AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Broadway - Kingdoms Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.71
Lyrics 7.89
Production 8.29
Creativity 7.61
Lasting Value 8.46
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Broadway - Kingdoms

Reviewed by: Dystroxia (12/01/09)
Broadway - Kingdoms
Record Label: Uprising Records
Release Date: July 7, 2009

I have a question to ask all the readers of this review: can you sum up Broadway (the band, of course) in a sentence? I can. Actually, I can do it in one word: amazing. Their debut album, Kingdoms, grabbed my attention on last.fm, and I knew I would love this band. I recommend you at least give this a listen, but for the buyers, dive in and buy this right now. Stop reading this review and buy it now.

The first song is not exactly special, but there are some standout tracks on the album that make it special. For example, "Last Saturday" is a great song, with the chorus going, "Lonely hearts / Lose the battle every time / Kingdoms start / With the closest of friends / Maybe I will write someday / About how you all helped me". That, to me, is extremely catchy, and it hooked me on to the rest of the album. The band must have done something incredible to get Jonny Craig and Craig Owens to be guest vocalists on two separate songs. Craig is on "Don't Jump the Shark Before You Save the Whale", a phenomenal song. Owens appears in "Same Thing We Do Everyday Pinky", a great song with Owens singing and screaming his little heart out. "We are Paramount" is the best track on the album, and it's especially for the ones looking for a more hardcore sound on the album. Camacho's screams and clean vocals, along with the chorus, can't possibly get better than this. Another incredible song is "You Bring the Thunder, I'll Bring the Lightning" which takes in all of the band's talent and fuses it into this song. "AWOL" is an attempt at a piano ballad and is decent as best.

Broadway is a band that is definitely not known enough. If they were famous, do you honestly know how insanely popular they could be? Hopefully the Florida band never drops a band member, especially the amazing vocalist. Few bands can actually pull off a high vocal range like Camacho can. Camacho does both screams and clean vocals, which are both outstanding. He can also perform every song live perfectly, mainly due to the high vocal range, which can go light years higher than Owens, so there's no need to worry about him disappointing live. The lyrics are also great, because they're not cheesy and they're easy to relate to. Kingdoms is an album that you can listen to over and over again, no matter how old you or the album are. If you ever so happen to run into it, maybe at Best Buy or Target, go ahead and pick it up, but never put it down. Seriously, it's that great. If you don't like this album, then you're not a true post-hardcore fanatic. Broadway is on the top of the pack, and hopefully they don't ever fall down to the bottom.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore in general; Chiodos; Protest the Hero; Saosin - Saosin

myspace.com/broadwayfl

My Favorite TracksLast Saturday; Don't Jump The Shark Before You SaveThe Whale; We Are Paramount; You Bring The Thunder, I'll Bring The Lightning

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 46
10:17 PM on 12/29/09
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
score is way to high and you obviously don't have that wide of a music scope, but I love this album. it borrows heavily from the names in your RIYL, but it comes off more sincere than most copy-cat bands. these guys play my city a lot, there really nice, sweet dudes for the most part and i always enjoy their sets and try to buy some sort of merch to help out.
10:26 PM on 12/29/09
Arizen
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
their stage performance is very very entertaining but as far as vocals live...good scream... wasn't to fond of clean vocals (maybe an off day but jesus alot of flat notes)...but pretty good CD for this genre.
10:45 PM on 12/29/09
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I've been meaning to look into this cd. Review helped a bit.
10:54 PM on 12/29/09
danawalker
User Info.
one of my favorite releases of the year, not a bad track. but seriously, WORST lyrics ever. I'd give it a 1 for effort. Just god-awful elementary level "poetry." It sucks they are so bad, but the rest of this record is honestly so good I can actually let it slide.
11:12 PM on 12/29/09
Andrew33
critical.error
User Info.
Eh, not that good. I liked it- felt too much like things I've heard before. On a side note, I'm pretty sure that Johnny Craig and Craig Owens are separate dudes; check into the guest vocals again, you mixed 'em up a bit. Also, please write more about the album and less about how we should get it. Good job though, take this only as constructive criticism! =)
01:18 AM on 12/30/09
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Love this album, seen them twice.

And to that note about hoping that none of their band members leave, their bassist Gabe left awhile ago, haha.

There is also a little confusion on the guest vocals bit. You refer to both of them as "Craig", but not Jonny/Craig or Craig/Owens. This could be confusing to some.

Other than that, solid review.
01:55 AM on 12/30/09
kaduck2007
User Info.
Love the album. Review was decent. Seemed a lot more like a praise though then a review, but you did give some good insight on a couple of the tracks. Nice work.
03:15 AM on 12/30/09
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
It's not an 89% album.
04:08 AM on 12/30/09
Alex1410
User Info.
redeeming a monster is a tune. but 89%?
05:09 AM on 12/30/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Too informal, too high rating.
07:47 AM on 12/30/09
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Great album, but idk what the fuck you are talking about, its pretty easy to hear Craig and Craig
07:56 AM on 12/30/09
Dirge07
...coitus?
User Info.
Decent review. It's definitely one of my favorite albums of '09, but I kind of agree with everyone else the rating is a tad bit high. Played with these guys a few times; great dudes and definitely put on a good, entertaining live show :)
08:38 AM on 12/30/09
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
i love this album, but that is a pretty high score. and i think you mixed up the part with jonny craig and craig owens a bit.
10:26 AM on 12/30/09
KaneFails
The Knight Who Says Ni
User Info.
I disagree with a lot of what is said in this review. First, it's incredibly easy to distinguish Jonny Craig and Craig Owens from Misha Camacho. Owens tends to feature more falsetto in his guest spot and Craig features more vobratto, along with his famed use of heat, while Camacho, as you stated, is higher pitched. I also feel both singers outshine Camacho on their tracks due to their great performances.

Second, I don't find the lyrics to be as great as you say, although they are accessible and easy to relate to. I just don't them to be very repeatable, or quotable. To me, Broadway's lyrics simply come off as something a high school student would write for an English assignment. However, I will give them credit for not having all of them about girls, like a lot of "Screamo" and "Post-hardcore" bands are doing now. Although, some bands pull it off extremely well. My prime example for this is the band La Dispute. I strongly recommend you listen to their album: Somewhere At the Bottom of the River Between Vegas and Altair. But, that's irrelevant.

I feel you're giving the album in general more praise then it deserves. Now, I will agree that Kingdoms is a good album, but I will never say it's an amazing album, because it isn't. Although songs like "We Are Paramount" and "You Gotta Love That Southern Charm" are in fact great, songs like "Meg Ryan Would Play You in the Movie" and "The Prom Queen Has No Friends" do nothing but hurt the album with how boring and skippable each song is. Thus, you are left with a hit-and-miss album.

Speaking of "Southern Charm", I find it strange how it wasn't even given a mention on this review. The guitar solo intro sucks you into the song, leaving you with Misha's vocals for a brief verse before the fist-pumping chorus, and thus having your attention for the rest of the song, and having you banging your head and screaming along by the end of the song. Also, the raw passion of "AWOL" in this song appears to be greatly underestimated for some reason. For that song, I find the ballad is one of the best songs on the album due to the outstanding vocal performances by both Misha and the other singer, who to this day I'm unaware of who is singing, but he is no doubt a great singer. "You Bring the Thunder", sadly, isn't as incredible as you call it. Although it's a fist-pumping anthem about rejecting the false icons in music, it isn't really memorable besides Misha's performance.

Overall, Broadway are a band that are rising, and they're rising at an exceedingly fast rate. There is no doubt in my mind that by album two, they will be on the same level of fame as the front-runners of scenecore (A Skylit Drive, Chiodos, blessthefall, Emarosa, et cetera).

Oh, and inb4 tl;dr.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News