Username
Password
Entertainment News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Entertainment
Inside AP.net

Entertainment Round-Up (11/21/09)

Posted by: Adrian Villagomez (11/20/09)
Check out the replies to view and discuss this week in Movie, Television, and DVD news.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:09 PM on 11/20/09
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Entertainment Round-UpIndustry News and Rumors:

contributors: Rest_Easy and sevinw0rds.

Movies

01) Here are the box office numbers from last weekend:

01. 2012 $65,237,614 $65,237,614
02. A Christmas Carol (2009) $22,308,913 $63,272,757
03. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire $5,874,628 $8,699,180
04. The Men Who Stare at Goats $5,861,753 $23,038,050
05. Michael Jackson's This Is It $5,078,920 $67,190,296
06. The Fourth Kind $4,605,365 $20,449,660
07. Couples Retreat $4,164,940 $102,045,330
08. Paranormal Activity $4,043,417 $103,690,184
09. Law Abiding Citizen $3,796,327 $67,190,452
10. The Box $3,158,368 $13,179,622

02) Rome star and Modern Warfare voice actor Kevin McKidd has discussed the possibility of portraying Captain "Soap" MacTavish on the big screen.

03) The latest Batman rumor is we can put an end to Batman rumors in January when we receive an official announcement from Christopher Nolan and Warner Bros.

04) The Wire star Idris Elba has joined the cast of Thor as Heimdall.

05) Robert Pattison and Uma Thurman will be starring together in an adaptation of the Guy de Maupassant short story "Bel Ami."

06) Underworld is becoming the Saw of vampire action.

07) American Gladiators is getting a superhero makeover thanks to writer Peter Iliff (Varsity Blues, Point Break).

08) An upcoming comic book already has a movie adaptation on the way starring Sam Worthington. Here's the synopsis: "Set in the not-too-distant future, [the] story involves the U.S. government's plans to secretly broadcast a signal that makes it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts."

09) Brad Pitt's production company Plan B and Reliance Big Pictures have acquired the film fights to Capcom's video game Dark Void, which Pitt may star in.

10) Anne Hathaway as the Black Cat? Yes please. I'd prefer her over Julia Stiles.

11) The Wolfman is in some film trouble, but Universal is working to get it fixed.

12) Can you see Gerard Butler returning to the role that made him famous for his incessant shouting? THIS IS A POSSIBILITY!

13) Brian Cox has the perfect shape and voice to play a dwarf in The Hobbit.

14) Even though screenwriter Roger Avary is in the slammer, production on Silent Hill 2 is still churning along.

15) Apparently Nestor Carbonell (Lost, The Dark Knight) is J.J. Abrams' choice to play Khan if the character is included in the next Star Trek installment.

16) I'm sure it won't be long before we see the Mandarin face off against Iron Man. And did you know that Paul Bettany (The Da Vinci Code, Wimbledon) voiced Jarvas in Iron Man? Paul Bettany didn't either.

17) Will Arnett as a space janitor who blasts off to keep his astronaut girlfriend from cheating on him - sound like a winner?

18) The film rights to Michael Scott's (not that "Michael Scott") six part series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel have been acquired by producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

Television

01) Chuck will return to NBC on January 10th with two back-to-back premiere episodes.

02) Will "G.O.B." Arnett and actor/writer Justin Theroux (writer Tropic Thunder/Iron Man 2) will be guest starring in Parks and Recreation.

03) Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) is remaking Charlie's Angels for ABC.

04) Jason Lee has been cast as the lead in the TNT pilot Delta Blues. The plot revolves around "Dwight Hendricks (Lee), a Memphis police officer who lives with his mother and moonlights as an Elvis impersonator."

05) Rachel Bilson, Tim Gunn, and Stacy Keibler are making guest appearances on the 100th episode of How I Met Your Mother.

06) ABC is bringing back Lost for its final season on Tuesday, February 2nd at 9pm.

Coming Soon to Theaters:

December 4, 2009

Armored - A crew of officers at an armored transport security firm plan the ultimate heist to steal millions from their own company.

Everybody's Fine (Limited) - A widower embarks on a road trip to reconnect with his grown children only to find that their lives are far from perfect.

Brothers (Limited) - When a Marine goes missing overseas, his black-sheep younger brother cares for his wife and children at home.

Serious Moonlight (Limited) - When Meg Ryan learns that her husband is leaving her for a younger woman, she ties him up until they talk things through.

Up in the Air - (Limited) George Clooney is a corporate downsizing expert who makes a connection with the frequent-flyer woman of his dreams.

Transylmania (Limited) A group of college kids do a semester abroad at Razvan University, only to realize their ancient castle campus is cursed.

Next Weekend

Fantastic Mr. Fox - George Clooney supplies the voice of the wily hero in director Wes Anderson's animated adaptation of the classic Roald Dahl story.

Ninja Assassin - A skilled assassin engages in a deadly game of cat and mouse to take down the elusive secret society of killers-for-hire that trained him.

Old Dogs - Robin Williams and John Travolta are not-so-kid-savvy bachelors who are unexpectedly charged with the care of 7-year-old twins.

The Road - Viggo Mortensen stars in a post-apocalyptic survival tale of a father and son who journey across America after a mysterious cataclysm.

Me and Orson Welles (Limited) - Zac Efron is an aspiring actor who gets thrown into the Mercury Theatre Company's historic 1937 staging of Julius Caesar.

The Princess and the Frog (Limited) - Walt Disney presents a female twist on the traditional Frog Prince fairy tale, set in New Orleans' French Quarter.

In Theaters Now:

The Twilight Saga: New Moon - Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner star in the next chapter of the popular supernatural romance saga.

The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock stars as a well-to-do suburban mom who forms an unlikely friendship with a struggling teen from a broken home.

Planet 51 - The sudden arrival of an alien -- an American astronaut -- wreaks havoc among the little green inhabitants of a distant alien planet.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Limited) - Nicolas Cage stars as a drug-addicted rogue cop who play and fast and loose with the law in post-Katrina New Orleans.

Broken Embraces (Limited) - Penelope Cruz stars in a four-way tale of dangerous love, shot in the style of a hard-boiled 1950s American film noir.

Mammoth
(Limited) A New York family man goes on a life-changing business trip to Thailand, setting off a chain of dramatic events.

The Missing Person (Limited) - A private detective investigates a man who turns out to be one of the thousands presumed dead after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Red Cliff (Limited) - John Woo directs an epic historical drama based on a legendary 208 A.D. battle that heralded the end of the Han Dynasty.

Movie Trailers:

Date Night
Extraordinary Measures
Green Zone
Me and Orson Welles
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Invictus
One Good Man
The Road
A Single Man
Up in the Air

DVDs Out Next Week:

New Releases
Angels and Demons
Far Cry
Funny People
Gomorrah: Criterion Collection
Janky Promoters
Shorts
The Maiden Heist

TV Box Sets
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season Four
Beverly Hills 90210: Season Eight
Law & Order Criminal Intent: Season Four
Life on Mars (UK): Season Two
Melrose Place: Season Five, Vol 2
Superman: Complete Animated Series

Special Editions / Other Releases
A Walk in the Sun
Air America: Special Edition
Christmas in Wonderland
David and Layla
Encounters
Harmony and Me
House of Fears
House on Sorority Row
Mad Dog Morgan
Megafault
My Bloody Valentine: Special Edition
S4: Sector 4
Santa Buddies
Seventy 8
Silent Scream
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Superstar
Taking Chances
The Indian
Three Monkeys
Vengeance Trilogy

AbsolutePunk Entertainment Links:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Community
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dexter
FlashForward
The Horror Thread 2
Modern Family
Movie Lists 2009
Parks and Recreation
Video Games

------
sources: aintitcool.com, apple.com/trailers, boxofficemojo.com, darkhorizons.com, imdb.com, movies.ign.com, movies.yahoo.com

------

If you have a bit of entertainment news you'd like to submit for next week's Round-Up, send your submission to Adrian Villagomez with "Entertainment Round-Up" in the subject header.
10:15 PM on 11/20/09
Ava1anche
Love Your Friends, Die Laughing
User Info.
LOST on February 2nd!!!!!!
10:22 PM on 11/20/09
XEmoBoyShandorX
Taking new user name suggestions!
User Info.
Quote:
05) Rachel Bilson, Tim Gunn, and Stacy Keibler are making guest appearances on the 100th episode of How I Met Your Mother.

YES!!!!!

Also
Quote:
The 100th episode includes a big musical number performed by Harris, who noted that Barney, "has to choose between giving up suits to bang her or leaving her and keeping his suits – and he sings about it! The next logical step is he sings about it."

This is going to be amazing!
10:28 PM on 11/20/09
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Jason Lee...please just stop.
10:34 PM on 11/20/09
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
Quote:
01) Chuck will return to NBC on January 10th with two back-to-back premiere episodes.

Woot!
10:57 PM on 11/20/09
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
User Info.
I can't imagine Anne Hathaway in Spiderman for some reason. The movie doesn't seem to hold much promise to begin with.

The return of Chuck is going to start the year off great.
10:57 PM on 11/20/09
taylerx0
I'm ready, waiting on my ending.
User Info.
2012 looks awful, can't believe it did so well last weekend.
I'm so excited for the 100th HIMYM episode.
FUCK YEAH LOST, MY LIFE OFFICIALLY HAS MEANING AGAIN STARTING FEBRUARY 2nd!
11:08 PM on 11/20/09
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
WOLFMAN IS FAILING!!!! im soooo happy to hear this...its such a stupid movie idea. A movie about a wearwolf, ummm...so what? we've all seen that song and dance billions of times, and none of the preivews showed any uniqueness to be brought to the screen.

silent hll 2, bring it on...make it as good as #1
11:24 PM on 11/20/09
blue_bedlight
Not Associated With The Band
User Info.
I just bought the first season of Chuck. I got like 4 more people into the show now because of it. Gonna download the second season for them so they're caught up for the third. So glad the Save Chuck campaign worked.
11:52 PM on 11/20/09
Momo32T
User Info.
Jason Lee...please just stop.
If you have a problem with him other than his affiliation with Scientology, there is something wrong with you. He is great in the Kevin Smith movies (especially Chasing Amy) and he made My Name Is Earl a pretty decent show.
12:27 AM on 11/21/09
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
LOST premiere and the Super Bowl in one week? Wow.
01:32 AM on 11/21/09
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
Weird - I saw a trailer for Wolfman last night.. I thought all was good.

ALSO - Nestor Carbonell would make an amazing Khan.
03:51 AM on 11/21/09
DogSizedBird
User Info.
Is it bad that every time I see John Woo mentioned I instantly think of Botch?
05:01 AM on 11/21/09
timb89
Australian Music Roundup
User Info.
more arrested development news?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music