Username
Password

Album Review
Abel - The Honest Love EP Album Cover

Abel - The Honest Love EP

Reviewed by
Abel - The Honest Love EP
Record Label: Dreamt Records/Facedown Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Release Date: Sept. 1, 2009

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
07:03 AM on 11/20/09
Garett Press
User Info.
Abel is good
07:13 AM on 11/20/09
ryanhorizons
User Info.
"The only problem is the group writes worship-like anthems aimed at a Christian audience." yah im pretty sure you're gonna get your ass kicked for putting that in there.
07:21 AM on 11/20/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Interesting review.
07:23 AM on 11/20/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
"The only problem is the group writes worship-like anthems aimed at a Christian audience." yah im pretty sure you're gonna get your ass kicked for putting that in there.
That wouldn't be a very Christian response. Hard to hide from facts. This is very worship heavy and they can't deny that. And hey, if I get my ass kicked for that, then there's something fundamentally wrong with the first amendment.
07:33 AM on 11/20/09
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
That wouldn't be a very Christian response. Hard to hide from facts. This is very worship heavy and they can't deny that. And hey, if I get my ass kicked for that, then there's something fundamentally wrong with the first amendment.
kevin is my friend and I do agree with you...but knowing him, he don't care as much about "making it" as he does just worshiping

it is a great EP though and they do deserve recognition
07:41 AM on 11/20/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
kevin is my friend and I do agree with you...but knowing him, he don't care as much about "making it" as he does just worshiping

it is a great EP though and they do deserve recognition
I appreciate your response and you bring up exactly what I was trying to get at. My point is basically that this music is solid enough to be commercially viable. But my hunch was that the band was more interested in writing songs to praise God. Which brings up the question, will agnostics and non-believers find resonance in this? I'm skeptical.

That being said, I'm a fan of Christian music and I don't mind worship music, so this to me is just fine. It's the others I'm worried about. In the end, I hope they can rise to the ranks of something like David Crowder Band or Leeland and truly make a splash in the Christian scene. Lord knows they deserve it. This EP is stellar.
08:34 AM on 11/20/09
robdobi
hates your guts.
User Info.
i think some of the music is great but this is super worship heavy and i can't stomach it. i wouldn't be able to stomach it if they were singing about pizza and i LOVE pizza.
08:46 AM on 11/20/09
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
it's a shame when good bands end up being only marketable to a christian audience. and probably never leave that scene.
i seriously think bands should be 100% honest with their lyrics and just write about the stuff they believe in, but with lyrics like these you're automatically limiting yourself to a specific audience, which is kinda sad
09:55 AM on 11/20/09
only the clouds
throw your body on the bad times
User Info.
I saw these guys opening for Moving Mountains. I'm 100% agnostic and I love their live show and this EP. Hopefully I'm the standard rather than the exception.
10:52 AM on 11/20/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I saw these guys opening for Moving Mountains. I'm 100% agnostic and I love their live show and this EP. Hopefully I'm the standard rather than the exception.
I hope so too!
11:09 AM on 11/20/09
x13looDx
User Info.
I really hate it when a good band is, I don't want to say ruined, but I donno.. When I'm listening to something and digging the sound, then a lyric all about god or jesus comes up, it turns me off. You can have your faith, but I probably won't like the music you make about it.
02:57 PM on 11/20/09
xJesusFreakx
duh please
User Info.
I appreciate your response and you bring up exactly what I was trying to get at. My point is basically that this music is solid enough to be commercially viable. But my hunch was that the band was more interested in writing songs to praise God. Which brings up the question, will agnostics and non-believers find resonance in this? I'm skeptical.

That being said, I'm a fan of Christian music and I don't mind worship music, so this to me is just fine. It's the others I'm worried about. In the end, I hope they can rise to the ranks of something like David Crowder Band or Leeland and truly make a splash in the Christian scene. Lord knows they deserve it. This EP is stellar.

Your review's only complaint was the potentially alienating praise lyrics, which something I'd personally like, and you just mentioned Crowder. I guess it's about time I check this EP out. I've been meaning to for a while but never got around to it.
04:33 PM on 11/20/09
loj
i'm not there and you're not here.
User Info.

spot on how i feel.

that being said, DCB rules.
06:02 PM on 11/20/09
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Good to see these guys get a great score. My hometown sure is pouring out some great bands lately.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos