AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

House Of Heroes - Say No More Album Cover

House Of Heroes - Say No More

Reviewed by
I hate trying to put House of Heroes to a specific genre. There's no screaming, it's not really emo, if I had to choose, I'd just label them rock and roll. Say No More is a re-release of their self titled album, with two new tracks. The band has toured constantly, working their butts off to support the album. They struggled to get noticed, with the self titled album mainly being available at Christian book stores and some Wal Mart's, yet the band was still able to sell nearly 10,000 copies of the album. This time around, things are a bit different, new cover art, a title, and three brand new songs, along with some added bonuses on the enhanced part of the album, make this one of my albums of the year.

Say No More starts out with the same three songs that began the Self Titled release. Buckets For Bullet Wounds begins the album and sucks you in immiedatley with a somewhat catchy, yet rockish sound. I think I'm so drawn to this album, and this band so quickly because of vocalist Tim Skipper. He honestly, in my opinion, has one of the best voices in music today. Not only on disc, but live, he hits every note the same, if not better than he does on the album. Fast Enough, track two, keeps that rock feel in full swing. The tempo of the song changes from louder to softer in between the verse and the chorus, just when you think the chorus is going to continue along with the verse, a slight pause, and instant rock and roll, with an amazing solo at the end of it. Friday Night slows things down just a bit with a retro feel to it, almost a sixties sounds. Also in this you get a taste of how great this bands harmonies are. Remember the song Big Bang Baby by Stone Temple Pilots? That's what The Invisible Hook reminds me instantly of. It almost sounds like STP got back together, and gave the song a more modern rock feel.

Mercedes Baby is the catchiest track on the album. One time hearing this song, and you'll find yourself singing along. Song six, Serial Sleepers, is easily one of my favorite songs of all time, yes I said all time. Everytime I hear this song, I get goosebumps. It's the hardest, and softest song on the album if you can imagine that. Similar to Fast Enough with a softer verse, but when the chorus comes in and Tim starts belting "Wake the dead", the hair on my arm stands right up. This song ends with one of the most beautiful harmonies I've ever heard. Make a Face... and Metaphor In Parentheses are two other songs from the original album. Make A Face is probably my least favorite track on the album, but I still can't bring myself to skipping over it. Metaphor In Parentheses is such a beautiful song with it's powerful at times, yet soothing at others, guitar playing. Once again, Tim's voice, along with the harmonies really set the tone for this song. The final four songs on this album, are just as amazing as the first eight. Another new song, You Are the Judas of the Cheerleading Squad leads the pack. The best harmonies on the album are heard constantly through out this song. Alot of distortion, with fading vocals, and a great guitar solo near the end of the track, will make this song an instant hit.

I've been listening to this band for over a year now, and you may recall I reviewed the Self Titled album last fall. I wanted to give you guys another chance to read about this band, with the album being more readily available than it has been in the past, I encourage you to pick it up now. If they're coming through your area, be sure to go check them out, you're in for a treat in one of the best live shows I've seen to date. I promise you won't be disappointed with this offering from House of Heroes, and I promise you're going to be hearing alot about this band over the next year.
This review is a user submitted review from Caleb Cattivera. You can see all of Caleb Cattivera's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
05:35 PM on 06/16/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this seems to be nothing special, but good review nonetheless.
05:44 PM on 06/16/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
Originally Posted by utman8
this seems to be nothing special, but good review nonetheless.

thanks for the kind words about the review. but, i honestly encourage you to at least give the band a listen, i promise you'll at least like serial sleepers. do it! for me!
05:47 PM on 06/16/06
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.
House of Heroes are amazing. I've been listening to them since their "No Tagbacks" days. Very good review on an excellent album. yes indeed, more people should listen to this band and see them live where they are even better
06:16 PM on 06/16/06
druck
you're money baby.
User Info.
first time i've seen them talked about on AP.. great band.
06:50 PM on 06/16/06
costello.
User Info.
You have good taste, I love this band.
07:01 PM on 06/16/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Originally Posted by Caleb Cattivera
thanks for the kind words about the review. but, i honestly encourage you to at least give the band a listen, i promise you'll at least like serial sleepers. do it! for me!

i listened to the songs on the myspace and i would like to hear the mercedes song that you say is so catchy, im a sucker for songs like that. I would call it straight up rock, i will give these songs another try later and look up their myspace. For you!
07:52 PM on 06/16/06
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
love these kids. Seriously something different. A breath of fresh air
08:59 PM on 06/16/06
Caleb Cattivera
Cupid of Absolutepunk
User Info.
i listened to the songs on the myspace and i would like to hear the mercedes song that you say is so catchy, im a sucker for songs like that. I would call it straight up rock, i will give these songs another try later and look up their myspace. For you!

definatley man. mercedes may be on their website. if not, hit me up on aim, frozenpizzappl, they told me i could send you that song.
09:01 PM on 06/16/06
hotwax87
User Info.
yes i bought this album the day it came out. this band is so amazing, one of my top three favorite bands of all time. ive saw them live when they opened for relient k and mxpx, and they play their instruemnts so well, really holding it together as if they are in a studio, to say nothing of their incredible singing ability. this band and album ARE something special. they are so talented. if you buy one album this year, make it either the hush sound's like vines, or house of heroes' say no more. you will not regret it.
12:55 AM on 06/17/06
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
I think i may just check this out now... good review
08:43 AM on 06/17/06
heyjohnnyfive
johnholcomb.com
User Info.

Originally Posted by Caleb Cattivera
definatley man. mercedes may be on their website. if not, hit me up on aim, frozenpizzappl, they told me i could send you that song.

The original version of Mercedes Baby off "What You Want Is Now" is so much better than the one off Self-Titled/Say No More. I'm glad that at least play the original live, though.
02:48 PM on 06/17/06
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
I went to high school with these guys they are cool dudes...you should really check out their album...WHAT YOU WANT IS NOW....it rocks...there is a way better version of mercedes baby on it...also there cd as no tagbacks is by far my favorite...dude their drummer works at the starbucks 5 minutes from my house...cool dudes...
07:40 PM on 06/19/06
agloriousruin
salt & light in a world of darkness
User Info.
I picked up the self-titled album when I was working, as a matter of fact, at a Christian bookstore. I was attracted to the look of the album almost immediately and when I popped in the demo I was sold.

Also a super bunch of nice guys. My sister and I talked with the drummer for a bit at the Flipside Festival and he was just really cool and laid back. He even gave my sister a copy of "Say No More" at a discounted price 'cause I already had the S/T. Great job on the review and thanks for getting these guys out there!
02:18 PM on 11/03/06
Carrie Veldman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yup, house of heroes is definetly one of my favorite bands. serial sleepers is completely amazing. and i'd agree that they're just as awesome in concert. I've seen them twice and it was incredible both times.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos