AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Alex Roots - Album Sampler Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Alex Roots - Album Sampler

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (11/25/09)
Alex Roots - Album Sampler
Record Label: Good Grove
Release Date: Sept. 12, 2009

Who?
Alex Roots is a 17-year-old British singer/songwriter. Her single "Don't Stop Lookng," was released on Sept. 7 and her debut album Adrenaline Rush is released next month. This is a four-song sampler of that album.

How is it?
Pretty darn fun. Don't expect introspection or moody atmospherics with this lot, rather this is kick-the-shoes-off, dance around the room kinda fun. Heart-on-the-sleeve verses, snappy comeuppance, and an undeniable swagger are the hallmarks of Roots' sound. Though she's technically classified as pop-punk, there's far more pop in her sound than punk. "Don't Stop Looking" has a new wave, 80s vibe that is definitely British, caffeinated and bouncy. Sure she gets a bit shrill and nonsensical but she's also got lots of spunk and charm that's hard to hate.

On "Fake," she gets a bit wordy and has a Clash-inspired good time as she talks about being disappointed with boys. Of all the four songs on the sampler this has the most single potential but in the grand scheme of things its no more than a cheap thrill novelty with very little staying power.

"Put Your Hands Up," is more dance-friendly than the prior two and she's not nearly as shrill, but Lord love a duck it seems almost a shoe-in to land on the Disney Channel in the not so distant future. Though it does have a distinctive Euro-pop sound it's not much more impacting than a Kylie Minogue single.

The sampler rests on title track "Adrenaline Rush," an ode to a new beau that's more vocal-centric than anything on the sampler and probably the strongest test of her abilities. A searing guitar solo at the 2:35 mark sends this song into a different stratosphere.

Being that she's only 17, Roots certainly is going to be felt in the years to come. Whether its on the Disney Channel or on London airwaves, there's something entirely commercial about this effort. While the staying power isn't exactly there, it's still a fun little romp. Sometimes, that's all we really need.

Track Listing 1. Don't Stop Looking
2. Fake
3. Put Your Hands Up
4. Adrenaline Rush

Recommended If You Like The Ting Tings, Gwen Stefani, Cyndi Lauper, The Clique Girlz

Find Her Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
06:09 AM on 11/25/09
mayday
houston, we have a problem.
User Info.
pretty neat review, and I agree, it's pretty fun.
even though it's not my type of tunes.
03:28 PM on 11/25/09
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Not my thing at all
05:03 AM on 11/27/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Not mine either. But it was sent to me, and I was happy to provide a review. Someone on this site might like it, so I wanted to give those people a chance to discover something.
10:32 AM on 11/27/09
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Not mine either. But it was sent to me, and I was happy to provide a review. Someone on this site might like it, so I wanted to give those people a chance to discover something.
yeah, i understand. Good review and props to you on reviewing it. I always look forward to yoru reviews.
10:35 AM on 11/27/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
yeah, i understand. Good review and props to you on reviewing it. I always look forward to yoru reviews.
Thanks. I appreciate that.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums