put this album in my computer and fired it up. The first three songs off this album explode with the great energy and the positive outlook the Bouncing Souls have always been known for. The opener "The Gold Song" uses driving guitar riffs, catchy lyrics, and explosive percussion to make it one of the best opening songs off of any record in a long time. The lyrics ring true to the positive outlooks the band has always had as the chorus rings, "I heard someone say/that nothing gold can stay/but theres a love in all our souls/and it shines like gold." "So Jersey" is a fun romp where the band takes a moment to "say thanks to the music in all our lives." "Sounds of the City" hits home for me because of how united New Orleans has been since Hurricane Katrina. Listen to that song and you can understand how you can only call one place "home."

The rest of the cd follows in the same fashion of those three songs. "The Pizza Song" lightens things slows things down a bit and adds some acoustic guitar to show that the Bouncing Souls don't have to rely on loud guitars to be effective. "Better Things" is another happy rocker about finding a something better in life and having fun. "Letter from Iraq" is the only political song on the record and it was written by a soldier in Iraq. The imagrey of the lyrics and the song's delivery make is feel like bombs are falling everywhere. A very hard hitting song.

Like all of their other albums, the Bouncing Souls show that punk rock doesn't always have to be political and angry, it can be hopeful and uplifting. If you find yourself having a bad day and feeling down on life, this CD could serve as very uplifting and cheerful in a loud, rocking way. The Souls don't feel the need to whine about life, but to move on with life and try to improve it.

Overall, this album is one the most accessiable the band has ever released. While it is a punk record, the album has a great sense of melody and timing that will attract many people to it. And the lyrics are something that anyone can connect with because everyone has a bad day and we all occasionally need a good boost to our moral.

This CD proves that after 12 years of being a band, your outlook on life can still be positive and that you can still enjoy making music that will give hope to people.
This review is a user submitted review from grey2235. You can see all of grey2235's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:35 AM on 07/10/06
BILLY AGE 8
User Info.
Great review,

I love the new album.
02:19 AM on 05/26/10
Tdelonge88
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Bouncing Souls are great! Simple as that... There are some really really good tunes on this album...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos