Normally my hipster-tool instincts would suggest contempt for so many new people getting into vinyl, but I'm really loving all the new people getting into it because it's making a lot more records available and it's fun sharing love of the format with others. I'd say these have been my favorite releases on vinyl of the year:
1) Minus the Bear - Acoustics So crisp, so beautifully done, and with a really great tracklist. The baby blue/cream swirl is gorgeous, too.
2) As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take It With You Great album, and the vinyl had a bunch of great bonus tracks. Picked mine up at their in-store acoustic set at Rasputin, so they signed my copy (along with my self-titled and Into The Flood) to me and my now-fiancee.
3) Discovery - LP Just a really fun record. It has its ups and downs but it's a great party album to throw onto the turntable.
4) Andrew Bird - Noble Beast 180 gram double-LP with gorgeous artwork, and you can really feel the warmth on this record. This was actually a birthday present for my fiancee.
5) Matt & Kim - Grand Albums like this one just work so well as a cohesive work, I think someone is robbing themselves of an experience when they just play at track or two from it. Definitely the pair's best.
Oh, also worth noting (aside from Diary being an awesome repress): last year, when I picked up ...is a Real Boy by Say Anything, I was really disappointed because I opened it to see two black LP's instead of green. I loved color vinyl and could have sworn the record came with forest green wax.
Then I later saw this on the Doghouse Records website:
Say Anything Vinyl: Pressing Plant Error
The recent re-release of Say Anything Is A Real Boy LP was mistakenly pressed on black vinyl. There are only 150 copies looming about out there without the color versions. This was a pressing plant error. These black vinyl copies are of course super rare but if you would prefer your copy on color vinyl, contact us here at Doghouse Records and we will gladly accept your return. Sorry for any inconvenience.
I just got into Vinyl this year-
Since then I've build a pretty nifty collection.
Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning
Alkaline Trio - Alkaline Trio
Alkaline Trio - Remains
Alkaline Trio - Crimson
Alkaline Trio - Goddammit
Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
Alkaline Trio – From Here to the Infirmary
The Ataris - So Long Astoria
The Ataris - End is Forever
The Ataris - Welcome the Night
Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
Bright Eyes - Lifted: or the story stays in the soil
Bright Eyes - I'm wide Awake It's Morning
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
Dear and the Headlights - Drunk Like Bible Times
Dear and the Headlights - Small Steps Heavy Hooves
Death Cab For Cutie – Plans
Dashboard Confessional – A Mark. A Mission. A Brand. A Scar
Dashboard Confessional – The Shade of The Poison Tree
Farewell Continental – 7”
The Format - Snails EP
The Format - Time Bomb EP
Fun. - Aim & Ignite
Gallows - Orchestra of Wolves
Gallows - Grey Britian
The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About
The Killers - Sawdust
Matt & Kim - Grand
Miniature Tigers - Tell it to the Volcano
Miniature Tigers - Black Magic
Miniature Tigers - White Magic
Motion City Sountrack – I am the movie
Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me
My Chemical Romance - I brought you my Bullets you brought me your Love
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the black parade
The Postal Service – Give Up
Reggie and the Full Effect - In the dust Sleeve (a.k.a Under the Tray)
Say Anything - Is a Real Boy...
The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bullocks
The Swellers – My Everest
The Swellers - Welcome Back Riders 7"