Username
Password

Article - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 50.
03:14 AM on 12/24/09
youngmountain
http://littlewaves.bandcamp.com/
User Info.
Sweet deal. Actually, on the topic of post-rock, or the like, I'm kind of getting into it. So please recommend me some stuff! I'm absolutely blown away by Balmorhea, love Aereogramme and Elliott, kinda dig Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky...so if there's anything else I should be listening to, let me know, because I'm loving that sort of stuff lately.
Check out This Will Destroy You and obviously Sigur Ros.
06:33 AM on 12/24/09
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
List is a huge blahhhhh.
07:50 AM on 12/24/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Well, from your Best Debuts, I already knew and enjoyed The xx, Miike Snow, Harlem Shakes, Telekinesis, Passion Pit, Fanfarlo, and Hockey. But as for new discoveries, I am loving Sin Fang Bous, Sunbears!, Frankmusik (I can't believe I hadn't heard this guy), Mumford & Sons, and JJ. And I have yet to even comb through your top 70. I'm losing sleep over you (well, your lists), and I don't even know you.
Haha that's the cutest thing anyone has ever said to me on AP and I've been here for a long time!

I'm really glad that you're liking a lot of these bands. You'll most likely enjoy a lot of the bands on the Top 70 as well. Keep me updated!

Ps: jj are releasing a new album on March 9th (I posted about it on the front page too). So excited!

Check out This Will Destroy You and obviously Sigur Ros.

List is a huge blahhhhh.
Your face is a huge blahhhh.
08:44 AM on 12/24/09
FeynmanWannabe
Take Ecstasy With Me
User Info.
Haha that's the cutest thing anyone has ever said to me on AP and I've been here for a long time!

I'm really glad that you're liking a lot of these bands. You'll most likely enjoy a lot of the bands on the Top 70 as well. Keep me updated!

Ps: jj are releasing a new album on March 9th (I posted about it on the front page too). So excited!

Your face is a huge blahhhh.
Weak.

Seriously though, some good stuff but the order is .
09:56 AM on 12/24/09
HometownHero
User Info.
My album of the year is actually instrumental. It's gorgeous, so do check it out.

I listened to Helios and Peter Broderick a lot when I was studying. Their music is similar to Balmorhea's; it's great. If you want bands that are more similar to Explosions In The Sky, check out If These Trees Could Talk. Their album Above The Earth, Below The Sky is one of my favourite post-rock releases this year. Same with Mono's Hymn To The Immortal Wind.

Oh and definitely check out Telefon Tel Aviv, too. I think I like their album Fahrenheit Fair Enough the best, but their new one is amazing as well.

I can go on forever with recommendations, but yeah let me know which ones you like!

Haha this post made me happy. I was hoping that people would find some bands that they like on my list; there are so many.

What have you checked out so far (and liked)?

Silly boys. She'd be #1 if she actually released a new album this year.

Not a fan.

Thank you!

Hospice is amazing. I love it so much.

And yeah, you definitely should if you enjoy that type of music. Air Doll is so beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.

I get the feeling that many folk releases have been overlooked this year, which makes me sad.

Next year, my friend, next year. Her new album will most definitely be my #1.
Its actually one of the best lists. The rest of the staff has boring, predictable lists. So congrats!
02:34 PM on 12/24/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Weak.

Seriously though, some good stuff but the order is .
There is no order...?
01:48 AM on 12/25/09
Someone'sCoat
Thank God you see me the way you do
User Info.
Since your musical taste and mine line up really well I'd like to throw some rec's out there. Didn't see any Florence + the Machine in there and maybe it didn't strike your fancy but that is my AOTY. Really strong female vocals. I'll just stick with the female vocalists/singer-songwriters since I'm on it haha. Catherine Feeny is my personal favorite and she had a record come out in Spet. I believe. Personally I htink it is her weakest effort to date so check out her older albums for sure if you haven't already heard of her. Charlene Soraia is mighty pleasant on the ears. Holly Miranda is an up and comer from Texas. Amazing live. Ida Maria put out a soild record as well. I guess that is all I'll rec for now cause I could go on forever haha. If you like any of them let me know! I can always rec more.

I'll bolded out the names of rec's so you don't have to read through all my ramblings haha.

I am a little surprised to see no Dirty Projectors on your list though. It saddens my heart...
06:31 AM on 12/25/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Since your musical taste and mine line up really well I'd like to throw some rec's out there. Didn't see any Florence + the Machine in there and maybe it didn't strike your fancy but that is my AOTY. Really strong female vocals. I'll just stick with the female vocalists/singer-songwriters since I'm on it haha. Catherine Feeny is my personal favorite and she had a record come out in Spet. I believe. Personally I htink it is her weakest effort to date so check out her older albums for sure if you haven't already heard of her. Charlene Soraia is mighty pleasant on the ears. Holly Miranda is an up and comer from Texas. Amazing live. Ida Maria put out a soild record as well. I guess that is all I'll rec for now cause I could go on forever haha. If you like any of them let me know! I can always rec more.

I'll bolded out the names of rec's so you don't have to read through all my ramblings haha.

I am a little surprised to see no Dirty Projectors on your list though. It saddens my heart...
The only reason I didn't list Florence + the Machine and Dirty Projectors is because I didn't spend enough time with either albums. I do like both, though. Same with Ida Maria, I have yet to listen to the new album.

Haven't checked out the other three, so I'm excited to! Thank you for the recommendations!

Ps: Lungs actually came out on Paul Tao's (other staffer) label. I'm not sure if you knew that.
06:45 AM on 12/25/09
Someone'sCoat
User Info.
The only reason I didn't list Florence + the Machine and Dirty Projectors is because I didn't spend enough time with either albums. I do like both, though. Same with Ida Maria, I have yet to listen to the new album.

Haven't checked out the other three, so I'm excited to! Thank you for the recommendations!

Ps: Lungs actually came out on Paul Tao's (other staffer) label. I'm not sure if you knew that.
Well Paul is officially my favorite staffer than haha. I do agree with your list more than anyone else though.
06:53 AM on 12/25/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Well Paul is officially my favorite staffer than haha. I do agree with your list more than anyone else though.
Oh, booooooo!

Ps: Do you have last.fm? You should add me if you do!
07:12 AM on 12/25/09
Someone'sCoat
User Info.
Oh, booooooo!

Ps: Do you have last.fm? You should add me if you do!
Oh man I do but I forgot all my info. I'll just make another one cause I need to anyways.

you're still my favorite but Paul is pretty rad
06:27 PM on 12/26/09
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
User Info.
Trying to catch up on a few of these.
01:10 PM on 12/29/09
Craftsy21
User Info.
Hey Lueda - was really looking forward to your list this year after really enjoying some of your posts/recs the last few years around the board. I am glad to say that I know many of the artists you listed and I too enjoyed a bunch of them.

My only question/confusion is that you have The XX as your best debut album, but don't have them anywhere in your top 70 that I can see. I'm assuming this is just an oversight, but I thought you might want to know (and i apologize if they're on there and i've missed them, but i looked through it like 3 times and even did a search of it to double check myself.. i'm compulsive i guess).

Anyways - love The XX and want to see them on your actual top 70 list.
01:22 PM on 12/29/09
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Hey Lueda - was really looking forward to your list this year after really enjoying some of your posts/recs the last few years around the board. I am glad to say that I know many of the artists you listed and I too enjoyed a bunch of them.

My only question/confusion is that you have The XX as your best debut album, but don't have them anywhere in your top 70 that I can see. I'm assuming this is just an oversight, but I thought you might want to know (and i apologize if they're on there and i've missed them, but i looked through it like 3 times and even did a search of it to double check myself.. i'm compulsive i guess).

Anyways - love The XX and want to see them on your actual top 70 list.
The best debut and the general lists have nothing to do with each other. I wanted to make a completely separate list for best debuts so that people could check out some new bands. Does that make sense? I haven't mixed the two lists at all. Every band that's in my Top 70 has been around for a while and released a 2nd / 3rd / 4th etc, album this year.

Glad you like the list! Did you make one?
01:34 PM on 12/29/09
Craftsy21
User Info.
The best debut and the general lists have nothing to do with each other. I wanted to make a completely separate list for best debuts so that people could check out some new bands. Does that make sense? I haven't mixed the two lists at all. Every band that's in my Top 70 has been around for a while and released a 2nd / 3rd / 4th etc, album this year.

Glad you like the list! Did you make one?
Ahh - that makes sense, sorry I should've caught onto that.

The other reason I realized why I like your list so much is that I can't seem to find Brand New on it anywhere, and I think you're the only staff member brave enough to not include it. As someone who loved their first three releases, I have to say I thought this year's was an utter failure on all fronts and I cannot believe the respect it's given around these parts by most of the staff - seems like a bit of nostalgia to me.

As far as my own list - I haven't been able to put an order together, but have about 60 albums or so that stood out above the rest also.

Avett Brothers
Harlem Shakes
Antlers
Grizzly Bear
Built to Spill
Camera Obscura
Bowerbirds
Rural Alberta Advantage (if p4k says its 09, so do i)
Dirty Projectors
Fun.
Andrew Bird
Great Lake Swimmers
Animal Collective
Coconut Records
Real Estate
The Bird and The Bee
Emmanuel And The Fear ep
Bon Iver ep
The XX
Phoenix
A Fine Frenzy
St. Vincent
Girls
Dashboard Confessional (the acoustic version only)
Deas Vail
Bibio x2
Audrye Sessions
John Mayer
Sufjan BQE
Anthony and The Johnsons
David Bazan
Sunset Rubdown
Imogen Heap
Metric
Anchor and Braille
Noah and The Whale