AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lovemakers, The - Let's Be Friends Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9
Production 8.75
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Lovemakers, The - Let's Be Friends

Reviewed by: rsk423 (11/25/09)
The Lovemakers - Let's Be Friends
Record Label: Fontana
Release Date: September 15th, 2009

How many times have you been in an awkward situation? Life throws us awkward situations all the time. Meet Lisa Light and Scott Blonde, the leaders of a rock band known as The Lovemakers. Light and Blonde met while under Blonde's older band back in the day, and soon after were kicked off the band for making out during rehearsals. They were in love and decided to create what we have now, a band that shows high promise and strong 80's-like melodies on Let's Be Friends. Oh, just in case I forgot to mention it, they've broken up. So they're in a band together and remain friends, despite having been very passionate lovers. I think awkward is an understatement.

This album starts off in a way I simply enjoy. The first song and single "Love Is Dead" picks up where most people feel after a relationship has ended. Blonde has admitted to copying the drum beat in this song from Prince's "I Would Die 4 U". That doesn't matter because it's clear this band is out to sound nostalgic with a twist of new age electronica. Light croons and sings "I've heard what you said, it makes no difference now that love is dead". From there the album let's both Light and Blonde take their positions on the after effects of their failed relationship. You can tell Light is a feisty character on "See What I'm Saying", a standout track that I expect to be a single at some point. "I wanna see you when I have a good time" and "I only do what I wanna do" lets people know Light does whatever the hell she wants, and if that's a problem you better deal with it at the door.

The album gets nostalgic on "Where Did You Go?". I enjoyed this track but it's a good starting track to the more upbeat and sing along jam that is "Everyone's Fightin' The Same Damn Fight". If you feel like you're the only person who is always single or trying to get someone's attention, please thank them for this song. It picks your mood up and the lyrics feel like they come from someone who has had experience in love, which just further gives them credit for creating an album like this. "Happiness and love is what we're after, but sadness and pain will soon come after". Very relatable. But the next song, "Wanna Go Back" might be my favorite on the album. Blonde gives credit to the Ramones for this song, and I can see why. It's a quick and chorus-friendly song that makes sense. At this point we're about halfway through the album and halfway through what I'd like to think is a recovery point toward the failed relationship. Frustration and wishing to "get the first kiss" and "see what I missed" is a very natural wish for many people. This song also is a perfect precursor to the title track.

"Let's Be Friends" is blunt. Very blunt, very direct, and very fantastic! Both Blonde and Light share normal details of their current friendship while stating the differences between a relationship and a friendship. Not calling each other but staying in touch is a great idea used. "We'll share clothes and girlfriends" is one of my favorite lyrics and lets listeners know these guys are ready to move on and yet be closer than most people can be. From here on out, the album sputters and turns into a different direction that I'm slightly disappointed with. "This Life Is Over" has some great lyrics but the music kinda sits in the background, making me feel apathetic and therefore makes this whole song feel like filler. "Hold On to Your Heart" has the great advantage of being another "background" song but the drum beats keep your attention and the back and forth lyrics between Light and Blonde is perfect here. Blonde is narrating someone who has been heart broken, while Light insists this is the way to feeling free from anyone. The final two tracks, "All Together" and "Tears You Apart" don't do a great job of closing this album for me. At this point I want to hear more coherent lyrical structure but all I get is overproduced sounds that hardly let me enjoy what they're telling me. I couldn't get into these songs, but maybe someone will find these useful, where as I found them repeating and uneven both musically and lyrically.

Bottom Line: This is a great album for what it's worth. The second half of the album isn't as strong as the first half, but either way, The Lovemakers prove they have the ability to write hardcore songs about love and the after effects of love. I do appreciate the mid-tempo ballads like "Where Did You Go?", but the Lovemakers are better when they go all out, which is why if you need a little push in getting to know this band, please start with "See What I Wanna See". From there you can enjoy all the awkwardness that is Blonde and Light's life.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums