Username
Password
Hip-Hop News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Hip-Hop
Inside AP.net

Flobots Album Details

Posted by: Steve Henderson (11/11/09)
Flobots are finishing their new album for release in 2010, tentatively titled Survival Story. Tim McIlrath of Rise Against will guest on the record. Additional details and tour dates are in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
02:30 PM on 11/11/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
FLOBOTS announce Fall 2009 tour (all dates below)

Completing new album for 2010 release on Universal Republic, tentatively titled “Survival Story”
• Addresses climate change, and asks “Who will turn the tide?”
• First show November 12th in Las Vegas, culminates with two mid-December shows at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO.

Colorado based hip hop collective FLOBOTS are finishing their follow up to Fight With Tools at Blasting Room studios in Ft. Collins, CO with Mario Caldato Jr (Beastie Boys, One Day as a Lion) producing and mixing. Currently slated for an early 2010 release, the album is tentatively tiled Survival Story and guest artists include Tim McIlrath of Rise Against on the track “White Flag Warrior” and ”Infatuation” with Matt Morris of Tennman Records. Other titles include "Airplane Mode”, "The Effect", "By The Time You Get This message...", "Cracks in the Surface" and "Good Soldier".

FLOBOTS will be previewing new material on a 26 show Fall ‘09 tour that takes them across country from San Diego to Boston and back, including the “We The People Fest” in Los Angeles on November 21st. While the band have been focused on finishing their record, they have also managed to contribute time and performances to a number of non-profit benefits recently, including Concerts For Kids, and Somaly Mam Foundation. They also recently performed for members of the Energy Action Coalition at Michigan Powershift, and will be partnering with the nationwide network throughout their fall tour to help urge the Obama administration to take swift action on climate change.

FLOBOTS lead MC Jonny 5 (aka Jamie Laurie), says “our new record has a few different themes, including trying to tell a story of survival through the story of Atlantis... but the major question is ‘Who will turn the tide?’.”

Jonny says “sustainability is another one of the big subjects on the new album – climate change is getting more and more attention and will continue to do in the weeks ahead because of the Copenhagen Climate Change Treaty in December. He adds, “Fight With Tools was a rallying cry, but I think we’re moving away from slogans and toward stories. This album is a lot more personal, focusing on the contradictions in our own lives. There’s a lot of negative energy in the news right now - Darfur, Ft. Hood, Afghanistan. – we need stories that give us hope.”

“The world is an island now, “Jonny continues, “we’re up against limited resources, and there's nowhere to hide. More than ever we have to learn to live sustainably, and that means addressing things like violence, homelessness and wastefulness on a local level and trying to work together on a global level. We have no choice but to care for each other.”

Viola player Mackenzie Roberts says of FLOBOTS new music, "’I was extremely proud of [Fight With Tools], but I feel that this one really represents who we are”. Vocalist Brer Rabbit adds, "this record is really a breakthrough for us all as a collective. We really pushed ourselves, and I know I personally couldn't be happier with the growth we're showing, and the sincerity of our voice".

Jonny 5 sums it up with, "there may be people wondering how we can possibly make music on the heals of "Handlebars"... but our new album is the shit.”

A six piece collective from Denver, FLOBOTS blend songs of social justice with a playful disdain for anything status quo. Formed in 2005, FLOBOTS ‘good-fight’ mythology can be traced to Denver’s underground and creative community when various members enlivened each others’ gigs and creative events, setting the charge that would eventually power up the band’s rock/rap pedigree, and activist edge with a positive message.

FLOBOTS proved to be one of the most compelling hip hop collaboratives to sign with a major label last year. Their Fight With Tools album sold 330,000 copies, and the “Handlebars” single became a massive hit that permeated Alternative Radio and Top 40, with 1.3 million digital sales.

FLOBOTS have appeared on NBC’s “Jay Leno”, “Conan O Brien” and “Carson Daly”, and were featured in the pages of Rolling Stone, USA Today, and countless other media. The Los Angeles Times called Fight With Tools a “a focused flip-book of progressive-leaning issues,” while the Ft Worth Star-Telegram offered “…think the earthy grooves of A Tribe Called Quest fused with Lupe Fiasco’s conscious, cutting flow. Add a passion for activism — first founded as a "cohesive alternative organism" in 2005, the group has set up a nonprofit Web site (http://www.flobots.org) that connects fans to "social change" organizations — to a rapid rise in the music biz, and you’ve got the makings of a fresh, young band that’s anything but ordinary.”

FLOBOTS were a significant presence around the 2008 Democratic National Convention, and remain committed to social justice through their nonprofit destination, http://www.flobots.org

November 12, 2009 - El Premier Nightclub - Las Vegas, Nevada
November 13, 2009 - The Clubhouse - Tempe, Arizona
November 14, 2009 - Sports Arena - San Diego, California
November 16, 2009 - The Starline - Fresno, California
November 17, 2009 - Slims - San Francisco, California
November 18, 2009 - Narducci's Café - Bakersfield, CA
November 19, 2009 - Downtown Brew - San Luis Obispo, CA
November 20, 2009 - Velvet Jones in Santa Barbara, California
November 21, 2009 - "We The People Fest" @ LA Center Studios, Los Angeles
November 23, 2009 - Club Sound in Salt Lake City, Utah
November 24, 2009 - Sandbar Vail in Vail, Colorado
November 25, 2009 - three20south in Breckenridge, Colorado
November 27, 2009 - Pops in Sauget, Illinois
November 28, 2009 - Lincoln Hall in Chicago, Illinois
November 29, 2009 - The Basement in Columbus, Ohio
November 30, 2009 - Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, Ohio
December 02, 2009 - Harpers Ferry in Allston, Massachusetts
December 03, 2009 - Brooklyn Bowl in Brooklyn, New York
December 04, 2009 - The Note in West Chester, Pennsylvania
December 05, 2009 - The Recher Theatre in Towson, Maryland
December 06, 2009 - The Canal Club / Downstairs Lounge in Richmond, Virginia
December 08, 2009 - Southgate House in Newport, Kentucky
December 09, 2009 - The Waiting Room in Omaha, Nebraska
December 10, 2009 - Aggie Theatre in Fort Collins, Colorado
December 17, 2009 - Fox Theatre in Boulder, Colorado
December 18, 2009 - Fox Theatre in Boulder, Colorado
02:59 PM on 11/11/09
CongoIsACat
User Info.
I am excited for this.
03:40 PM on 11/11/09
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
Yes
04:11 PM on 11/11/09
BottomsUp
User Info.
now i have to listen to it
04:44 PM on 11/11/09
riseagainstfan
User Info.
sweet i wanna go to their show
04:47 PM on 11/11/09
Sarcasm
lostinthesound.com
User Info.
Awesome. Can't wait for another Flobots record.
04:57 PM on 11/11/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Anyone that thinks that Flobots is a one hit wonder is missing out. Fight With Tools was an unexpectedly deep and great record.
05:14 PM on 11/11/09
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
Finally!
Fight With Tools is incredible, I've been waiting for more Flobots!!
05:36 PM on 11/11/09
bladerdude360
saved latin. What did you ever do?
User Info.
I loved their last record and they were great when I saw them in concert. I'll be waiting for the new record and I hope I can make one of the Chicago concerts when I'm home for thanksgiving break.
06:19 PM on 11/11/09
cubbyman26
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anyone that thinks that Flobots is a one hit wonder is missing out. Fight With Tools was an unexpectedly deep and great record.
so true. one of the greatest and most meaningful albums in a while
07:02 PM on 11/11/09
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
Definitely excited for this. Love Flobots and really excited for Tim's part.
08:08 PM on 11/11/09
loudpunkguitar
Stand And Feel Your Worth
User Info.
i don't agree with all of their views/politics, but i absolutely love this band. gonna hit up this tour if i can.
08:34 PM on 11/11/09
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Great band, I've definitely been very curious to see what topics they hoped to tackle this time around.
09:49 PM on 11/11/09
spunkmastaflex
silkysmoooth
User Info.
their last record was pretty good, im intrigued to hear their new stuff, especially if it has Tim in it
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests