AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Abandon Kansas- We're All Going Somewhere EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 9.63
Lyrics 8.63
Production 9.63
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net

Abandon Kansas- We're All Going Somewhere EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (11/05/09)
Abandon Kansas - We're All Going Somewhere EP
Record Label: Gotee Records
Release Date: Sept. 8, 2009

Who?
Abandon Kansas is a Wichita quartet signed to Gotee Records. The six-song EP We're All Going Somewhere is their sixth release, their debut offering on Gotee and was produced by Mark Lee Townsend (Deas Vail, Relient K, House of Heroes). To date the band has logged 300+ tour dates per year and has won over fans with an energetic live show. They have shared the stage with The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, As Cities Burn and The Classic Crime, to name but a few.

How is it?
Absolutely terrific. Bristling with poise, polish and passion, the six-song treat is bursting with radio-ready hooks and chart-topping cheekiness. Album opener "The Harder They Fall," is a snappy, full-throttle rocker that leaps from the speakers. Mid-tempo second track, "I Wonder If Its Me" remarks on traveling the country and the rigors of touring, anchored by the lines, "Country kids want the city, city kids want the trees." The EPs fourth song and title track "We're All Going Somewhere" just might be its best. Punchy, passionate and bombastic, "We're All Going Somewhere," is an absolute knockout and the kind of song A and R reps dream about. From there the album continues in much the same formula, kicking with fiery drums, urgent guitars and vocalist Spring''s near perfect crooning. Of the album's last two offerings, the more memorable is closer "Close Your Eyes," whose horribly boring title is actually a misnomer for a rather engaging song.

Lyrically the band isn't exactly treading new ground. On "Make Believe," Spring sings, "I could use two lives/think of the things that we could get done/having two lives would be so much better than one/one for the things I have to do, one for the things I really want to," and while it's a nice concept it isn't exactly the stuff of legends. Being that the group is a Christian outfit, the lyrics at times do give way to mentions of Christ, God and You, but the group seem to do so in a way that isn't alienating, preachy or effusive.

If the band has a strength it is most definitely the vocals of Jeremy Spring, who sounds like an undeniable mix of Jonathan Foreman and Isaac Slade. Ripe with maturity, presence and swagger, Spring sings with conviction, clarity and crystalline efficiency. That this is the band's strength is also why the EP is also somewhat disappointing. Never once does the album slow down or yield to a ballad. Never once does Abandon Kansas display their diversity, show off their range or better yet let Spring's vocals use their lower register or showcase its tenderness. While there are a few moments during various verses where Spring has a few moments of deviation, there's never a prolonged sense of placidity or calm.

That being said, We're All Going Somewhere is a tremendous release from a band that seems almost certain to have their songs played on radio stations. We're All Going Somewhere is a truly terrific effort from a truly terrific band.

Track Listing 1.The Harder They Fall (3:50)
2. I Wonder If It's Me (3:28)
3. Make Believe (3:58)
4. We're All Going Somewhere (4:00)
5. Months And Years (3:42)
6. Close Your Eyes (3:54)

Abandon Kansas is Jeremy Spring (lead vox, guitar)
Brian Scheiderman (drums)
Brad Foster (guitar)
Nick Patrick (bass)

Recommended If You Like Switchfoot, SafetySuit, needtobreathe, Acceptance

Find Them Here Myspace
Website
Facebook
Youtube

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25.
06:07 AM on 11/05/09
mcalphabet
So it goes.
User Info.
great review. great band. they deserve a lot more attention then they get.
07:10 AM on 11/05/09
x13looDx
User Info.
They're pretty good, listened to there older stuff last night actually
07:42 AM on 11/05/09
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
got this album a while ago and its still in heavy rotation.
excellent review for a fantastic band.
08:13 AM on 11/05/09
thatdaleykid
User Info.
I went to high school with these guys. They are great
09:26 AM on 11/05/09
Brandi.
Dieu sait
User Info.
I saw them live and was very impressed by their performance, especially the vocals.
09:51 AM on 11/05/09
Parabola1124
User Info.
If they weren't a christian band they could be great. But they'll be stuck writing "meh" lyrics for the rest of time unfortunately.

GOTTA CURSE TO BE EDGY ENOUGH FOR ME, SO SORRY.
10:01 AM on 11/05/09
tD77
Spring in your step and her heart
User Info.
Good band with great potential.
10:27 AM on 11/05/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
If they weren't a christian band they could be great. But they'll be stuck writing "meh" lyrics for the rest of time unfortunately.

GOTTA CURSE TO BE EDGY ENOUGH FOR ME, SO SORRY.
Tell that to Mae. They seem to do quite fine being semi-Christian. Same goes for Anberlin. Your argument is weak, mate.
11:58 AM on 11/05/09
The Summer Ends
COYS
User Info.
yay kansas
12:35 PM on 11/05/09
SoCoSquid4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good band. my friends band has played with them a few times and are doing so again tomorrow night.
12:49 PM on 11/05/09
jonisthenewblac
User Info.
seen these guys quite a few times and played with them once or twice. They've been working pretty hard so I don't doubt they made a great EP
06:37 PM on 11/05/09
chillinlikebob
User Info.
Good stuff.
06:53 PM on 11/05/09
lonelysuperstar
Registered Member
User Info.
Tell that to Mae. They seem to do quite fine being semi-Christian. Same goes for Anberlin. Your argument is weak, mate.
You could have chosen a better example than Mae. Their recent lyrics haven't been too great. Dustin Kensrue writes incredible lyrics though. You should have gone with him.
11:21 PM on 11/05/09
manwithoutwax
User Info.
very hard working band. see this band live if you get the chance. incredible...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests