AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lawrence Arms, The - Buttsweat and Tears Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7.15
Lyrics 7.45
Production 7.2
Creativity 7.2
Lasting Value 7.7
Reviewer Tilt 7.95
Average: 74%
Inside AP.net

Lawrence Arms, The - Buttsweat and Tears

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (11/12/09)
The Lawrence Arms - Buttsweat and Tears
Release Date: October 27, 2009
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords

Upon first listen to the latest material from the Lawrence Arms (their first new release in almost four years), the casual fan will dismiss the perennial front-runners of the modern punk scene to be hashing out the same old formula: fast, roughneck, gritty punk rock we've been hearing from the Chicago threesome since 1999. However, that casual fan would be a numbskull and the failure to examine what the Lawrence Arms actually strive to do is an important aspect at determining why they continue to resonate with such a large group of punk enthusiasts. Like their peers, Rise Against and Alkaline Trio, they are growing and exploring what tools they have available to them. While the other two acts continue to flirt with the mainstream, the three Arms boys continue to do this for themselves, trying out new inspired techniques.

The old school fans of their Asian Man Records days may have very well given up on recent releases, perhaps to the broadening of the band's sound, ranging from fiercely raw punk material to slower, alt-country ballads. Then again, if a band can't expand its sound without losing a few elitists, what does it even matter? Not to be an apologist for the band's shortcomings (of which, for the record, there are very few), but the Lawrence Arms are a rare breed of punk rock and with their latest release, their creative peaks seem to be hitting their stride -- and this is after they have given us The Greatest Story Ever Told!

For the aptly-titled Buttsweat and Tears, guitarist Chris McCaughan's gentler vocals take the reigns and lead the way, careening through five songs that show the Larry Arms still have the spirit they've had for a decade, but are maturing as not only musicians -- but as human beings, too. "The Slowest Drink..." is cheerfully dreary material obviously influenced by McCaughan's side project, Sundowner, as is "The Redness in the West" (which is coincidentally sung by Kelly). The two songs are some of the most introspective work the band has recorded and could be in the nominee list for all-time best Larry Arms tracks (which, if you think about it, is funny since the songs are obviously far more alt-country than anything else they have done). Brendan Kelly kicks it off with "Spit Shining Shit," which is surprisingly more tame than one might expect. It's still very much Kelly being his same old self, just more grounded. However, when you reach "Them Angels Been Talkin'," you might be shocked to see a new, vulnerable side to his approach as a vocalist. Perhaps it's been the influence of Josh Caterer (Smoking Popes), whom Kelly played with after the band worked on side projects during the downtime since their last full-length in 2006. Just to compare: "Demons" is another example of this notion, sounding bold and flirting with a Dillinger Four-meets-Lucero sound. Give it up for the third man in this equation though: Neil Hennessey might just be the clutch man in the rotation; he is a well-oiled machine, with his steady hands bringing composure and balance to a far more rhythmic brand of punk for the band.

As a teaser for a future full-length, Buttsweat is the perfect snack to whet your appetite. If it's any indication of what is to be expected from an always-reliable band, then the Lawrence Arms have just raised the bar for any and all copycats and coattail riders. Appears that it's time to catch up, everybody - this may very well be the best EP of the year.

Recommended if You LikeDillinger Four crashing a Lucero concert, but instead deciding to play alongside them... as the Lawrence Arms.
Choice Cuts"The Redness in the West," "The Slowest Drink..." and "Them Angels Been Talkin'"

Track Listing1. Spit Shining Shit
2. The Slowest Drink at the Saddest Bar on the Snowiest Day in the Greatest City
3. Them Angels Been Talkiní
4. Demons
5. The Redness in the West
Band MembersChris McCaughan: vocals/guitar
Brendan Kelly: vocals/bass
Neil Hennessey: drums

Online VitalsOfficial Site | Official Myspace
PurchaseiTunes | Amazon MP3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48.
05:40 AM on 11/12/09
bobbyithappens
User Info.
This band is so underrated it's insane
06:20 AM on 11/12/09
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
... the band is so underrated on this site ...
06:31 AM on 11/12/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
"the redness in the west" is Brenden singing in his "singing voice", the only Chris song on the EP is "slowest drink"

other than that, great review and very sweet EP. lives up to expectations, although they are overdue for a full-length dammit. this thing is just over too quickly. i need more!
06:56 AM on 11/12/09
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
Yeah, Brendan is singing "The Redness in the West" in his "singing" voice, like what he used on that Warped Tour hidden track from Oh! Calcutta!.

I tried to hold off listening to this until I bought the 7" but I finally caved and listened to it on Youtube after reading this review. Sooooo fucking good, I guess I can be content with a 7" until I get a full-length.
07:38 AM on 11/12/09
argylecowboy
User Info.
this album, like all of their work, is amazing. There are so many hair bands on this site getting press where this album came out 2 weeks ago and took this long to get a review
07:47 AM on 11/12/09
concealer611
User Info.
Great EP, makes me excited for a full length, it is more in the vein of Oh! Calcutta! which is a good thing.
07:55 AM on 11/12/09
skatfree
Emo Hunter
User Info.
It appears I hold a love/hate relationship with you Fallon.
08:41 AM on 11/12/09
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Good review! It makes me excited for a full-length. The boys always seem capable of "pushing the pop-punk envelope" while simultaneously maintaining their identity. This E.P. is a solid example of that. Sure, a few of the songs sound similar to cuts from Oh Calcutta!, but this is a between-albums release to tide fans over...

My guess is that they have more in the tank than this E.P. lets on.
09:00 AM on 11/12/09
Dumpweed
Do you like my party tricks?
User Info.
"Buttsweat is the perfect snack to whet your appetite."

I doubt that sentence has ever been said anywhere else.
09:18 AM on 11/12/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Love this band so much its' insane. Nice review Chris. But yeah, that's Brendan on "The Redness In the West".
09:28 AM on 11/12/09
mvpp86
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have been reading on this site for years. I love music. This review totally changed my apathetic feelings about looking into this ep. The Larry Arms have been a favorite of mine for some years btw. Kudos Chris Fallon.
09:45 AM on 11/12/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Love this band so much its' insane. Nice review Chris. But yeah, that's Brendan on "The Redness In the West".
I honestly thought it was both of them -- it just sounds so different for him.
09:48 AM on 11/12/09
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
I hear you. He's sung in his clean vocals on several songs before but yeah, they do sound a little different here so I understand.
09:54 AM on 11/12/09
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
i had to do a double take too, it's an honest mistake. of course, i'm not a reviewer for absolutepunk.net *jabs fork in your side*
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests