AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Brighter Shades - 11.09.09

Interviewed by
Brighter Shades - 11.09.09The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Brighter Shades

They also have their entire album for free here.

1. How did you get your band name?
We got our name from a set of lyrics that Trevor was working on involving the change of the seasons (“and greens flush out to brighter shades”) As soon as he said it I think that we all sort of knew that that was it.

2. How did this band get started?
We were originally another band called Gatsby Gets the Green Light. We dropped a member and decided to start anew.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
At this point there are just too many influences to point anyone specific. We all bring various backgrounds to the table and really keep each other in check to create a balance. We strive for solid songwriting, lyrical content, and melodies.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Stevie Wonder, Supertramp, Jellyfish, and the Jonas Brothers. The first three are just amazing and come on it’s the Jonas Brothers! Next stop Brighter Shades in 3D hitting theatre’s near you

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
A duck billed platypus because they’re a complete enigma. They’re the only mammal that lays eggs and they’re poisonous. I mean honestly, wtf?!

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because they want to and no other reason. We want to make music that doesn’t warrant a sales pitch. If you’re interested you can download our entire album for free at www.brightershades.net

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I’d have to say “Pick a Day” except the guitar would play some of the horn parts. I think that question is bullshit though. I’d blow it in a second because I suck at Guitar Hero, but my roommate who can beat me when he’s piss drunk and standing two inches from the screen could whoop it.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents for putting up with our shit over the years as well as anyone and everyone that gave us the time of day. Also I’d dare say that Lucifer probably played his fair part in making it happen (joking)

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would like to see a return to more artist development.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Sleeping in an abandoned house that was still owned by the person that invited us there. Turns out her dad committed suicide in the shower that we had just showered in. Talk about traumatic…but memorable. From that point forth we stuck with the honeymoon suite at motels or sleeping in our van.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net means the most up to date music news about the bands that I care about.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Replaced off of our You Shine So Bright album. That song just explodes

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Greece! Never been, but I hear they have good hot dogs.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
SR-71 and Anti-Flag

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to teleport. This going to sound nerdy, but I’m completely obsessed with where electrons go when they pop in and out of existence. Are they going to another universe where the people there are also wondering where the electrons go when they pop in and out of existence there? I’d like to solve that mystery.

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I think that the “it” begins and ends wherever you see it. What is your definition of making it? As far as commercial success goes, not yet, but trying damn hard to get there. We’ll meet you at the “it”

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Trevor and I are first cousins. Matt is an honorary part of the family

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas! It’s guaranteed that I’ll be having Chinese food and seeing a movie.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play music and roll around with my dog.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can make the most obscenely real sounding arm farts. They can involve a change of pitch, longevity, and amount of wetness. One of my favorite things to do is go into a public bathroom and just rip away on the arm butt.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
03:09 PM on 11/13/09
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Like their EP a lot. Wonder when I can expect more music?

"Are they going to another universe where the people there are also wondering where the electrons go when they pop in and out of existence there?"
My answer: It's an alternate universe, so they must know where the electrons are going. Which means they must know all about us.
03:46 PM on 11/13/09
rocktwin22
Hey! That's my line!
User Info.
Great album from these guys! I hope they'll "make it" commercially because they have a unique sound that needs to be noticed! Love the trumpet in the songs - so awesome!
04:14 PM on 11/13/09
Eurotrash Drock
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i dont listen to much pop but i saw these guys at their cd release party and they were amazing live. color me impressed.
10:18 PM on 11/13/09
kaduck2007
User Info.
Have had their cd for awhile now, and must admit that its quite enjoyable. Reading this makes me think that they are some nice dudes.
10:15 AM on 11/14/09
BrighterShades
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Like their EP a lot. Wonder when I can expect more music?

"Are they going to another universe where the people there are also wondering where the electrons go when they pop in and out of existence there?"
My answer: It's an alternate universe, so they must know where the electrons are going. Which means they must know all about us.
Whereas that is possible I feel I have to ask, what if there are more than just this universe and the alternate universe. Multiple universes (universi?) that vary by little changes. If you were to assume that they know what we don't know, then you have to assume that everything that we know is stuff that they don't know. Personally I think there are infinite amounts of universes all working side by side to each other and even at times overlapping. Just a thought though. I love these conversations because they always spawn off into a million other conversations that will never get resolved, but still interesting to talk about every time.
10:21 AM on 11/14/09
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Whereas that is possible I feel I have to ask, what if there are more than just this universe and the alternate universe. Multiple universes (universi?) that vary by little changes. If you were to assume that they know what we don't know, then you have to assume that everything that we know is stuff that they don't know. Personally I think there are infinite amounts of universes all working side by side to each other and even at times overlapping. Just a thought though. I love these conversations because they always spawn off into a million other conversations that will never get resolved, but still interesting to talk about every time.
If they don't know what we know, then that's a lot not to know... how can they survive?

How to make fire, the wheel, the simple evolutions of our existence they wouldn't know about.
10:51 AM on 11/14/09
BrighterShades
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If they don't know what we know, then that's a lot not to know... how can they survive?

How to make fire, the wheel, the simple evolutions of our existence they wouldn't know about.
Ha yes I understand, and that's kind of the point I'm making. I don't dispute that what you said is possible; only putting out the thought that there are more than one other universe. Not to get off topic, but i'm glad to hear you liked our ep. It really means a lot. Have you heard our Death Cab for Cutie cover?
11:05 AM on 11/14/09
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
Ha yes I understand, and that's kind of the point I'm making. I don't dispute that what you said is possible; only putting out the thought that there are more than one other universe. Not to get off topic, but i'm glad to hear you liked our ep. It really means a lot. Have you heard our Death Cab for Cutie cover?
I just listened on the myspace. It's good. Except in one alternate universe, it's horrible. And in another it's a cover of The Postal Service's "Sleeping In".
EDIT TO ADD: If we imagine there being alternate universes, there must be an alternate universe where they're imagining themselves not existing?
05:41 PM on 11/15/09
itaketoberlin
respect the process
User Info.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can make the most obscenely real sounding arm farts. They can involve a change of pitch, longevity, and amount of wetness. One of my favorite things to do is go into a public bathroom and just rip away on the arm butt.

................................... .............?
08:55 PM on 11/15/09
BrighterShades
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oh come on thom, i could have sworn that you've heard it.
01:38 PM on 11/16/09
atliscoolbeans
User Info.
these guys are awesome :)
01:51 PM on 11/16/09
atliscoolbeans
User Info.
oh and i didnt know you guys were cousins! the first time i saw you i actually thought you were all brothers... :P
02:34 PM on 11/16/09
BrighterShades
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hahah that would be pretty epic. about as close as brothers though

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT