AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Deborah Remus

Written by: Deborah Remus (12/08/09)
So here's my list. Iím keeping it pretty short so Iíve added little explanations so if you disagree with me (which you probably will) at least youíll maybe see where Iím coming from. Iíd say that the majority of the music I got this year didnít even come out in 2009, but I still discovered a few good records that did. A personal highlight of the year was definitely being brought on as staff and Iím looking forward to getting to know all of you more in 2010:

Favourite Releases of 2009

10. Fake Problems Ė Itís Great to Be Alive
I was completely unfamiliar with this band until a friend gave me her copy to borrow. I had no idea what to expect but itís totally grown on me since March when I heard ďDiamond RingsĒ for the first time. Iíve also listened to this more than my most anticipated releases (Green Day, Rancid) so that's why Iím kicking off my list with this disc.

9. Teenage Bottlerocket Ė They Came From the Shadows
Itís not groundbreaking, but it's fun and Iíve listened to it a lot this year. I really like the vocals too.

8. Cartel Ė Cycles
The band is taking a step back in the right direction and I think there are some really catchy songs here.

7. Billy Talent Ė III
Yes, it sounds similar to their previous records, but it doesnít really bother me because Billy Talent has a sound all of their own. I also really like the riffs that Ian DíSa came up with, and I especially like that they created a Guitar Villian edition of this too. Itís a really cool idea.

6. Dead to Me Ė African Elephants
I discovered this bored out of my mind during my weekly three hour spare. I never listened to them before, but I decided to give it a shot because I usually love bands on Fat Wreck. Needless to say, I wasnít disappointed at all.

5. Portugal. The Man Ė The Satanic Satanist
Right from the second I heard the guitar riff on the opening track ďPeople SayĒ I thought Iíd love this record. I was right and itís a fun listen with some really great pop songs on it.

4. Propagandhi Ė Supporting Caste
It took some time to grow on me, but once it did I was hooked. There really are some excellent songs here. Also, Iíve never enjoyed a hidden track at the end of a CD as much as I enjoy the one at the end of Supporting Caste. Itís awesome.

3. Brand New Ė Daisy
Iím always interested to see what theyíll do next and itís nice that one of my most anticipated releases of the year didnít let me down.

2. Broadway Calls Ė Good Views, Bad News
This is probably my favourite pop-punk band making music right now. I absolutely loved their self-titled and this follow-up didnít disappoint me at all.

1. Frank Turner Ė Poetry of the Deed
Itís hard to decide who gets the top spot. Iím giving it to Frank Turner because over the course of four months, he turned me into a big fan, even though I donít usually get into singer/songwriters. There are some really great melodies and even better lyrics on this record, plus he is amazing live too. I think bigger things might be in store for him in 2010.

Most Anticipated for 2010

5. Blink-182
Like most on this site, I love Blink-182. Iím a little sceptical, but you can be guaranteed Iíll check out a copy of whatever new stuff they record.

4. Smoke or Fire
One of my favourite Fat Wreck bands. This Sinking Ship came out in 2007 too so itís high time for another release from them.

3. My Chemical Romance
It will be interesting to see how they follow-up The Black Parade. Plus, itís My Chemical Romance. Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge got a lot of rotation out of 14-year-old me in 2004 so thereís almost no way I canít not listen to every release they put out.

2. Protest the Hero
One of my favourite bands and one of the best to come out of Canada. Iím also interested in hearing some recordings from Rody and Timís new band Cheddar Cheese and the Mouse Trap.

1. Panic! at the Disco
Iíve always loved Brendon Urieís voice, but I havenít always liked this band, especially during their circus phase. I really liked ďNew PerspectiveĒ and Iím really interested to see where Brendon and Spencer take the band in 2010. I hope itís their best yet.

Favourite Shows of 2009 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

5. Rock on the Range 2009 @ Canad Inns Stadium on June 27
To be honest, the mega Rancid fan in me is the only reason this made the cut. Someone had the bright idea of taking the Rise Against/Billy Talent/Rancid tour and holding it in a football stadium with bands like Theory of a Deadman. And then it was windy and rained pretty much all day to top it off. But, I absolutely love Rancid and they delivered. I was more entertained during their set than I was during a lot of the other shows Iíve seen this year. Plus, it was great to see Billy Talent again too.

4. No Use for a Name/Only Crime/Pour Habit @ The Albert on May 23
It was really cool seeing NUFAN in such a small venue and their set-list didnít disappoint either.

3. The Gaslight Anthem/Murder by Death/The Loved Ones/Frank Turner @ The Garrick on October 1
I expected this to be awesome and it was. Itís great when things live up to your expectations.

2. Gob/The Johnstones @ The Albert on February 5
This show was really intimate and lots of fun. They played all the old favourites plus some stuff off of the underrated Muertos Vivos. Iíve been listening to these guys for a long time too, about eight years, so itís good to see they can still bring on the rock. And that Theo still makes his weird faces.

1. Blink-182/Fall Out Boy/All American Rejects @ The MTS Centre on August 2
Iíd have to say that the crowd at this show was the worst crowd Iíve ever been in. But despite that, all three bands were awesome, especially Fall Out Boy. Iíve been waiting five years for them to come to Winnipeg and once they are done their hiatus, they better headline a major Canadian tour.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
05:19 AM on 12/23/09
A Jaggy Snake
User Info.
Very nice list- I'm glad to see someone appreciated Poetry of the Deed as much as me
03:13 PM on 12/23/09
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Very nice list- I'm glad to see someone appreciated Poetry of the Deed as much as me

Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed that record too.
09:16 PM on 12/23/09
paoLAWL
Working on my night cheese.
User Info.
I'm glad someone mentioned Broadway Calls.
12:31 PM on 12/24/09
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
Im so excited for Protest the hero as well! Good List!
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version