AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Avett Brothers - Four Thieves Gone: The... Album Cover

The Avett Brothers - Four Thieves Gone: The...

Reviewed by
The Avett Brothers - Four Thieves Gone: The Robbinsville Sessions
Release Date: February 7, 2006
Record Label: Ramseur Records

Punk sometimes means attitude and not necessarily the sound. In a global music scene the term "genre" gets taken too seriously. Every now and then a band like Lucero or Flogging Molly will give a regional touch to the generic "punk" sound (like western punk or irish punk). The Avett Brothers are no exception. With an undeniably genuine bluegrass root, the trio (whom of only two are actually brothers) deliever a raw grungey sound. A tingling feeling passes through you during the track "Colorshow" where Scott Avett screams his head off about getting off your ass and living. But wait... screaming in bluegrass? So is it bluegrass punk or punk bluegrass? Who cares. All that matters is that a banjo, an upright bass, and a six string guitar can deliever the same punch as the Warped Tour Lineup. Scott Avett (banjo, vocals), Seth Avett (guitar, vocals), and Bob Crawford (upright bass) are currenty the music scene's best kept secret. Although you wouldn't know it from the sold-out oversized pubs they play.

But back to Four Thieves Gone-- The album is as solid as it gets today. The album production goes beyond sound great to conveying a sense of tone and color. This is highlighted in songs like "Pretty Girl from Feltre" and "Sixteen in July". Both of which have warm harmonies and a soothing atmosphere. The range of the album is incredible as well. The themes of the songs range from the light hearted "Pretend Love" or the absolutely crazy "A Talk on Indolence" to the gut wrenching "The Lowering." If you are looking for a rocking good time, this album does feature more ballads than straight up blood pumping melodies. But what the Avett Brothers has to offer is range and color. No questions, Four Thieves Gone is a near-marvel of production and songwriting.
This review is a user submitted review from jonbolden. You can see all of jonbolden's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:01 AM on 05/16/07
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
User Info.
Uh...you gave it a 3%, yet praised the album as a "near-marvel"?

I guess I'll fix the ratings
09:13 PM on 02/25/12
geezeitsq
User Info.
I love this album! It is one of musics best kept secrets in my opinion

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT