Album Review

Run Kid Run - This is Who We Are Album Cover

Run Kid Run - This is Who We Are

Reviewed by
Run Kid Run - This is Who We Are
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records

Overall Score: [8.0]
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
June may have just begun, but Run Kid Run has brought summer to us a little early this year. One of Tooth & Nail’s latest offerings, Run Kid Run’s debut album is a surprisingly refreshing mixture of melody, cheer, and energy. Separating themselves from the pack with a message of hope and promise for the future, Run Kid Run often avoids typical pop-punk music cliché’s about girls and heartbreak by leaning in the direction of an uplifting message in a spiritual nature. Make no mistake, this band is out to play for God, and they don’t hide their message on this record. While at times the lyrics are blunt as can be, the hooks are big enough to make the record enjoyable to anyone, no matter what their personal affliction is. And chances are, they’ll find themselves humming along to 10 fantastic choruses.

Run Kid Run has a true gift for constructing memorable songs. While many bands in this genre write songs that stick initially and fade fast, Run Kid Run’s song structures are basic but are emphasized by absolutely gigantic choruses (read: Cartel). All it takes is one listen to have many of the songs on this record memorized, yet they prove lasting over time. “The Call Out” is the strongest track on the record, combining well-crafted verses with an anthemic chorus. The album’s later tracks tend to steer towards more spiritual, as songs like “I’ll Forever Sing” have lines as clear as “I’ll worship you Lord, forever.” This is Who We Are often comes off as a worship CD disguised under a pop-punk façade. This may put off some listeners, but if you’re willing to simply enjoy sing along to catchy music without any real concern for lyrics, then this is an album for you.

While the vocals aren’t perfect, the music isn’t groundbreaking and the lyrics cheesy at times, Run Kid Run has put forth a surprisingly solid debut release. Everything is executed well, and the album packs that overall crunch listeners have come to expect from producer James Paul Wisner. Sometimes, an album’s fun factor outweighs every flaw that you’d expect to bring an album’s enjoyment level down, and this is definitely the case with Run Kid Run. The songs are enjoyable without being spoon-fed, and the lyrics, while not outstanding, are certainly a thousand times better than label mate Hawk Nelson. One of the year’s finest pop-punk CDs, this record will have a good chunk of lasting value for its genre. If you like Cartel and Hawk Nelson, then you’ll enjoy this record.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
11:51 AM on 06/08/06
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
i love the entire cd, "the call out" is such a kick ass song!!!!!!
11:51 AM on 06/08/06
basketcase_006
dislikes his username
User Info.
"Holy Spirit, please come back in" - this line really made me cringe. Some of the tracks kick ass though, "The Call Out" is indeed a fine example. Good review.
12:21 PM on 06/08/06
kshtoinks12
Au Revoir Shoshana!
User Info.
awesome band, i dont have this yet though :(
12:27 PM on 06/08/06
Ruggiero2oo8
don't worry, be happy
User Info.
good cd.
01:00 PM on 06/08/06
coolstuff
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very good band, one of my favourite... This cd is awesome....
01:03 PM on 06/08/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
awesome review scott. i love this album.
01:38 PM on 06/08/06
kg00d
Hockey consumes my life
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Very good album forsure.
01:49 PM on 06/08/06
Hidenothing27
User Info.
i find this cd very repetitive and boring. This style of music is so generic and a carbon copy of so many other bands.
01:59 PM on 06/08/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Hidenothing27
i find this cd very repetitive and boring. This style of music is so generic and a carbon copy of so many other bands.

I'd probably think the same thing.
02:00 PM on 06/08/06
FrostedFlames
User Info.
I like the first half of this cd a lot. The second half seems to have more religious lyrics. As a non-religious person, I can still enjoy this cd and even went to their concert here in Portland just a week ago.
02:12 PM on 06/08/06
HollywoodAbalze
doog it
User Info.
i agree, the call out is the best and the song that grabbed my attention the most, i still lsiten to that song a day
02:20 PM on 06/08/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Hidenothing27

That's what i thought at first. I didnt listen to it past the first track.

I'm giving it another chance now though.
02:33 PM on 06/08/06
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
that first song is so damn catchy
03:27 PM on 06/08/06
WSUskee
Seattle Scenester
User Info.
I have been really surprised by this band in a good way. The CD is pretty good and I have to agree with the review for the most part. I am liking this much more than the Classic Crime CD.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos