AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Hush Sound - Like Vines Album Cover

The Hush Sound - Like Vines

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
THE HUSH SOUND - Like Vines

Yes, Pete Wentz did sign them, and yes, Patrick Stump produced this album and even sings on one track, but The Hush Sound is not another band trying to cash in on Fall Out Boy craze. Instead, this Chicago quartet (vocalist and guitarist Bob Morris, bassist Chris Faller, drummer Darren Wilson, and vocalist and pianist Gretta Salpeter) combine a wide array of instruments with a nice dose of imagination into an eleven track journey of pure piano pop, known as their Fueled By Ramen/Decaydance debut album, Like Vines. Vines beautifully craft the piano, guitars, drums, trumpets, and trombones into a luscious album that’ll be difficult for you to take out of your CD player.

The album begins with “We Intertwined,” a fun piano romp that features the trumpet and trombone. Gretta’s piano playing is upbeat and in sync with the drumming of Wilson. The next song, “A Dark Congregation,” switches up to Gretta on lead vocals and her vocals during the chorus take you away in a dream state. “Lions Roar” is a catchy tune that begins with a subtle bass line and Bob’s baritone vocals carry the flow. At parts, this song reminds me a Broadway song. “Lighthouse” is a gentle lullaby and Gretta sounds like an angel throughout. “Don’t Wake Me Up” features the aforementioned Stump singing parts of the very buoyant chorus. This song balances the chill verses and loud chorus very well, making this one of the stand out tracks on the album. “Where We Went Wrong” begins slowly with Bob singing over a softly played guitar riff, but midway through the song, it ups the pace and Gretta takes over. “Magnolia” is a swooping piano ballad that pleases the ears. “Wine Red” twists and turns into a delicious pop track that showcases all the talents of the band. “You Are The Moon” begins with the delicate piano playing backing up Gretta’s calm yet chilling vocals. This track closes out the album beautifully and is my favorite track on the entire album.

The production on the album is ace, also. Patrick Stump, along with Sean O’Keefe, did a great job of showcasing the piano in each track without overproducing it and making this album flow freely from start to beginning without any glitches. After a few listens, I decided that I enjoy the tracks that feature Gretta’s voice as my favorite tracks, but the songs with Bob are very catchy and upbeat compared to the ballads and lullabies featuring Gretta. Overall, this is piano pop done very well and I feel that many of you were surprised by the quality of this release. I didn’t expect it to be as good as it is, but the female-male combo vocals are great and the instruments are orchestrated very nicely throughout, making Like Vines one pop album you don’t want to leave out of your summer rotation.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. We Intertwined
2. A Dark Congregation
3. Sweet Tangerine
4. Lions Roar
5. Lighthouse
6. Don't Wake Me Up
7. Where We Went Wrong
8. Magnolia
9. Wine Red
10. Out Through The Curtain
11. You Are The Moon
Produced by: Sean O'Keefe and Patrick Stump

The Hush Sound are:
Bob Morris - vocals/guitar
Chris Faller - bass
Darren Wilson - drums
Gretta Salpeter - vocals/piano

Release Date: June 6, 2006
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen/Decaydance
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 52
08:10 AM on 06/17/06
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
Good review Drew... short, but sweet... like a Reese's cup. Mmmmm.

I still need to pick this up.
08:11 AM on 06/17/06
I was Brad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good cd i gave it a listen yesterday and was impressed. I liked it more than their last effort.
08:11 AM on 06/17/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by OveriseFan
Good review Drew... short, but sweet... like a Reese's cup. Mmmmm.

I still need to pick this up.
haha, it is shorter than usual, but I need to save my fingers for my TEN review later this weekend.
08:12 AM on 06/17/06
smallbutfeisty
aime sa vie
User Info.
good review! i love this album.
08:14 AM on 06/17/06
The_New_Cancer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. I love this CD.

Oh, and I hate to be rude, and trust me, I'm not trying to be, but it's 'Where We Went Wrong' not 'What Went Wrong'.:)
08:21 AM on 06/17/06
DejaVuEnt3ndu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
known as their Fueled By Ramen/Decaydance debut album, Like Vines.

::cough:: So Sudden, anyone....
08:21 AM on 06/17/06
xdrummerxdudex
i am a legend
User Info.
hands down, already one of my favorite cd's for summer 2006. now lets release the new underoath, cute, dashboard and gym class heroes cd's!
08:23 AM on 06/17/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by DejaVuEnt3ndu
known as their Fueled By Ramen/Decaydance debut album, Like Vines.

::cough:: So Sudden, anyone....
From Hush Sound official bio:
"After being a band for only three months, The Hush Sound recorded their first full-length album, So Sudden, in the spring of 2005. They released their debut album on their own before gaining the interest of Fall Out Boy’s Pete Wentz (who was urged to listen by Panic! At the Disco’s Ryan Ross) and were signed to his imprint label on Fueled By Ramen, Decaydance Records."

So, yeah, So Sudden wasn't released on FBR/Decaydance.

Originally Posted by The_New_Cancer
Great review. I love this CD.

Oh, and I hate to be rude, and trust me, I'm not trying to be, but it's 'Where We Went Wrong' not 'What Went Wrong'.:)
Haha, you are right, I guess when I was writing the review I just got it mixed up with another song title hah thanks.
08:34 AM on 06/17/06
Katie Schmitz
OMGZ SKWRL!
User Info.
Good review, Drew!
08:36 AM on 06/17/06
DejaVuEnt3ndu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"They released their debut album on their own before gaining the interest of Fall Out Boy’s Pete Wentz (who was urged to listen by Panic! At the Disco’s Ryan Ross) and were signed to his imprint label on Fueled By Ramen, Decaydance Records."

wow. didn't know that. you think you would hear about rare copies then of the album.
08:37 AM on 06/17/06
FOBPrettyNPunk
Registered Member
User Info.
Nice review, Like Vines is one of my favorite albums of this year.
09:03 AM on 06/17/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
well first the hush sound was a guilty pleasure of mine, but now I can safely say I like this band a lot. Like Vines is a very, very good album. Good review too Drew, short but informative enough! You just save your fingers for the bigger job coming up ;)
09:06 AM on 06/17/06
zerock
absolute apple
User Info.
awesome album, just got their cd.
09:11 AM on 06/17/06
Jamie Pham
@jamiepham
User Info.
nice

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News