Password

Album Review
The House of Heroes - Christmas Classics - EP Album Cover

The House of Heroes - Christmas Classics - EP

Reviewed by
House of Heroes - The Christmas Classics - EP
Release Date: November 10, 2009
Record Label: Gotee Records/Mono Vs. Stereo
I hereby delcare November 1st to be the unofficial cutoff for when you are allowed to listen to Christmas music. Anytime before that is just ludicrous and if you're not sick of it by December 26th... well, then, you and the guy behind Manheim Steamroller can live in some kind of Land of Broken Toys, where Christmas comes 365 days a year (at a price - you have to have sturdy hands in order to repair sad toys all day)! It's almost expected that House of Heroes was going to release something for the holiday season, seeing that their "Silent Night" single was such a hit with yuletiders last year (oh, and also because it is their third EP to be released this year alone). For their Christmas Classics EP, the band recorded two new holiday-themed covers to give all us snowmen and snowgirls a little festive joy when we are gift-wrapping or sledding or sitting on Santa's lap.

Normally, "All I Want For Christmas" would be a risky bet to cover. It seems ripe for cover treatment by any Disney star or electro-pop outfit, but House of Heroes actually gives the Mariah Carey cut a new life, retaining its pop core and instead pushing it to be an above-average pop-rock track (listen to how Tim Skipper can hit those high notes better than Mariah at the end). "Silent Night" is rather standard and depending on how you feel about it, this interpretation shouldn't change your mind one way or the other. The final cut, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" is a distinctive reworking, still very much a spiritual rendition of a classic but with a signature touch by the band.

The most terrific thing about this three-song EP is the lack of gimmicks. Many times, Christmas songs are a chance for bands to tinker with production and experiment with presentation. House of Heroes simply rolls out the merry attitude and delivers an early Christmas gift that is sure to keep all Noels and Noelettes warm and toasty this winter holiday season. Maybe for next year's wish list, we could ask for more of this type of thing in a larger package. Think about it House of Heroes... we'll be good - we promise!

Recommended if You LikeRelient K's Let It Snow, Baby... Let It Reindeer; um... freakin' CHRISTMAS!
Choice Cut"All I Want For Christmas is You"

Track Listing1. All I Want For Christmas is You
2. Silent Night
3. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Band MembersTim Skipper: vocals/guitar
Jared Rigsby: guitar/vocals
A.J. Babcock: bass/vocals
Colin Rigsby: drums/vocals

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace
PurchaseiTunes | Amazon MP3
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
05:00 AM on 11/12/09
Metal Now
Talking about the second and third
User Info.
House of Heroes are just a wonderful band. Will definitely get hold of this.
05:05 AM on 11/12/09
James RE Hughey
User Info.
I hope this band gets huge in the near future because they are one of the few truly deserving it. Judging by your review they can even make Christmas music enjoyable.
05:49 AM on 11/12/09
UK1phan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think AJ played on the new tracks. Does anyone know what's up with him? He hasn't been touring with them lately... I wonder if he's just taking some time off from the road again.
05:53 AM on 11/12/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I refuse to listen to Christmas songs till December 1st.
06:14 AM on 11/12/09
trappedintime
Yea, you were right about me
User Info.
They sure like treating their fans right.
06:58 AM on 11/12/09
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
The End Is Not The End remains one of my top two albums of the past few years. I NEED another full length from these bros.
07:01 AM on 11/12/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Hrm. November 1st is still way too early, with the exception of Cracker's "Merry Christmas Emily," which sounds great all year long.
07:26 AM on 11/12/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Hrm. November 1st is still way too early, with the exception of Cracker's "Merry Christmas Emily," which sounds great all year long.
Yes it does!
07:36 AM on 11/12/09
James RE Hughey
User Info.
I don't think AJ played on the new tracks. Does anyone know what's up with him? He hasn't been touring with them lately... I wonder if he's just taking some time off from the road again.
Seems that this band bounces back and forth from a foursome to a threesome often.
08:50 AM on 11/12/09
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
My cutoff is once Thanksgiving is over, I have never been one to celebrate any holiday until the previous one is over.
09:48 AM on 11/12/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I made the new cutoff -- we aren't debating this, people. I call the shots around here and that is how it is. LAWYER'D!
09:55 AM on 11/12/09
monkeytarget
User Info.
I really want this, but it's not on itunes in sweden.
09:57 AM on 11/12/09
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I put his name down just in case -- haven't seen anything that formally suggests he is no longer with the band or not, so I just left him in there.
10:07 AM on 11/12/09
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I really want this, but it's not on itunes in sweden.
Holy crap it's Octomammoth!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version