Password

Album Review
Eleventyseven - And The Land of Fake Believe Album Cover

Eleventyseven - And The Land of Fake Believe

Reviewed by
Eleventyseven - And the Land of Fake Believe
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Record Label: Flicker Records

What is it about pop-punk that makes the genre persistently insist on being immature? Is it that the genre tends to attract a certain type of artist, or is it that the status quo is so prevalent that no attempts are made to overturn it? Whatever perpetuates this little chicken-and-egg scenario, Eleventyseven does little to swim against the current, and releases a tired yet adept debut full-length release with And the Land of Fake Believe.

From the fist-pumping commencement of the breezy fun in "More Than a Revolution," it is readily apparent that Eleventyseven embraces the trends and generalities of the pop-punk genre, borrowing heavily from its predecessors and seeking only to provide a transitory soundtrack to your next windows-down gallivant. As this sentiment rears its head, it stays above ground for the remainder of the record, and provides a predictable gateway into "Stellar Sayonara" with its similar head-bobbing riff and soaring, but horrifically childish hook. After a safe and mediocre third track, the band turns it up with its best attempt at original insight on "MySpace." Preaching the dangers of superficial judgment, Eleventyseven combines an urgent Rufio-style backdrop with above average (by their own lowered standards) lyrical expressions to make for the album's strongest tune.

After the work's first few tracks, though, Eleventyseven shows its jeunesse with the full-length format, regressing into a putrid, vomit-inducing boy-bandish cheesefest with "Here With Me," after which the remainder of the album is less offensive, but still repetitive and somewhat boring. The tracks all run together with watercolor dilution as the hooks simply imitate earlier ones, and it quickly becomes forgettable which song is which.

For all the negative qualities exemplified by a band like Eleventyseven, the band portrays a solid potential in so many others. If the decidedly juvenile lyrics are improved on the band's next release, it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the quick-footed, "punk"-ish percussion and penchant for solid hook construction can carry these boys swiftly ahead to the next level. Until then, we are left with just another blip on the expansive pop-punk radar screen.

Recommended if you like:Hit the Lights, Simple Plan, SR-71, Mest, Amber Pacific, Rufio, Relient K, Bowling for Soup
This review is a user submitted review from Steve Henderson. You can see all of Steve Henderson's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
04:45 PM on 06/06/06
boysdontcry17
User Info.
i like your reviews because you always compare them to other bands at the end of your review. thanks for that, it really helps.
04:48 PM on 06/06/06
black rose
Nemo Nisi Mors
User Info.
wow i really loved what i heard from these guys on their purevolume/myspace but you gave it such a horrible review....i don't know if i'll go out and get it now.
04:51 PM on 06/06/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by black rose
wow i really loved what i heard from these guys on their purevolume/myspace but you gave it such a horrible review....i don't know if i'll go out and get it now.
It is not HORRIBLE, but check out this lyric sample...that is what kills it most:

That I don't need your smile
And I don't need kisses
I don't need the way you hold my hand
And everbody says
I don't know what im missing
It's almost to much for me to stand
06:16 PM on 06/06/06
irishpunk14
User Info.
Ouch.Your slammed there cd.
06:53 PM on 06/06/06
BoulevardSaint
User Info.
One of my friends from school's ex-boyfriend is this band so I was like...maybe I should check them out. Maybe not.
09:13 PM on 06/06/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
PWNED.

Nice. That's what I like to see, Power Pop getting slammed.
04:26 AM on 06/07/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by boysdontcry17
i like your reviews because you always compare them to other bands at the end of your review. thanks for that, it really helps.
Thanks, dude. I like to include that because in cases like this, where I do not care much for the CD, someone that likes the bands I list might still go check them out.
06:46 PM on 06/07/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
At least Jesus loves them…

If the following quote from Flicker Records’ vice president Troy Vest isn’t the only red flag on the freshness of Eleventyseven you need, then likely only the Apocalypse could improve your musical taste:

”Flicker Records has been looking for an artist to represent the punk genre for some time now.”

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Troy, but the ship has long sailed on the sound of your would be golden boys. Eleventyseven play jaunty pop-punk that would fit right alongside the early work of bounce artists like Blink 182 or MXPX. Vocalist Matt Langston gives his best nasal rasp as he races through the saccharine lyrics of And The Land of Fake Believe. Still, when you have choruses like this no one’s going to mistake you for Bayside:

I don’t need your smile
I don’t need your kisses
I don’t need the way you hold my hand

A Backstreet Boys’ like acoustic number (“Here With Me”) doesn’t do much for the former praise band’s credibility either. The relevancy and semi-truth of the track “MySpace” is one bright spot however. The band manages to see through the superficiality of posturing pretentiousness. Even Judas had a good day now and then.

Coming Soon to your Sounds of Worship CD: “Teenage Heartbreak, “The Unicorn Revolt”

RIYL: Bottom Line, Hawk Nelson, Relient K

Rating: 1.5/5
12:30 AM on 06/08/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by obleekness
At least Jesus loves them…

If the following quote from Flicker Records’ vice president Troy Vest isn’t the only red flag on the freshness of Eleventyseven you need, then likely only the Apocalypse could improve your musical taste:

”Flicker Records has been looking for an artist to represent the punk genre for some time now.”

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Troy, but the ship has long sailed on the sound of your would be golden boys. Eleventyseven play jaunty pop-punk that would fit right alongside the early work of bounce artists like Blink 182 or MXPX. Vocalist Matt Langston gives his best nasal rasp as he races through the saccharine lyrics of And The Land of Fake Believe. Still, when you have choruses like this no one’s going to mistake you for Bayside:

I don’t need your smile
I don’t need your kisses
I don’t need the way you hold my hand

A Backstreet Boys’ like acoustic number (“Here With Me”) doesn’t do much for the former praise band’s credibility either. The relevancy and semi-truth of the track “MySpace” is one bright spot however. The band manages to see through the superficiality of posturing pretentiousness. Even Judas had a good day now and then.

Coming Soon to your Sounds of Worship CD: “Teenage Heartbreak, “The Unicorn Revolt”

RIYL: Bottom Line, Hawk Nelson, Relient K

Rating: 1.5/5
Yeah, I plagiarized your review. Of course.
11:13 PM on 06/18/06
Phoenix_Sin
User Info.
01:03 PM on 12/22/06
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
these guys aren't bad, but like Steve said, the genre SOOOO overused. they need something more unique, like electronica/rap/metal/country/pop/hardcore/screamo/techno and ON TOP OF THAT, add a punk tune.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos