AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

05:53 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
bears clap loud
No Avatar Selected
Next semester I'll be studying abroad in Sevilla, so I was wondering if any of you had any good recommendations for Spanish indie bands to listen to. Thanks!
06:06 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
Skadrist
Más mexicano que vos
Dallas, (Pleasant...
Male - 27 Years Old
You mean Spanish speaking or straight up Spanish bands? What do you mean by indie and do you mean similar to the American equivalent of what indie is now?
06:28 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
Western MA
Male - 29 Years Old
Los Planetas
06:31 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
fly_guy
End in sight, we must fight
Lincoln, Nebraska
Male
07:58 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
bears clap loud
No Avatar Selected
You mean Spanish speaking or straight up Spanish bands? What do you mean by indie and do you mean similar to the American equivalent of what indie is now?

I mean indie rock bands in the language of spanish. Bands from spain would be good. I'm just looking for stuff to listen to in spanish to fully immerse myself in the language.

so really, you decide what i mean haha
08:01 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
blebbio
Registered Member
No Avatar Selected
Massachusetts
Male - 19 Years Old
El Guincho is pretty good.
08:06 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
Broclee
Dude, this is so Inception.
Greensboro, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
I'm posting because this might be relevant to my interests.
08:12 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
briewer
sunonthesand.com
Urbana, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
Delorean.
09:25 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
johnnybb
paying dues
New York City
Male - 29 Years Old
Senor Loop
09:47 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
Skadrist
Más mexicano que vos
Dallas, (Pleasant...
Male - 27 Years Old
I mean indie rock bands in the language of spanish. Bands from spain would be good. I'm just looking for stuff to listen to in spanish to fully immerse myself in the language.

so really, you decide what i mean haha

I know Spanish music fairly well. I can't really give you a Spanish speaking equivalent of a Death Cab for Cutie or the like but I am going to give you some of my favorite bands.

BTW what's your major I take the study abroad is to knock out your Spanish hours? Also how well do you know Spanish?

Ojos de Brujo a Spanish (Catalan to be more exact) offer a really unique mix of Flamenco and Hip-Hop. Odd concept I know but it works really well.

Cafe Tacuba, Mexico. These guys have been called Mexico's Radiohead by critics. There old sound was very eclectic though there recent albums aren't as adventurous as their old ones they are still a solid and quality bands. These guys are generally regarded as one of Latin America's premier bands and the argument could be made that they are one of the premier bands of this hemisphere.

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Argentina. A great Ska and Reggae band with more than fifteen years in the biz. These guys have been back together for a year after a nearly decade long break up. Their old stuff is great it is such awesome energetic music that I really dig, the music lends itself well to football, and by that I mean soccer.

Lila Downs, Mexico. Aside from dressing like she is right out of a Jesus Helguera painting her music is great; she is a great blend of Mexican folk with a more modern twist. If she sounds familiar it was might be because you heard her in the movie Frida. I have just recently gotten into her. Check out here presentation of an old song.

09:53 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
bears clap loud
No Avatar Selected
I know Spanish music fairly well. I can't really give you a Spanish speaking equivalent of a Death Cab for Cutie or the like but I am going to give you some of my favorite bands.

BTW what's your major I take the study abroad is to knock out your Spanish hours? Also how well do you know Spanish?

Wow, thanks that's incredible. Yeah i'm a spanish/political science. I know spanish pretty well, (actually i spent tonight speaking only spanish, i drove my roommate insane) I have a long ways to go before I'm fluent, but I'm definitely conversational. I'm taking that you have a lot of experience with the spanish language?

Thanks for the music, that's exactly what i'm looking for
09:57 PM on 11/15/09 
User Info.
Skadrist
Más mexicano que vos
Dallas, (Pleasant...
Male - 27 Years Old
Wow, thanks that's incredible. Yeah i'm a spanish/political science. I know spanish pretty well, (actually i spent tonight speaking only spanish, i drove my roommate insane) I have a long ways to go before I'm fluent, but I'm definitely conversational. I'm taking that you have a lot of experience with the spanish language?

I am a native speaker. I was born in Mexico and I came to the States before I was one. Heh we are both in the same ballpark I am a History/spanish major, 9 hours left in Spanish after this semester.
10:23 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
mathy3890
I'm walking, who's laughing now??
Female

Haha that's what I'm studying...I'm spending my year abroad next year.

If you want something less known, Cybee (http://www.myspace.com/cybee4), they're from Barcelona :)
10:52 AM on 11/16/09 
User Info.
joelibyan
No Avatar Selected
miami, fl
Male - 31 Years Old
Kudos on Ojos de Brujo... Love them... Also, a fun, though not necessarily "indie" band from Spain is Estopa. They will definitely help you with your vocabulary, though.
03:52 PM on 12/01/09 
User Info.
Skadrist
Más mexicano que vos
Dallas, (Pleasant...
Male - 27 Years Old
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=dm_ty_alb

Free Spanish music sampler. Pretty awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos