AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Balance and Composure - Only Boundaries EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.15
Musicianship 9.21
Lyrics 8.88
Production 8.77
Creativity 8.7
Lasting Value 8.67
Reviewer Tilt 8.76
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Balance and Composure - Only Boundaries EP

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (10/31/09)
Balance and ComposureOnly Boundaries EP
Record Label: No Sleep Records
Release Date: August 11, 2009

I’ve only been in one scene: The chase sequence of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. I was almost cast as a main character, but at the last minute I became relegated to a “townsperson.” For one scene. My grandmother still mocks me for this. After my time as an upper middle class white Arabic child, I swore to never join anything ever again. However, my effervescent personality made this plan difficult. I started eating in the bathroom so as not to be part of the corporate food system, and of course I started a trend. If my friend Adam hadn’t tried to flush his Thermos down the toilet I would still be in that bathroom with my PBandnoJ. But I guess there’s a heavily veiled metaphor (THIS JOKE WORKS TWO WAYS) in here somewhere. Something about a scene. And probably something about Balance and Composure.

Maybe it’s that I would turn this whole loner/loser thing in for a few friends who love Balance and Composure. They make me want human contact – but please ask before you touch. The buildup on Only Boundaries’ closer, “What’s Wrong With Everything,” you know, the part where everyone yells “Hallelujah / I’m coming home” together, is enough to make me question my fork-in-the-road choice. It’s just so heavy without being heavy. The constant straddling of La Dispute screams and new Brand New’s fake, well, everything, turns this whole shebang into the most memorable 4-song feast of 2009. “Show Your Face”, for example, may stick with you until you die of mosh exhaustion. Jon Simmons’ everyman lethargy only appears when he’s not shredding his vocal chords, and his one-man-act truly blossoms when he sings-to-yells, “Your words cannot tell me / That my neighbor’s burning / For that I can’t believe / So tell me / Am I burning, too?” The looping guitars of Simmons and f**king awesomely named Andy Slaymaker add yet another level of catchy hypnosis. And before you know it, you’re hand-in-hand with some tattooed asshole. But I guess that’s what Purel is for.

The reason this sort of half-hearted post-hardcore works is only because the “quieter” moments pack as many punches as the ones intended to wake us from the dead. The lull in “Show Your Face” isn’t so much a lull as it is an omen of the insanity to come. “I Can’t Do This Alone” wallows in purple atmospheres and drums that merely trot, but it’s not wasted space. It’s just solid sound construction. You must start somewhere firm if you want the apex to be worth a damn. And they have clearly figured out how to hold our attention. To do that without doing anything new is where talent plays into this whole music thing. All you have to do is be good and nobody will care if you’re good at the same thing as somebody else.

Recommended If You Like: new Brand New, La Dispute, ha, Texas is the Reason, haha, The Republic of Wolves

Saddlewww.myspace.com/balanceandcomposure

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
03:02 PM on 10/31/09
wendjiqn
User Info.
Texas Is The Reason in the RIYL? never heard of this band, but that fucking excites me. will download and come back with thoughts later. good review.
03:14 PM on 10/31/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their music is pretty good. Too bad the guys kinda suck.
03:26 PM on 10/31/09
will and life
User Info.
their style seems fairly by the book. and i thought the vocals were pretty poor...

i feel mislead.
03:27 PM on 10/31/09
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
their style seems fairly by the book. and i thought the vocals were pretty poor...

i feel mislead.
thus the pitfalls of opinion.
03:29 PM on 10/31/09
mrzippo3
User Info.
I love the ep personally. Gets better with every listen
03:40 PM on 10/31/09
COTA
MA$E
User Info.
i really like this, and they're good live as well.
04:22 PM on 10/31/09
TheWonderYears
Get Stoked On It!
User Info.
I've been loving these guys for a while. Great review
06:07 PM on 10/31/09
Battle Hymns
Get up! Get up!
User Info.
Glad to see this reviewed, its one of the best EPs I've heard all year.
07:16 PM on 10/31/09
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
I liked their previous EP better.
07:36 PM on 10/31/09
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
Great review. This EP rocks my socks off.
09:05 PM on 10/31/09
DejaGuy89
Stolen Bikes Ride Faster
User Info.
So much emotion in every line
makes you really feel for this dude
09:27 PM on 10/31/09
popofeliz
Maybe They Will Sing Us Tomorrow
User Info.

i feel mislead.

i think the vocals are good with the music, it has emotion, not every single voice has to be perfect..

this ep is way better than the old one. fucking good
11:00 PM on 10/31/09
afriendinjersey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
these guys are fucking awesome. Show your face is def my favorite and has been blaring in my car for weeks
12:35 AM on 11/01/09
dancerazdance
http://youarerocksolid.tumblr.co m/
User Info.
great band!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives