AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.46
Musicianship 6.34
Lyrics 5.88
Production 6.59
Creativity 5.89
Lasting Value 6.02
Reviewer Tilt 6.23
Average: 62%
Inside AP.net

30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War

Reviewed by: danalashutka (12/07/09)
30 Seconds to Mars - This Is War
Record Label: Virgin
Release Date: December 8, 2009

Did someone say comeback? 30 Seconds to Mars might just do that with their new album This is War, which hit shelves everywhere December 8, 2009. If you weren’t a fan of their sophomore album A Beautiful Lie you might just grow into one with this new release. Jared Leto’s voice is simply impressive on this album. Who said actors couldn’t sing?

30 Seconds to Mars team up with Kanye West on the track "Hurricane", which combines the traditional beats of Mr. West and the rock and roll of 30 Seconds to Mars, which end in a exquisitely written song, a song that will be bumping the clubs and dive bars, a song everyone will be singing for the next year.

The only flaw of this album might be the lengthy intros to many of the songs, but for anyone who appreciates the instrumental part of any song, they’re great intros. "Escape" presents just this, with an intro that leads into Leto’s unscripted, perfectly flawed voice followed by a choir of fans voices.

Switching over to an electro-pop sound, the band demonstrates diversity in their sound on this album with songs like "Night of the Hunter" with strong lyrics ("honest to god I will break your heart/tear you to pieces and rip you apart"). "Closer To The Edge", another upbeat song on the album will keep you tapping your feet and make you want to sing at the top of your lungs.

The band also shows their softer side with a piano ballad, "Alibi". The piano in the beginning paints the road for how beautiful and strong the rest of the song is, with emotional lyrics such as, "no warning sign / no alibi / we’re fading faster then the speed of light / took our chance / crashed and burned / no where never have I learned / I fell apart / but got back up again" It's a song and lyrics everyone can relate to, even if they don’t want to publicly admit it.

In the end all be all, everyone should look for a strong comeback from the band with this new album. Well written and produced, this gives everyone his or her fix of music. If you're looking for an album that combines rock and roll, hip hop, electro pop, and acoustic, then this should definitely be an album you pick up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
10:41 PM on 12/30/09
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
i might check it out
10:46 PM on 12/30/09
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
review a copy you didn't download, Mr. West was cut from the actual album
10:53 PM on 12/30/09
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
review a copy you didn't download, Mr. West was cut from the actual album
He's reviewing an album that he listened to. The version with Kanye you can find on the net, the version without you can buy. Does it really matter?

"Hurricane" is better with Kanye anyway. The retail version of this album doesn't exist in my eyes.
10:58 PM on 12/30/09
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
He's reviewing an album that he listened to. The version with Kanye you can find on the net, the version without you can buy. Does it really matter?

"Hurricane" is better with Kanye anyway. The retail version of this album doesn't exist in my eyes.
well then the review should be titled "30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War (Leaked Version)" since that's what he heard and reviewed. it wouldn't be a big deal if a whole 1/5 of his review wasn't about a song that doesn't appear on the actual album.
11:11 PM on 12/30/09
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
well then the review should be titled "30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War (Leaked Version)" since that's what he heard and reviewed. it wouldn't be a big deal if a whole 1/5 of his review wasn't about a song that doesn't appear on the actual album.
Nitpicking.
11:27 PM on 12/30/09
heartsdietoo
User Info.
The person that reviewed this album is a female. For someone that pays as close attention to details as yourself I'd think you would have noticed that. Also the aforementioned song with Kanye is on the album, simply without Kanye, dumbass.
11:30 PM on 12/30/09
DivisionStreet
Music
User Info.
songs like "Night of the Hunter" with strong lyrics ("honest to god I will break your heart/tear you to pieces and rip you apart")

Strong lyrics?
11:49 PM on 12/30/09
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
songs like "Night of the Hunter" with strong lyrics ("honest to god I will break your heart/tear you to pieces and rip you apart")

Strong lyrics?
I was gonna say the same thing, love the song, but those lyrics are mundane at best.
12:25 AM on 12/31/09
Jhutch7
User Info.
i think what she's trying to say is that thats a pretty strong emotion he's portraying through those lyrics. wanting to break someones heart, tear them to pieces and rip them apart is a pretty strong thing to say
02:03 AM on 12/31/09
manorastroman
User Info.
awful record... over produced!
03:09 AM on 12/31/09
Bruised26
always.move.fast.
User Info.
Why do people never give vocalists the score they deserve on AP.net reviews?
Leto totally deserves a 9.0 in my eyes, his range and control is very impressive
06:00 AM on 12/31/09
mark29
User Info.
Utterly dissapointed by this release, trying so hard to get into it but it just seems so bland :/
06:38 AM on 12/31/09
bobcatbob18
Hang your secrets
User Info.
I absolutely love the album. I will admit it is a little over-produced but I feel like this U2 inspired sound needs that added sheen. Leto's emotion when he sings (despite the mediocre lyrics) gives me goosebumps in some songs.
06:43 AM on 12/31/09
(penguin)
User Info.
Good review. Short and to the point which is always good.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests