Username
Password
AP.net Related News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 201.
05:53 PM on 11/12/09
meroki22
MYOPINIONISRIGHTERTHANYOU RSRAAWWR!
User Info.
If you give me a youtube link to a good MGMT song, I will listen, but I have never heard anything good from them. MY favorite bands on my profile were made a while ago, and I listen to a huge range of music. I'm in a synth-heavy indie band, so you would think I'd like MGMT, but they just don't write good music.

3oh!3 don't use Garage Band, they use Reason. They actually make interesting beats and they are way more original musically than most other mainstream rap acts. Their lyrics aren't meant to be good, and I'm not saying they are. I can understand if you don't like rap and don't want to listen to them. I'm just saying I respect their music, especially in comparison to MGMT.

If you make it big fiddling with poo and making bad music, let me know.
Also, if music is not about having fun, what is it about? Expressing yourself. What if expressing yourself means having fun? In fact, I think that every band out there should be having fun or they should call it quits. I don't care how good you are, if you don't enjoy it, whats the point?
To each their own I guess. I really enjoyed Oracular Spectacular but I know tons of people who hated it. My point is that a band shouldn't be judged on how well they market themselves it should be based on the quality and integrity of the music. You may think that MGMT sucks and that's okay but they aren't doing duets with Katy Perry and running around in their underwear to attract the tween fan base, the only demographic buying records anymore. It just seems so manufactured and gimmicky to me.

Oh and about the whole "The Bands You Listen To" thing, I usually hate when people do that. But I just couldn't stand the thought of arguing with someone about the quality of a mainly electronic band when this person doesn't listen to anything but mainstream pop punk. Clearly that isn't you. Anyways I guess this is just one I'll agree to disagree.
05:58 PM on 11/12/09
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
To each their own I guess. I really enjoyed Oracular Spectacular but I know tons of people who hated it. My point is that a band shouldn't be judged on how well they market themselves it should be based on the quality and integrity of the music. You may think that MGMT sucks and that's okay but they aren't doing duets with Katy Perry and running around in their underwear to attract the tween fan base, the only demographic buying records anymore. It just seems so manufactured and gimmicky to me.

Oh and about the whole "The Bands You Listen To" thing, I usually hate when people do that. But I just couldn't stand the thought of arguing with someone about the quality of a mainly electronic band when this person doesn't listen to anything but mainstream pop punk. Clearly that isn't you. Anyways I guess this is just one I'll agree to disagree.
Oh, of course music is about the music and not the marketing. I'm just saying they aren't two stupid kids that picked up a mac and added some autotune and started touring the country. 30h!3 isn't the best band out there (they're far from it), but I was just arguing I think they write better music than MGMT. Agreeing to disagree sounds nice here.

I understand. I always get written off or given shit for defending pop music because people think only someone ignorant to music that isn't on MTV could like it.
06:07 PM on 11/12/09
Alison1488
____
User Info.
I've always been terrible at placing bands in a specific genre (because there are so many and various sub-genres and nuances within each), but I think the next trend for music is going to be "indie"/"folk" music: Death Cab for Cutie, Owl City, Band of Horses, Vampire Weekend, etc., etc. (Yes, I know these are bad examples because they have been together for years.)

I feel this way because I've been listening to a lot more of this type of music lately. Not saying that my taste determines the trend, but bands like this are becoming more readily available. You're hearing these types of bands and music being incorporated into tv and movie soundtracks more and more often. That's my guess.
06:57 PM on 11/12/09
JoshAugustine
Registered Fuck Up
User Info.
If Only We Could Flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy y!!!!!
Limp Bizkit style!
07:00 PM on 11/12/09
Imperfektion
All I need are sounds of ecstasy.
User Info.
I hope this fad fades faster. I'm getting sick of all the neon and shitty autotune.
07:03 PM on 11/12/09
gy.haney
Geoff
User Info.
However, I think it's totally up for grabs in terms of new trends. I would like to see indie or folk take more of a presence, though I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Um, have you seen the track list for the New Moon soundtrack? I'd say indie is about two radio plays away from no longer being indie. What will we call it then???

My response to Mike Flanagan's awesome post (from the link in the first comment of this thread) is as follows, in case anyone's bored and wants to kill a couple minutes...

"As an avid, die-hard 27-year-old pop-punker, the subject of just what happened to the scene crosses my mind often. Iíd like to share a few thoughts.

I agree to an extent that FOB kinda ruined it for everyone. But let us not forget that Take This To Your Grave was undeniable influential to a whole slew of good music. TTTYG is one of my favorite albums of all time. Yes, as it got popular, I wanted to not like it. I heard everyone talking about how great of a song ďGrand Theft AutumnĒ was and how much I would like this band and I was still grieving over the fact that The Starting Line couldnít seem to land on the right label to showcase their amaze talent while these FOB ďhacksĒ where landing radio play. Of course once I gave in, I found the disk to be right up my alley.
The problem of FOBís rise to fame and the sceneís fall from grace lies more in Patrick than in Pete. Patrick writes the music. Pete might sell a look, but itís the dancey, hip-hop wanna-be tracks that Patrick writes that are selling on iTunes. Sugar Weíre Going Down was only the beginning. I find that cut-for-rock-radio, Creed rip-off actually TOLERABLE compared to This Ainít a Scene (Itís An Arms Race). Dear Lord! Patrick wants to do something different. All well and good. And I happen to love good hip-hop. I think Patrickís work on Gym Class Heroesí The Quilt album (he produced over half of it) is sick. But that is not what I ever wanted to hear from FOB. But after they took that leap, the rest of the pack (Panic!ís rise, Gabe from Midtown starting Cobra Starship, Skiba working with JEFFREY STAR of all effing peopleÖ) followed suite.

And we can all sit around and blame All Time Low for this, too. But I wonít do it. I think they are actually a really good band. Sure, they got lumped into the haircut bands, but theyíre not them. Having seen both Metro Station AND ATL live, they are not there at all! And Iím a firm believer in the stupidity of the lyrical content most of these new bands are spitting out. But I donít find ATL writing a tongue-in-cheek love song to Stella Artois or a play on words (Holly, would/Hollywood You Turn Me On) track to be any more damaging to kids than Blinkís songs about boners and jerking off were. For me to be disgusting it boils down to IMAGE with these new bands, and I donít think ATLís image is overtly sexual. (Unlike, say, Cobra Starship or 3Oh!3)

I look at bands like ATL and Cartel not as pop-punk bands, but as power-pop bands, no different in relationship to their punkier cousins than Eve 6 or American Hi-Fi were to Blink or Sum 41. And NFGís Coming Home is more like akin to a radio-friendly Lit album than a traditional NFG album. As long as the spirit of pop-punk is there (even when it comes out sorta power-poppy) Iíve got no beef. The problems arise when bands put down their guitars and pick up their drum machines and synthesizers. Ask yourself why in Godís name crappy bands like Shinedown and Hinder are the only bands on the radio who still play actual instruments? I find more problems with this reality than I do with some dumb-ass kid wanting to bounce around to Katy Perry at Warped Tour.

Try not to think of these neons as punk-pop. The problems only become worse when we inside the scene let these posers think they took something from us. Most of the impressionable youth that rock out to Metro Station rocked out to Miley Cyrus before hand, not New Found Glory. It isnít punk anything to them. It only looks similar to us because they swiped certain elements of our style and attitude and marketed it to the Disney generation. Itís vapid and stupid and itís a shame, but it shouldnít effect OUR view of our own scene!

There are tons of good bands out there right now. Living With Lions, The Loved Ones, Four Year Strong, Polar Bear Club, The Wonder Years, Fireworks, Set Your Goals, on and on and on. And theyíre only a click away. Ignore the bullshit and find something that speaks to you ó trust me, itís still around. Rocking hard and being true to yourself will NEVER die."

Geoff
Soundtrack To A Suburb
07:03 PM on 11/12/09
Fuckmaxbemis
Yeah, I'm trying to be a dick.
User Info.
Internet has fucked everything up. The internet needs to die.
07:27 PM on 11/12/09
brobertvunter
brobertvunter
User Info.
my buddy wrote a great article relating to this...

http://mikeflanagan1.wordpress.com/
That article/blog/whatever was a really good assessment of pop-punk's legacy. Nice job Mike Flanagan.
07:29 PM on 11/12/09
updownleftright
grant.
User Info.
With the understanding that everyone else in the scene is livid about the fad, maybe people will finally do something to stop this from ever, EVER happening again.

Also, I enjoy seeing the response of better music to counteract the ridiculous stuff that is out there.
gottcha. good answer. might use that myself haha.
07:31 PM on 11/12/09
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
this thread brings me back to my days in my high school debate club...when I was obsessed with Rx Bandits' Progress and excited about discovering new music...if I never lose that feeling, life will be good, and good music will forever live on!
07:33 PM on 11/12/09
SteffRyanFail
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is going to sound laughable but i feel like the trend changes really made me miss out on a lot. from ages 11-14 (2003-2006) i was listening to very different music from my peers. i remember begging to go to warped 2005 and 2006 but i wasn't allowed to. of course looking back i realize it really would have been a terrible idea to go, but still i feel a sense of regret. now i can go to see all time low and the maine as much as i want, but it will clearly never compare to what i missed those years ago.
if the music scene had stayed the way it was for just about 2 more years i would have been able to really feel like a part of it, rather than just a home listener.

but music changes and bands change and its just how things are. i just really wish i was born a few years earlier.
I with you on this.
I would have loved to have gone to warped in 2005 (I think thats the year, maybe not. I just remember being like "but... I wanna go...")

The scene around here is awful. I know too many cool people who are giving in to the neon trend just so their bands will get some recognition.
Just yesterday this kid who is in one of the few pop-punk bands around here sent me a facebook invite to go see his new band. When I listened to the music I felt sick. I didn't want to say yes or maybe because I know I would never go see them ever. But then I felt so awful clicking "no" because I know he's in an alright band (even if they're not really a good band, they at least were making music that was fun and, in my opinion, real)
07:41 PM on 11/12/09
Javs
pretentious
User Info.
Neon will eventually phase itself out. The crunkcore trends of music will die as well, just as the whole "emo-Hawthorne Heights" trend died out after a year or two. However, I think it's totally up for grabs in terms of new trends. I would like to see indie or folk take more of a presence, though I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

From 1999 to 2009, we saw the rise and fall of both Drive Thru and Fueled By Ramen. In the years to come, I, like probably 90% of this site, would like to see the resurrection of both labels. And, if DTR can't get their shit together, just give me my god-damned Early November DVD and I'll shut up.
Well, the hawthorne heights emo trend never did die, it just evolved. First it was just hawthorne heights-esque music, then it was hawthorne heights-esque music with deathmetal growls thrown in. Then it was that and synths with techno bridges, and now its just all synth with shitty ass screaming.
08:43 PM on 11/12/09
Javs
pretentious
User Info.
I don't think it's fair to say people that listened to Hawthorne Heights now listen to Brokencyde. You're just describing how trends have evolved. The people that gave into the HH trend did not necessarily give in to Brokencyde-esque trends, and vice versa.
Age group plays a large role. Hawthorne heights got popular when i was 14. Brokencydes fans are prominently that age. To be honest, I feel that the young people who gave in to HH would give in to brokencyde if it came out then. Now that the HH fans are all older, better music taste developes (most of the time) and we push bands like brokencyde down the shit gutter. But as i remember, people older than me were talking shit about HH back in the day too.
08:57 PM on 11/12/09
makeoutmags
every moment bleeds into one
User Info.
Age group plays a large role. Hawthorne heights got popular when i was 14. Brokencydes fans are prominently that age. To be honest, I feel that the young people who gave in to HH would give in to brokencyde if it came out then. Now that the HH fans are all older, better music taste developes (most of the time) and we push bands like brokencyde down the shit gutter. But as i remember, people older than me were talking shit about HH back in the day too.

dude i gotta disagree. understand the point you're making but maybe HH aren't the best example for it. "Ohio is for Lovers" didn't do the same thing to me as a 15 year old as whatever that Brokencyde song is about is doing to kids now - getting fucked up with 40s in the parking lot of Walmart? it also wasn't as popular as that neon music is. i remember being the only person in my entire school to even know who HH were. it's different now. believe me, i've asked a lot of kids about this and most of them will tell you that Warped Tour is something most kids in their class aspire to go to every summer. the bands playing on Warped Tour like The Maine or Every Avenue etc etc are the music of the popular kids - they are popular groups. most teenagers know them. maybe my school was different but as of 2003 i was one of few of my peers who had a desire to attend a "punk" summer festival. most of the "rock fans" at my school were into jam bands, Phish, Dave Matthews. not NOFX, not Bad Religion, not even stuff like SoCo or NFG.
09:05 PM on 11/12/09
gy.haney
Geoff
User Info.
I see what you're saying, but my point is that I don't see it getting those "two plays." Twilight's soundtracks are a step in the right direction, for now, and I honestly hope that the acts on that soundtrack eventually see some radioplay, that's why I posted that I hope it does. It's just that I don't feel like enough of those acts will catch on to the point where folk becomes the new pop like pop punk and emo have in the past. In other words, a few indie and folk acts will catch on and break through to mainstream, but overall, the indie and folk acts will probably be few and far between in terms of total mainstream success. All in all, I'm just saying that indie is definitely getting more popular, and I'm not sure if it's still fair to call it "indie" at this point given it's successes and recent mainstream allure, but the indie acts that are on the radio or in the public eye are few and far between.
Well it's good that you at least encourage success for the bands you like. I'm merely stating that ten years ago an "indie" band being on the soundtrack to a massively huge movie (which, like it or not, New Moon will be) would be unheard of. It's kind of odd because I don't really listen to indie that when I happen to hear of a band I think they must be way bigger than they are. You know, because they aren't in my wheelhouse and generally don't cross my ears. The same thing happens all the time in pop-punk. People hear Green Day, Blink, and Sum 41 and they think that is all pop-punk has to offer, pop-punk is huge, and pop-punk all sounds the same. But really they don't know what they're talking about.

Which is pretty much the case for me when I try to discuss indie rock. :P
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests