AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Iron Age - Constant Struggle Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Iron Age - Constant Struggle

Reviewed by: Jhonn (06/02/06)
I think the first thing any band should do before venturing into the world of music is to distance themselves in some way, shape, or form, from any previous (and well known/liked) bands that you will probably end up getting compared to, and a good start would be to choose a name that won't immediately remind you of said comparable bands. Case in point: Iron Age = Cro-Mags. Aside from the several hundred millennia that separate these two time periods, you have to admit that, at least after hearing what Iron Age has to offer, the resemblance between these two bands goes further than just their names, and to boot, I don't think many new bands today are ever going to rival Age of Quarrel. Sorry for the aside, but it's a relevant point, I think. On to the actual music of Iron Age...

Hailing from Austin, TX, Iron Age seem at first glance like something every individual into older hardcore might enjoy - short and ominous song titles, great artwork, surprisingly not-already-used band name - but once one digs a little deeper, Iron Age quickly rusts. When I first listened to this record, I really wanted to like it due to the above reasons (though this has lead me in the past to repeatedly listen to some terrible hardcore bands), but something about it just wasn't clicking. As for strong points, the guitar work is certainly shredding, the drums are equally as hard-hitting, and the production is strong and clear but just gritty enough to give the record some character. Overall, though, this album is simply a little boring. The vocals are too monotonous, even by hardcore standards, and the lyrical department could stray a bit more from the norm as well. I have no doubts that the band is having little trouble garnering fans, but I'm wondering, should they remain together long enough, if Iron Age will move past this record and put out something more creative but still true to hardcore's roots.

Iron Age's Constant Struggle isn't a bad record; it just isn't that great, and I can't imagine that I'll be wanting to listen to it again any time soon. However, if you live for Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, and Wrecking Crew, or more current bands like Stand and Fight and In Control, give Iron Age a listen, as maybe they'll appeal to you regardless.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
08:53 PM on 12/18/06
brainfreeze
weeeeeeeeeeeee
User Info.
your smokin crack right?
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music