AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tigercity - Ancient Lover Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 6.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 83%

Tigercity - Ancient Lover

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (12/03/09)
Tigercity - Ancient Lover
Record Label: Tigercity
Release Date: Oct. 20, 2009

Who?
Tigercity is a Brookly, NY indie band specializing in lo-fi, 70s-inspired electo-dance-pop. The band has turned heads at SXSW and was named a Rolling Stone Artist to Watch in 2007. Their first full-length debut Ancient Lover was produced by Chuck Brody (Peter Bjorn and Jon, Ghostface Killah).

How is it?
Interesting. This disc seems to be released at exactly the wrong time. That is to say, its about two decades too late and on the wrong continent. Everything about Ancient Lover feels rooted in the 1970s disco movement and the much-hyped European dance scene. The plethora of Bee Gees and Prince nods are everywhere, from album opener, "Fake Gold" to "Fall of Graz" The disc's most modern contributions include the spacey, hypnotic closer, "Matter of Time," featuring a nocturnal church organ and tack piano; and the synthesizer-fueled "Quicksand" There's a good dose of Britain in their sound too, from the New Order send-up "Red Lips," to the should-be single, "Mallory." Let it be noted that the latter is on par with "West End Girls," "Rio," and "Raspberry Beret," in its charm, hook and indelible chorus.

There's also the Davie Bowie-inspired pop song "My Type" which bounces along with a throbbing bass line and a propulsive snare. Tigercity is dynamic in that Bill Gillim's falsetto vocals and Joel Ford's big, funky bass anchor much of the sound. Chimes, bells and jerky guitars ebb and flow throughout making much of the effort an engaging aural exercise and an undeniable treat. From front to back, all of the songs movements are sexy and sprite, commanding both attention and an undeniable ability to want to move. So for those that still hang on to Saturday Night Fever and find comfort in polyester and roller skates, rest assured there is a band for you.

Track Listing 1. Fake Gold
2. Mallory
3. Ancient Lover
4. Fall of Graz
5. James Iha
6. Quicksand
7. My Type
8. Red Lips
9. Watching the Mountain
10. Better Place
11. Matter of Time

Tigercity is Bill Gillim: lead vocals
Joel Ford: bass
Andrew Brady: guitar
Aynsley Powell: drums

Recommended If You Like Under the Influence of Giants, Scissor Sisters, The Bee Gees, Prince, Roxy Music, Maroon 5

Find Them Here Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
10:03 AM on 12/03/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
This album is pretty solid. Not nearly as good as their Pretend Not to Love EP from a couple years ago, but I still like it. I didn't realize who produced it. Odd choice.
10:07 AM on 12/03/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This album is pretty solid. Not nearly as good as their Pretend Not to Love EP from a couple years ago, but I still like it. I didn't realize who produced it. Odd choice.
No, its not nearly as good as Pretend Not to Love. And yeah, strange production choice. So glad to see someone from staff knows who this band is. I should have guessed it'd be you. Thanks for the comments, mate.
10:12 AM on 12/03/09
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Yeah, I actually made a rec a while back. Underappreciated to be sure. I actually didn't find out that this album was released until less than a week ago, and I listened to it for the first time on Tuesday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the review posted today.
10:18 AM on 12/03/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Yeah, I actually made a rec a while back. Underappreciated to be sure. I actually didn't find out that this album was released until less than a week ago, and I listened to it for the first time on Tuesday. I was pleasantly surprised to see the review posted today.
That does my heart good to hear that. Thanks man. Enjoy your Thursday.
06:16 AM on 12/04/09
And Hours Pass
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
User Info.
I really couldn't get into this album. "Fake Gold" is what brought me in, but the rest of it just didn't captivate me enough to give this album heavy rotation. Excited to see how Tigercity matures in the musical landscape over the next couple of years though. I think this is an album they can build on.
08:07 AM on 12/04/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I really couldn't get into this album. "Fake Gold" is what brought me in, but the rest of it just didn't captivate me enough to give this album heavy rotation. Excited to see how Tigercity matures in the musical landscape over the next couple of years though. I think this is an album they can build on.
Man. "Fake Gold" is not the only good song here. There are quite a few other dance-heavy songs. I realize its not as good as the EP, but this is still pretty solid stuff. To each their own I suppose.
08:20 AM on 12/04/09
And Hours Pass
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
User Info.
Man. "Fake Gold" is not the only good song here. There are quite a few other dance-heavy songs. I realize its not as good as the EP, but this is still pretty solid stuff. To each their own I suppose.
This admittedly didn't receive the 15-play treatment I like to give albums before coming to a final judgment. I'll go back and give it another go.
08:25 AM on 12/04/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This admittedly didn't receive the 15-play treatment I like to give albums before coming to a final judgment. I'll go back and give it another go.
Haha. I usually just give them 10 plays. You're a better man than I. Some only get seven or eight. The really bad ones get 3!
09:13 AM on 12/04/09
Shaved Goat
Come on feet, cruise for me
User Info.
I like this album a lot, but I hate the production. The vocals sound buried, especially compared to the EP. Still enjoyable though.
09:55 AM on 12/04/09
Cliff Diver
Uncle Jesse
User Info.
More people on this site should listen to Tigercity
09:56 AM on 12/04/09
Thistimeonfire
User Info.
Really do like this album. Didn't hit me quite like Pretend Not To Love, but still one of the better albums I've heard this year.
12:35 PM on 12/04/09
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
I love Under the Influence of Giants, and I enjoy some Prince and Maroon 5, so will definitely add this as well as the Pretend Not To Love EP to my list to check out.
02:46 AM on 12/05/09
Gobigvt7
I am the new muxtape
User Info.
a few things:

there is NO WAY you give any (or at the very least most) albums you're reviewing 8 entire listens. Let's be honest with each other here. No one is spending a week reviewing most of these albums for practically nothing. You really want to claim that you spend 300-400 minutes of listening to an album before you review it? We both know that we're talking more like 100-200 mins maximum.

Ancient Lover is nowhere near as good/promising as Pretend Not to Love. But it's definitely not a bad album, and there are definitely more great tracks than "Fake Gold". "James Iha" comes to mind.
12:38 PM on 12/05/09
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
a few things:

there is NO WAY you give any (or at the very least most) albums you're reviewing 8 entire listens. Let's be honest with each other here. No one is spending a week reviewing most of these albums for practically nothing. You really want to claim that you spend 300-400 minutes of listening to an album before you review it? We both know that we're talking more like 100-200 mins maximum.

Ancient Lover is nowhere near as good/promising as Pretend Not to Love. But it's definitely not a bad album, and there are definitely more great tracks than "Fake Gold". "James Iha" comes to mind.
I work an hour from my house. Each CD I'm given I try to spend a week with. The way it works is I listen to it on the way home and back Monday through Friday. When I don't achieve this, I'll spend time with the album at home, while I'm working on columns for the day job. If you don't want to believe that, that's fine. As a caveat, I did mention that some albums got less than eight listens. All that being said, I can confidently say I've given a good 60 percent of the albums I've reviewed this year 300-320 minutes of listening.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS