AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
The Sound Of Animals Fighting - Lover Lord... Album Cover

The Sound Of Animals Fighting - Lover Lord...

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
THE SOUND OF ANIMALS FIGHTING - Lover, The Lord Has Left Us...

Warning: the following record I’m about to review is not intended for those with short attention spans and impatience. Rather, those with a keen ear and a sense of discovery and adventure will be best suited for The Sound Of Animals Fighting ambitious second album, Lover, The Lord Has Left Us…. This octet’s identities have been replaced with a specific animal, as this record features the efforts of The Hyena, The Lynx, The Nightingale, The Penguin, The Ram, The Skunk, The Walrus, and The Wolf, as each member was given a day to add their collective parts to create this project. After many listens to this 14 track, 56 minute long album, I’ve come to the conclusion that this is one of the most frustrating records to be released in 2006. At times, this record shows complete brilliance and execution, but, unfortunately, for the most part the concept of this album falls flat on its face.

To begin, the album begins with a short opener that consists of random noises and static that is not very pleasing to the ear, only to lead into a short a capella track, “Un’aria,” which features Craig Owens of Chiodos (who like a female vocalist in this track). This all builds up to “Skullflower,” the first track displaying the vocals of Anthony Green. This song has a slow steady drumbeat with random electronic noises, guitar tones, and Sanskrit chanting. The next two songs, “My Horse Must Lose” and “Chiracho Summit” feel like one big song, as it is becoming hard to decipher which song is which. “Horses In The Sky” sounds like the bastard child from Chiodos and The Mars Volta (it’s no wonder that Chiodos’ leadman Craig Owens lends his voice here). “Stockhausen, Es Ist Ihr Gehirn, Das Ich Suche” is an eight minute track that begins with fine piano playing in the first two and half minutes which lead into a monotone mechanical noise backed by spontaneous electronic notes. Green lends vocals here again, which completely saves this song from mediocrity. “Prayers On Fire” is an upbeat track with a female chanting Sanskrit once again. It’s interesting to listen to the first time, but after that, it becomes completely annoying, making this track very easy to skip over. “This Heat” is the first really good song on the album, displaying dark electronic undertones reminiscent of Radiohead. Keith Goodwin of Days Away is very appeasing throughout the song, keeping the mood ever present. After more noise—I mean tracks – comes the one of the best songs you’ll hear this year. “The Heretic” is a slow, haunting ballad that creeps into your head and takes you to your deepest feelings. The spoken word bridge is equally as chilling. After sitting through 12 mostly forgettable tracks, the listener is finally rewarded with this gem of a song.

Basically, what it comes down to is how patient and open-minded you are to music. I, for one, am a fan of progressive music that challenges the mind. So while Lover, The Lord Has Left Us… has its fair share of bright spots on the album (“Stockhausen,” “This Heat,” “Skullflower,” and “The Heretic”), for the most part, their idea of progressive and genre-challenging music will be far different from those listening to it, as this album is full of pretentious noise that really isn’t needed. Those who were expecting Tiger & The Duke Part 2 will be greatly disappointed and those who weren’t even expecting that will find this album a little too ambitious for its own good. One can only hope that the next time these Animals record, they realize that extra noise and useless banter does not equal an evolved or unique sound.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Intro
2. Un'aria
3. Skullflower
4. My Horse Must Lose
5. Chiracho Summit
6. Horses In The Sky
7. Stockhausen, Es Ist Ihr Gehirn, Das Ich Suche
8. Prayers On Fire
9. The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed By The Sea
10. This Heat
11. Un'aria Ancora
12. St. Broadrick Is In Antartica
13. The Heretic
14. There Can Be No Dispute That Monsters Live Among Us
Produced by: The Hyena

The Sound Of Animals Fighting are:
The Hyena
The Lynx
The Nightingale
The Penguin
The Ram
The Skunk
The Walrus
The Wolf

Release Date: May 30, 2006
Record Label: Equal Vision
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 114
10:46 PM on 06/01/06
Dudebroham
one check one love
User Info.
I really couldnt get into this, but i do love Anthony's parts.
10:46 PM on 06/01/06
FASSWcore
under lock and key
User Info.
well that's a bummer...oh well, it was a crazy creative process. i'll still buy it and check it out.
10:47 PM on 06/01/06
fakedasmile
fakedasmile
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I haven't listened to the record yet, however, I have listened to a couple of the songs and what you said is exactly how I felt about those songs. Thank you.
10:49 PM on 06/01/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by FASSWcore
well that's a bummer...oh well, it was a crazy creative process. i'll still buy it and check it out.
Yeah it is, and the four songs I mentioned that were good total like 25 minutes of the whole album, so it's still worth it kinda haha.
10:50 PM on 06/01/06
fire on my lips
COME ON YOU SPURS
User Info.
I really like the review and some of the songs on the CD. I agree with what you said.

I remember when this got pushed back people were flipping out because someone called this progressive and some people didn't agree.
Good review.
10:50 PM on 06/01/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Tiger And The Duke had some great parts, but it had so many instrumental filler tracks. They could of cut half of that cd out and it would of been the same, if not better.

As for this, I haven't heard it, but I hope it's a step up from that record.

From what you say, Drew my man, it isn't. That's such a shame.
10:56 PM on 06/01/06
avitabully
Famous Person
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The last track where the old man talks about vowels and consonants is the biggest joke i've ever heard. I mean that, too. It was just plain awful and i can only imagine that was its intent. CBOMF makes better music
11:00 PM on 06/01/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by avitabully
The last track where the old man talks about vowels and consonants is the biggest joke i've ever heard. I mean that, too. It was just plain awful and i can only imagine that was its intent. CBOMF makes better music

I'm sure they thought it was deep, original, and witty.
11:04 PM on 06/01/06
DiMo
Your Lord and Master
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
...“Un’aria,” which features female vocals.

i could swear Un'aria was sang by Craig Owens... O_o
and i actually enjoy the whole album...minus "Chiracho Summit"...

Originally Posted by avitabully

i thought he had great points. sure the way he sang wasn't as formula driven as any other song, but what he was saying basically explained why he sang it that way. if you can't appreciate all types of music, and just focus on the vowels.... then would you really have a total appreciation for music?
11:09 PM on 06/01/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by DiMo
i could swear Un'aria was sang by Craig Owens... O_o

That could be true, I couldn't tell the difference. :P
11:09 PM on 06/01/06
Jamie Pham
@jamiepham
User Info.
i liked this cd.. good review
11:11 PM on 06/01/06
Frank Giaramita
AP.net's Princess
User Info.
Yeah, I was an ENORMOUS fan of "Tiger and the Duke" but I really has trouble making it through this album. It all just sounds really forced to me, like all of the members sat down and said to themselves, "Let's just write the weirdest stuff just for the sake of being different". I don't know, I want to like this album really bad but I can't find a way to. Most of my friends are also equally as dissapointed as I am, and it's kind of a bummer because we were all really looking forward to this release and rocking it at the beach this summer.
11:12 PM on 06/01/06
DiMo
Your Lord and Master
User Info.
Originally Posted by Drew Beringer
That could be true, I couldn't tell the difference. :P
tisk tisk Drew. tisk tisk.
i heard a part of the first cd...i think some chick sang that too. :p
just playing around dood.
11:22 PM on 06/01/06
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
wtf? un'aria is craig owens. where is your ear? i figure this review would be bad though. oh well, minus the german opera and sanskrit, i think this album is really good.

edit: worded it wrong. meant for dr. drew!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos