Password

Album Review

Seabird - Rocks Into Rivers Album Cover

Seabird - Rocks Into Rivers

Reviewed by
Seabird - Rocks to Rivers
Record Label: Credential Recordings
Release Date: Dec. 15, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Fans of intricate indie rock aren't going to find many reasons to embrace Rocks Into Rivers, the new full-length from Cincinati's Seabird, but those that enjoy piano-fueled pop-rock should find armfuls of reasons to relish the disc. While their brand of Brit-influenced hook-laden rock isn't terribly original, it's hard to find fault with any of it. As equally compelling as Til We See the Shore, Rocks to Rivers picks up where that disc left off but makes an even bigger splash.

Lead single and catchy opener "Don't You Know You're Beautiful," has loads of grace and charm, while the rousing crescendo of "Sing to Save My Life," is another memorable turn. Of the album's first half, the sun-drenched "Believe Me," and the danceable "Baby I'm In Love," are also worth separating from the lot. True to their Christian roots, Morgan does allude to spiritual themes, most notably on "Trust," and "The Good King," but aside from a select verse or two, there's not a whole lot that's preachy or worship-based here.

The album's second half moves away from the mid-tempo structures and tackles balladry with an ease and efficiency that struggling musicians should take note of. With the exception of the explosive "This Road," all of the songs are brooding, gauzy numbers that drip with sentimentality, drama and passion. Of the six the all-too-brief "The Sound of You and I," is a definite head-turner, while the impassioned "This Ain't Home," and "Don't Change a Thing," are proof positive of the band's collective abilities.

Vocalist Aaron Morgan's reedy timbre anchors much of the work and without him the aforementioned accolades might never come to the surface. He has the kind of command and vocal kinesis that could make even the most boring of songs compelling. From start to finish, Rocks Into Rivers is an impressive, commercially viable collection that's harmless, skillfully executed and utterly comfortable. Backed by pristine production and lush arrangements, this is an earnest, reflective effort that should most certainly garner more fans.

Track Listing 1. Don't You Know You're Beautiful (3:32)
2. Believe Me (3:12)
3. Sing to Save My Life (4:26)
4. Trust (3:30)
5. The Good King (3:29)
6. Baby I'm In Love (3:24)
7. This Ain't Home (4:06)
8. The Sound of You and I (1:53)
9. Don't Change a Thing (3:47)
10. This Road (3:47)
11. Finally Done Right (2:57)
12. Rocks Into Rivers (5:02)

Seabird is Aaron Morgan (vocals, keys)
Brandon Weaver (bass)
Preston Lane (drums)
Ryan Morgan (guitar)

Recommended If You Like The Fray, Copeland, Keane, Jack's Mannequin, Snow Patrol

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:46 AM on 12/01/09
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Nice to see this reviewed. Never actually listened to this band but I keep hearing about them. Probably should check it out.
08:57 AM on 12/01/09
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
Saw them open for David Crowder Band a few weeks ago. Pretty solid live, but I felt like they were really tryin to sound like The Fray too much at times. Either way, they're a decent band.
09:29 AM on 12/01/09
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
*Cincinnati

Come on, Greg!
09:41 AM on 12/01/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
*Cincinnati

Come on, Greg!
Haha. My bad, my bad. My editor would probably make me do a coffee run if I had written a draft with that typo.
10:09 AM on 12/01/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
Sounds like a band I can definitely get into. Checking out now.
11:12 AM on 12/01/09
alilbravetoaste
http://www.thefairweathered.com/
User Info.
I played a show with these guys a couple months ago and they sounded really good live. I can see lots of the Fray comparisons.
04:51 PM on 12/01/09
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
It seems like a lot of people are calling their likeness to The Fray as a pitfall, but if anything that makes me want to check them out more. I'm a sucker for some good piano rock and probably always will be.
05:00 PM on 12/01/09
AndrewIcex
Twitter: @AndrewIsler/@OceangridOH
User Info.
Good friends of mine! (They go to my church) Great to see this reviewed though, definitely makes me feel like great music is finally making it abroad from the local scene. And not the typical metal and pop punk stuff that dominates the Cincinnati music scene.
05:12 PM on 12/01/09
chillinlikebob
User Info.
Nice. I saw that amazon has 30 second clips of these songs. I loved "Til We See the Shore" and will definitely be picking this up.
08:12 PM on 12/01/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
bought their last record based off this review, and i'm not regretting it. really solid stuff.
08:12 PM on 12/01/09
mybreakingpoint
User Info.
It seems like a lot of people are calling their likeness to The Fray as a pitfall, but if anything that makes me want to check them out more. I'm a sucker for some good piano rock and probably always will be.
same here.
07:53 PM on 12/05/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Great review Greg. This is a good band. Ain't nothing wrong with good piano pop-rock!
07:54 PM on 12/05/09
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I agree.
07:33 PM on 12/06/09
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
I'm also usually a sucker for some good piano rock... although the new Fray album didn't do anything for me like the old one did. Been hearing about these guys and even saw part of their set at Cornerstone this year although it didn't stand out that much to me... will definitely give this album a fair shot, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos