Password

Album Review
Various Artists - Take Action! Vol. 8 Album Cover

Various Artists - Take Action! Vol. 8

Reviewed by
Various Artists - Take Action! Volume 8
Record Label: Sub City Records
Release Date: February 17th, 2009
Hopeless Records, in coordination with the non-profit organization Sub City, has been releasing benefit compilations for years. These compilations span all genres of music and all the latest fads. The organization also sponsors tours with the bands that are featured on the compilations. A percentage of the funds raised from the sale of the compilation and the tour are donated to various charitable organizations (they have raised over $1.5 million over the years). The Take Action! website states that they aim "to inspire young people to make a positive impact through causes they are passionate about." This year proceeds will be donated to DoSomething.org.

This year's compilation, Take Action! Volume 8, contains 20 tracks and includes a DVD of the respective bands. The tracklist is impressive, but the end result is a bit disappointing.

The now defunct Cute is What We Aim For begins the disc with a Public Service Announcement followed by their song "Doctor". The best part of this song (and probably the whole album) is the transition from this song's end to the beginning of the next song. I've always been a sucker for a great transition (especially on mix cds) so this one surprised me and swept me off my feet. Motion City Soundtrack's "Fell in Love Without You" fit perfectly after the previous song.

Emery and There For Tomorrow follow with rather mediocre songs and then The Spill Canvas breaks the album's continuity with a live track. As annoying as that is, it's still a good song and it fits the mood the previous songs set. The next standout track is VersaEmerge's "In Pursuing Time." Since it has female vocals it's an obvious sore thumb, but it's a good sore thumb and fits in with Meg and Dia's track which follows after Versa.

Ace Enders comes in to fill the pop mind and succeeds with "Reaction". This song is amazingly catchy. Unfortunately the next few songs fall flat as they just don't seem to fit. Four Year Strong does their best acoustically with a Purevolume session and All Time Low close the album with "Remembering Sunday".

I find most compilation records to seem really forced and exhibit little-to-no effort. This one is no different. Although at some points the songs flow (tracks 2-3 and 9-11) the rest of the album just feels more cluttered than organized so it outweighs the good parts. It's unfortunate that you feel inclined to skip the songs because it sounds like shuffle gone bad.

Track List1 Cute Is What We Aim For – PSA
2 Cute Is What We Aim For – Doctor
3 Motion City Soundtrack – Fell In Love Without You
4 Emery – The Smile, The Face
5 There For Tomorrow – Remember When (Used To Be Used To It)
6 The Spill Canvas – All Over You (Live In Sioux Falls) *Unreleased
7 Breathe Carolina – Diamonds
8 Forever The Sickest Kids – The Party Song
9 Versa Emerge – In Pursuing Design
10 Meg & Dia – Halloween *Unreleased
11 Ace Enders – Reaction
12 Anarbor – The Brightest Green
13 Every Avenue – Think Of You Later (Empty Room)
14 You Me At Six – Jealous Minds Think Alike
15 Bayside – You’ve Already Been
16 Red Car Wire – Timing Just Isn’t Your Thing
17 Sing It Loud – Come Around
18 Cinematic Sunrise – Umbrellas and Elephants
19 Four Year Strong – So Hot, And You Sweat On It *Unreleased
20 All Time Low – Remembering Sunday
This review is a user submitted review from Mirrorsandfevers. You can see all of Mirrorsandfevers's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
10:49 PM on 12/07/09
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
There's a lot of bands I like on this. Ace Ender's "Reaction" is my favorite song on it.
06:57 AM on 12/08/09
encmetalhead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dont see how anyone can review a comp with original songs. If it was Cover that's alright. Either way, good review
08:44 AM on 12/08/09
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Best tracks are Emery, Bayside, MCS and Ace Enders. IMO
10:10 AM on 12/10/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Why would you review a compilation haha?
12:37 PM on 12/10/09
Blaise&Panthia.
Too much too much too much too much
User Info.
Why would you review a compliation and then moan that the songs don't flow seamlessly together?
07:40 PM on 12/11/09
Mirrorsandfevers
www.BasedOnNothing.net
User Info.
Why would you review a compliation and then moan that the songs don't flow seamlessly together?
I like compilations majority of the time and I've heard plenty that flow great.
08:20 AM on 12/17/09
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
The only good band is Bayside.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT