Password

Album Review
The Promise Hero - Wait for the Sun Album Cover

The Promise Hero - Wait for the Sun

Reviewed by
The Promise Hero - Wait for the Sun
Record Label: TDR Records
Release Date: October 28, 2008
The Promise Hero... haven't heard of them? You just may soon. Hailing from Cleveland Ohio, the band was on Warped Tour this summer, busy selling albums at the TDR Records booth and being in the Walk the Line feature. Then again, it's also possible you caught an acoustic set outside of a blink-182 show this summer. In any case, this four piece pop band's debut CD, Wait for the Sun, produced by Jamie Woolford (Punchline, Lydia), delivers mainly guitar driven songs with some catchy hooks.

The record opens, fittingly, with a slower piano intro to the song "Winning or Losing" about the winning and losing of love. Full of harmonies, the song continues into a full band and delivers some great guitar driven pop. "Am I Listening" comes next with a catchy enough chorus to be remembered, before jumping into the one of the best (and also title) tracks, "Wait for the Sun." "Wait for the Sun" begins with an acoustic entrance, switching back and forth in the song between electrics and acoustics creating catchy hooks throughout.

A few songs later "Why My So Jealous" comes on. It's completely acoustic driven and feels like a Good Old War track. Again, this is one of the best tracks on the album. As the song title suggests, the song is about jealousy, and the girl moving on. As the chorus suggests, "I've got nothing to lose / I am nothing to lose according to you / You bring me down."

Skipping down the CD some more, "Cuz I Think So" is just one song from the end and still delivering. It's yet another song packed with catchy guitars and great hooks. The lost love theme's back (though it never really left), painting a picture of that lost love and why the writer thinks it's his fault she's gone.

The album ends well with "You're Freaking Out", about waking up and feeling stuck in a dream. It's a fitting way to end, trying to realize what is all around us; "Listen to the stereo / Can you hear the message now?"

All in all, the album doesn't disappoint. It's full of pure pop songs; mostly guitar driven and well blended with acoustics and electrics throughout. The production value seems to be a little low, but that's my only real complaint here. If you're tired of grown up "kids" jumping out of high schools, backpacks full of cheesy lyrics and auto-tuned voices, then check out The Promise Hero's Wait for the Sun. Take it straight from the guys in the band when they say they're all about a "good clean sound" and "pop-rock that doesn't sound like shit."

Recommended If You LikeAce Enders; Between the Trees; Good Old War; Punchline

myspace.com/thepromisehero
This review is a user submitted review from UnderMyDreams. You can see all of UnderMyDreams's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
06:52 AM on 12/08/09
VaNelia
User Info.
gotta love ThePromiseHero!
awesome article.
(:
09:04 AM on 12/09/09
xanniebananiex
anniebananniee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awww what an awesome review. love the promise hero
04:55 PM on 12/09/09
SuchAPerson22
bert macklin, FBI
User Info.
Promise Hero=Love.
Nice review :)
07:48 PM on 12/10/09
kashleywitha_k
kashley_vengeance
User Info.
totally love this review. good job.

def. a great album to listen too. its my most played albumn.
08:36 AM on 12/11/09
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
totally love this review. good job.

def. a great album to listen too. its my most played albumn.

Promise Hero=Love.
Nice review :)

awww what an awesome review. love the promise hero

gotta love ThePromiseHero!
awesome article.
(:

Thanks guys!
10:26 PM on 09/01/10
moveouteben
User Info.
i believe in this band 100 percent. this album is awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos