Password

Album Review

We Came As Romans - To Plant a Seed Album Cover

We Came As Romans - To Plant a Seed

Reviewed by
We Came As Romans - To Plant a Seed
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: November 3, 2009
In today’s music scene, mediocre post-hardcore have become the norm. Bands sing about average “emo” fare with mock-br00t riffs backing a cliché sing-scream-sing (or vice versa) formula. Thankfully, We Came As Romans, though far from creative or groundbreaking, manage to breathe some life into this tired genre.

From the beginning of To Plant a Seed, it is clear that the band takes a page from The Devil Wears Prada. It was The Devil Wears Prada that popularized the use of synths and keyboards to enhance a dissonant atmosphere, and this style has since been emulated by other popular heavy acts like In Fear and Faith and Attack Attack!. We Came As Romans, however, take this a step further. Everything keyboardist Kyle Pavone does on this record is far more orchestral than anything in The Devil Wears Prada’s back catalog. This works extremely well, for it gives every track on the record a haunting atmosphere that gives more meaning to both the crushing riffs and the soft interludes of clean singing. These orchestral pieces of keyboard work are what set We Came As Romans on the better end of the “generic spectrum.” Unfortunately, within the band’s greatest strength also lies their biggest weakness. Pavone also provides the clean vocals in the record, and he shirks from this responsibility by hiding behind layers of Auto Tune and reverb. The excessive use of Auto Tune hinders his range of emotion. For example, in “I Will Not Reap Destruction,” the atmosphere calls for more emotion to be inflected in the voice. Though Pavone clearly attempts to inject the emotion into his voice, it is hidden by the Auto Tune, and brings the song down with it.

Aside from Kyle Pavone’s inconsistent performance, the rest of the band proves themselves to be adequate at what they do. For most of the record, the other members of the band provide fairly average post-hardcore and above average screaming. Though the band never falls below the mark of “average,” at times they soar well above it. On “Intentions,” the dueling guitars of Joshua Moore and Lou Cotton prove to be the perfect backdrop to David Stephens’s crushing growls, while on “Beleifs,” bassist Andy Glass and drummer Eri Choi prove themselves to be capable instrumentalists. All these elements come together most seamlessly on “Dreams,” which is quite possibly the only track on the album where Pavone serves as an adequate vocalist.

Overall, this is an average album. Though not groundbreaking, it is certainly among the better albums in its genre. Pavone’s weak, Auto Tuned clean vocals are, for the most part, made up by his impressive ability to create epic keyboard pieces, and the rest of the band provides for an interesting, albeit predictable, show.

Recommended If You LikeThe Devil Wears Prada; Chiodos; Burden Of a Day; A Day to Remember; Underoath

myspace.com/wecameasromans
This review is a user submitted review from npmshah. You can see all of npmshah's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
06:20 AM on 12/09/09
KennyDRomans
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
why do you keep commenting on their pages? rofl
06:23 AM on 12/09/09
KennyDRomans
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if somebody like's an album then they're gonna review it dude get over it.
09:35 AM on 12/10/09
batmannj
"No more half measures Walt"
User Info.
super generic music, yet I really enjoy this album for reasons that I can't quite say. Although I would say that production wise this sounds really slick, that might be part of it.
11:18 AM on 12/10/09
Aaron90
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Despite the fact "To Plant a Seed" is really generic, I must admit that I have enjoyed listening to the album. I'm not quite sure why given that I have been very much opposed to the scene's latest trend of over-production.
11:34 AM on 12/10/09
i_was_a_lid
And This is How
User Info.
This is a much better review than the last one. I agree with you very much. Good job
11:45 AM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
This is a much better review than the last one. I agree with you very much. Good job
thank you. I noticed how ass kissing alot of the other reviews were, and i decided to write a fair and balanced one. And i don;t mean "fair and balanced" by fox News' standards.
01:55 PM on 12/10/09
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Awesome review man. Your commentary was well structured and your observations were spot-on. My friend went even so far as to say "the clean vocals sound like that Kanye guy on the alcohol song" - but we both agreed we liked everything else about it, so we'll be seeing them this Saturday. Hopefully they shred it live, keep up the good, balanced reviews. This was a pleasure to read.
01:57 PM on 12/10/09
fashionshowdown
You're so money baby!
User Info.
how is To Plant a Seed generic? I am really sick of hearing that. It is unique in the sense that no one is attempting to spread the same message that WCAR is. I think that makes it the opposite of generic.
01:57 PM on 12/10/09
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
good review.
02:02 PM on 12/10/09
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
how is To Plant a Seed generic? I am really sick of hearing that. It is unique in the sense that no one is attempting to spread the same message that WCAR is. I think that makes it the opposite of generic.
even though they're trying to tell everyone how great love is or whatever, they still sound incredibly trite.
02:18 PM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
We Came As Romans are generic. However, they play generic well. "Generic" simply means that they are breaking no ground. That doesn't they don't excel at what they do, and, to be honest, the band is GREAT at what they do. It still makes them generic. Also, TDWP, Burden of a Day, Attack Attack! and COUNTLESS other Christian screamo acts have pretty positive uplifting lyrics. WCAR is nowhere near groundbreaking in that category either. That still doesn't change the fact that their lyrics are also great.
02:19 PM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Awesome review man. Your commentary was well structured and your observations were spot-on. My friend went even so far as to say "the clean vocals sound like that Kanye guy on the alcohol song" - but we both agreed we liked everything else about it, so we'll be seeing them this Saturday. Hopefully they shred it live, keep up the good, balanced reviews. This was a pleasure to read.
wow. thank you.
and i hope you enjoy the show. this is the I See Stars tour you're going to, right?
02:21 PM on 12/10/09
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
if somebody like's an album then they're gonna review it dude get over it.
ummm... wtf are you saying?
03:05 PM on 12/10/09
lemontie
Games Round-up Creator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great tour, saw these guys live, basically replicated their album. regardless of generic or not, these guys were great.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos