AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dethklok - Dethalbum II Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 5.25
Production 6.88
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.88
Average: 65%

Dethklok - Dethalbum II

Reviewed by: pr0digy (11/16/09)
Dethklok - Dethalbum II
Record Label: Williams Street
Release Date: September 29, 2009

The line between fictional death metal band Dethklok going from a "comedy rock" type band to a full-out ass-kicking death metal band is quickly about to be crossed. Following in the footsteps of GWAR and Spinal Tap, Dethklok came onto the scene with the creation of the popular Adult Swim show Metalocalypse, with songs on all kinds of random and oft times funny subjects, leading to pretty ridiculous lyrics, even in terms of death metal. This translated to the hugely popular The Dethalbum, which, up until this album released, was the highest charting death metal release ever. All of this leads me without further ado to the fucking epic (yes, this album is deserving of this word) Dethalbum II .

The first thing that I noticed upon listening to the Dethalbum II a couple times was that Brendon Small and Gene Hoglan, the masterminds behind the fictional band Dethklok, seemingly tried to make a more serious album. Don't get me wrong, a lot of songs are still pretty comedic at times, but it overall has a much more serious feel to it, at least in terms of death metal, which in its own sometimes is comedic lyrically. "You've conquered pain/You've conquered fear/Stand proud and salute/The bloodied flag here" from the second track "The Gears" shows what I am talking about.

However, die hard Metalocalypse fans have nothing to fear as the hilarity of Dethklok is still strong as well. Just from the title, "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence," it is apparent that comedy is at the forefront. "Cell-mates explode in front/Barbequed bone fragments bloodied face/Blistered skin" showcases some of random ass, yet comedic lyrics that fans have fallen in love with.

Musically, Dethalbum II is in a class all of its own. Brendon Small, who graduated from the Berklee College of Music and recorded everything but the drums, makes sure to let everyone know that his degree didn't go to waste. With some ridiculous guitar solos and riffs, Small rips your ears a new one. Add that with the machine gun fire drumming from Gene "The Atomic Clock" Hoglan, who has worked with numerous top metal bands, and you have a duo that truly can and have created some amazing music.

Needless to say, Dethalbum II is one of the most unique, yet most awesome things that you will probably listen to this year. It is nearly an hour of straight of balls to the wall death metal madness, with no regards for human life. And I am pretty sure the guys of both Dethklok the fictional band and the masterminds behind it would not have it any other way. May Dethklok have mercy on the world.

Recommended If You LikeThe Dethalbum; GWAR; Melting your face off.

Track Listing1) "Bloodlines" (from "Dethcarraldo" ) - 3:30
2) "The Gears" (from "Dethsources") - 4:21
3) "Burn the Earth" (from "Dethvengeance") - 3:59
4) "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence" (from "Dethecution") - 4:35
5) "Black Fire Upon Us" (from "Dethrelease", AKA "Black Fire Upon Us") - 5:40
6) "Dethsupport" (from "The Revengencers", AKA "Sicklok") - 2:42
7) "The Cyborg Slayers" - 4:16
8) "I Tamper with the Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin" (from "Dethlessons") - 4:30
9) "Murmaider II: The Water God" - 5:43
10) "Comet Song" (from "P.R. Klok", AKA "P.R. Pickles") - 3:48
11) "Symmetry" (from "Dethfashion") - 4:31
12) "Volcano" (from "Dethdoubles") - 4:18

http://www.myspace.com/dethklok

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
11:31 AM on 11/25/09
kirby_is_kyaan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review... I saw them earlier this month, and they were actually GREAT live. The Dethalbum I was pretty good, I might have to check this out one day.
12:45 PM on 11/26/09
bobbycalwell
User Info.
My friend showed me this band (I don't watch TV so I had no idea it was a show) and I thought it was stupid until I read the lyrics. Brilliant. I'm thinking of getting the lyrics of Murmaider II tattooed on my back.
11:38 PM on 11/29/09
guitarman2189
User Info.
The album is pretty sweet. I saw them with Mastodon, Converge, and High on Fire in Chicago and it was an awesome show for all bands.
11:56 AM on 11/30/09
pr0digy
You slit my throat, of all I know.
User Info.
Nice review... I saw them earlier this month, and they were actually GREAT live. The Dethalbum I was pretty good, I might have to check this out one day.
Should get on that sooner rather than later :)
05:18 AM on 04/25/11
Ilija Necovski
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Solid album, i wish they could find actually memebers so the live shows could be more then just a huge screen, though it was epic.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests