AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Emily Osment - All the Right Wrongs Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 3.75
Production 6.75
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 3.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.25
Final Verdict: 51%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Emily Osment - All the Right Wrongs

Reviewed by: npmshah (11/20/09)
Emily Osment – All the Right Wrongs
Record Label: Wind Up Records
Release Date: October 26, 2009

Emily Osment is suffering a massive identity crisis. She is a poster child for Disney (she plays Lilly on Disney show Hannah Montana), but is trying to make inroads into the music industry outside of Disney-owned label. She took an “indie” route, signing to Wind Up Records, and working with “hard rock” producer Matt Squire. Though these career moves might give her a shred of credibility, all of it is voided by the fact that she still sounds like a Hannah Montana clone.

The songs on this six-track piece of pop range from annoying to guilty pleasures, with the EP as a whole leaning towards the former. “All The Way Up,” though upbeat, contains mundane lyrics (“Its my life, it’s a riot/ Come on, baby, you can’t deny it”), and boring pop melodies. “Average Girl,” though bouncy, is overall just boring. “Found Out About You,” however is guilty pleasure gold. Though also about boy troubles, the melodies found throughout keep it interesting. Unfortunately, “I Hate the Homecoming Queen” and “You Are the Only One” are next. These two tracks define bubblegum pop at its most nauseating, and the lyrics are atrocious at best (“I hate the homecoming queen/I’m pretty sure she can’t stand me” from “I Hate The Homecoming Queen”). Thankfully, this effort (or lack of it) closes out with “What About Me,” a generic, slowed down ballad that also has the potential to become a guilty pleasure.

Overall, this was a disappointing album. Boring melodies and boy troubles make up the bulk of the six tracks. This was Emily Osment’s one chance to break away from her Disney mold, and she has, unfortunately, wasted it on this.

Choice Cut“Found Out About You”

Recommended if You Like Demi Lovato, Hey Monday, Katy Perry, MIley Cytrus/Hannah Montana, bubblegum pop

http://www.officialemilyosment.com/

Track Listing1. All The Way Up
2. Average Girl
3. Found Out About You
4. I Hate The Homecoming Queen
5. You Are The Only One
6. What About Me

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
09:55 AM on 12/09/09
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
I would.

Decent review though, if a bit short.
03:47 PM on 12/09/09
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Awful album for someone who loves Radiohead, but this is also a terribly misinformed review.

Matt Squire does All Time Low and FTSK stuff - that's not "hard rock." Also, bubblegum pop refers to pop artists in the '60's, not modern pop artists.
09:52 AM on 12/10/09
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
Awful album for someone who loves Radiohead, but this is also a terribly misinformed review.

Matt Squire does All Time Low and FTSK stuff - that's not "hard rock." Also, bubblegum pop refers to pop artists in the '60's, not modern pop artists.
He also did The Used, which, even though I hate, are hard rock.
You're saying that an artist can't be called bubblegum pop because the term was coined for artists in the sixties? So, I guess we can't call Johnny Lang a blues artist, Diana Krall a Jazz artist, any indie band post The Pixies, Pavement, and built to spill, Independent?

You seem to be the one who is misinformed.
11:04 AM on 12/10/09
invincibleXL
sick hearts
User Info.
didn't max collins and tim pagnotta do some writing on this?
11:41 AM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
You're saying that an artist can't be called bubblegum pop because the term was coined for artists in the sixties? So, I guess we can't call Johnny Lang a blues artist, Diana Krall a Jazz artist, any indie band post The Pixies, Pavement, and built to spill, Independent?

thank you. For your kindness, I am going to check out Paper Rival.
11:46 AM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
didn't max collins and tim pagnotta do some writing on this?
i beleive so. Didnt help much.
02:24 PM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.

"Hard rock" was meant to be sarcastic. Hence the quotations. I was referring to how she probably sees Squire as a "hard rock" producer
02:51 PM on 12/10/09
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.

No, the way he used "bubblegum pop" sounded like he was referring to the specific "genre" of bubblegum pop, which was what the super poppy songs back in the '60's were called. It didn't sound like he was using "bubblegum" as an adjective. That's why I responded.

He did do the Used, but he's not primarily a hard rock producer. But now I realize that he was sarcastic.
04:23 PM on 12/10/09
princesschad
sowing season
User Info.
she's cute.
07:35 PM on 12/10/09
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
No, the way he used "bubblegum pop" sounded like he was referring to the specific "genre" of bubblegum pop, which was what the super poppy songs back in the '60's were called. It didn't sound like he was using "bubblegum" as an adjective. That's why I responded.

He did do the Used, but he's not primarily a hard rock producer. But now I realize that he was sarcastic.
Posting a comment about someone's review based on inflection that you claim to hear is never a good idea. You can't tell how it sounded because it never made a sound when he reviewer used the term "bubblegum pop."
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests