AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Decade in Music - Your Thoughts

Posted by - 11:57 AM on 11/05/09
If you've regularly kept up with my blog or my interviews, you've noticed that I've been a bit obsessive with discussing what this decade had to offer, and what we can expect in the decade to come.

We've certainly scene a flood of artists and musicians take over our lives due to Al Gore's great invention mixed with programs such as Garageband and Reason giving everyone a chance to make their voice and instrument heard. The Internet has opened up opportunity for us to hear great new bands without having to catch them as openers, but has also saturated the market for some of us as well.

Also, while pop music has always existed in some form, other genres move themselves in cycles. The 80's gave us hair metal and hip-hop, while the 90's gave us alternative rock and the true underground. How could we forget about nu-metal and boy bands before the new millennium?

So, what genre has defined this decade? What is now considered classic rock for some of us, and will be considered for others? Really, hasn't this been a great year of music to cap the first decade of the new millennium? Do you guys agree with some of the list that have come out so far from SPIN and Pitchfork? In ten years how has your musical taste changed?

Now, Rhode Island - neither a Rhode, nor and Island...discuss!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 106
11:59 AM on 11/05/09
HometownHero
User Info.
I just listen to music. I dont care about the other shit. Just the music that sounds good to me
11:59 AM on 11/05/09
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
2000s, the decade indie stopped being indie.
12:00 PM on 11/05/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I just listen to music. I dont care about the other shit. Just the music that sounds good to me
this.
12:03 PM on 11/05/09
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Ha basically this. Indie music isn't even indie anymore. The internet helped out a lot of bands and I have the feeling Itunes helped make the "artists single" alot more then what it used to mean. Because lets face it people these days sell singles not albums.
werealldudes19
I'm best known for failure
User Info.
I always wonder how I'll remember this in 10-15 years.
HometownHero
User Info.
Thats why I don't make an end of the year list. People write this magazine articles that say things such as: 50 Greatest Albums EVER. Who are they? They are just a person with an opinion too. There is absolutely no way to determine the greatest albums. Or the greatest decade. Whats overrated to me maybe gold to you. So listen to what you listen to. But yes expect shit talking from people like me. Because everyone has an opinion
map8705
User Info.
I listen to everything, but as far as a sound that defined the decade I think that in 20 years people are gonna look back and think about Green Day's American Idiot Album, Fall Out Boy, and My Chemical Romance. To me those are the bands that really stood out and there were a lot of bands that tried to copy them, which means your doing something right.
samOTG
User Info.
scene a flood?, just being padantic.

I think the 2000's was when people really started to listen to bands to be cool or trendy or different
12:05 PM on 11/05/09
Liciakasher
This is where the fish lives
User Info.
90s emo has defined this decade.

anyone who disagrees needs to wake up.
12:05 PM on 11/05/09
oldwirehands
billionsandbillions / Chris
User Info.
Post-Rock
12:06 PM on 11/05/09
AndrewIcex
Twitter: @AndrewIsler/@OceangridOH
User Info.
I will agree with that.
12:07 PM on 11/05/09
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
This! This! This! Sums up my feelings!

I love music in general, fuck genres...
12:07 PM on 11/05/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Thats why I don't make an end of the year list. People write this magazine articles that say things such as: 50 Greatest Albums EVER. Who are they? They are just a person with an opinion too. There is absolutely no way to determine the greatest albums. Or the greatest decade. Whats overrated to me maybe gold to you. So listen to what you listen to. But yes expect shit talking from people like me. Because everyone has an opinion
But I like end of the year list, because I don't see them as the best, but I see them as that person's favorite records, for whatever reason, which incites me to go back and check those albums because they obviously meant something to someone, if not a lot of people.

example: M.O.'s METN will be on a lot of list, including mine, and I think if someone passed it up the first time, then maybe seeing it on all those list will motivate them to hear a great record - in my opinion.
12:10 PM on 11/05/09
HometownHero
User Info.
But I like end of the year list, because I don't see them as the best, but I see them as that person's favorite records, for whatever reason, which incites me to go back and check those albums because they obviously meant something to someone, if not a lot of people.

example: M.O.'s METN will be on a lot of list, including mine, and I think if someone passed it up the first time, then maybe seeing it on all those list will motivate them to hear a great record - in my opinion.
Okay okay that is fine. Seeing what people like as THEIR albums of the year is cool. But magazines and such stating that they are the albums of the year kind of bothers me

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos