AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Roses Are Red - What Became of Me Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 9.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 85%
Inside AP.net

Roses Are Red - What Became of Me

Reviewed by: Brett Praskach (06/14/06)
Roses Are Red - What Became of Me
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Record Label: Trustkill

At a glance it may seem as though Roses Are Red don't quite fit in with the rest of the Trustkill Records family. The band's pop-punk sound isn't exactly what listeners have come to expect from the label. Although Roses Are Red may not be as heavy as most of the label's other acts, their sophomore release, What Became of Me, proves they have the edge to represent the label. They've created a sound which is clearly founded in pop-punk, but they've also got a foot in the door of hardcore. The formula has given the band the advantage of a more unique sound without straying too far from the safety of a pop-punk, emo-rock sound. The mixture works for the group though, and the album is likely to attract a diverse crowd.

The album's first track, "These Days," is a perfect example of the band's sound as a whole. Although the song has a radio-friendly chorus and catchy, pop-oriented riffs, the band's experimentation in more minor sounds is evident. Many of the record's songs possess these qualities, but varying sounds and styles prevent repetition. While all of the songs have a similar attractiveness, tracks like "Running Out of Time" and "What Became of Me" may have a stronger affect on listeners who prefer rock versus pop-punk. During the second or third play, many subtleties become clearer to the listener. Certain guitar lines by Shaun Murphy and Tom Zenns blend flawlessly into the sound, flowing in and out like thoughts in the back of the listener's mind. Michael Lasaponara's drums stand out throughout the album, though he knows when to take a backseat to his fellow band members. Bassist Kevin Mahoney's parts are simple yet solid, providing the necessary foundation for the band to build on. The album's one downfall may be that it has been polished too thoroughly in the studio. While all the parts are played well and blended to create a solid sound, Vincent Minervino's vocals are occasionally lackluster, providing less raw energy than the songs are calling out for.

Genres and labels aside, the record has enough power behind it to draw listeners. Roses Are Red are bringing something new to the table, pushing forward with an already tried-and-tested sound to create something a little bit different. Whether you're into pop-punk or something a bit harder, What Became of Me is definitely an album worth checking out.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums