AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Deas Vail - Birds and Cages Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.17
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 9.29
Production 9.25
Creativity 7.46
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.04
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Deas Vail - Birds and Cages

Reviewed by: Bostancic25 (11/16/09)
Deas Vail - Birds and Cages
Record Label: Mono vs. Stereo
Release Date: Oct. 27, 2009

Deas Vail may very well be just one more band to add to the ever growing list of the many underrated artists that populate the scene today. With the release of their debut album All These Houses Look The Same just two years ago, the band pulled at the heartstrings of those willing to take a moment and indulge in a musical fanfare. Bringing together a unique blend of indie and rock, Wes and Laura Baylock take the meaning of love to a whole new level. Forget the auto tuners and neon clothes; Deas Vail relies strictly on a pure form of talent which can not be altered.

The band continues to shine on their sophomore release Birds and Cages. Musicianship has made a dramatic improvement compared to their last release. It’s easier to appreciate Deas Vail as a band now that each instrument is given equal focus, as opposed to only that distinctive falsetto Wes continues to hit each time. Opening with “The Things You Were”, Birds And Cages aims to reinforce that familiar style that only Deas Vail can create. Each track flows together nicely while complimenting the one before it. But the real diamond lies appropriately within the title tracks: “Birds” and “Cages”. The concept pays off lyrically, sighting the unforgettable line “we are all birds stuck inside our cage”.

Lyrics have always been a strong point for the band. With their sophomore release and the pressure of a debut album off their backs, Deas Vail are able to concentrate on the lyrics just as much as the music. The focus of their lyrics remain the same: love and hope, along with the need to break free. Some lines do fall flat, but over all, coincide well with the overall feel that Deas Vail were no doubt aiming for.

Birds and Cages proves to be that magnificent follow-up fans were looking for. Anyone that hasn’t taken the chance to hear what this band is all about should take this as an opportunity to discover that talent that hides within a cage.

Recommended If You LikeCopeland; Mae; Colplay

myspace.com/deasvail

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
08:23 PM on 11/29/09
DanielJames
User Info.
Nice review. Short and to the point. I enjoy the album very much.
10:17 PM on 11/29/09
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
They're a great band. I really liked this CD.
10:22 PM on 11/29/09
Iwudstilldie4u
UCSD's AP.net liaison
User Info.
My AOTY. So good. i would have rated this a lot higher, especially lasting value and vocals. Their best release by far.
06:37 PM on 12/08/09
mids1210
User Info.
This album it's really great and the band it's awesome.
11:50 AM on 02/06/10
dave K
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album it's awesome, sounds likei copeland and some songs like circa survive and the lyrics are very good,
10:47 AM on 03/05/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I saw this band last night. I checked out this album but their amazing live performance won me over. Going back to this album, I realize how great it is.
11:05 AM on 03/13/10
egonsmith
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they sound like edison glass meets copeland meets lovedrug and then once ran into imogen heap. the song "birds" is SO good. i'm very pleased with the $2 i spent on this album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums