25. Anti-Flag - The People or the Gun
24. Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed
23. Riverboat Gamblers - Underneath the Owl
22. Nothington - Roads, Bridges and Ruins
21. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
20. NOFX - Coaster
19. Heartsounds - Until We Surrender
18. Broadway Calls - Good Views, Bad News
17. Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing
16. Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream
15. Fake Problems - It's Great to Be Alive
14. MUTEMATH - Armistice
13. Brand New - Daisy
12. Westbound Train - Come and Get It
11. Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major
10. Morrissey - Years of Refusal
9. Chuck Ragan - Gold Country
8. Shook Ones - The Unquotable AMH
7. Relient K - Forget and Not Slow Down
6. The Dangerous Summer - Reach For the Sun
5. The Swellers - Ups and Downsizing
4. Rx Bandits - Mandala
3. Thrice - Beggars
2. Propagandhi - Supporting Caste
1. Lucero - 1372 Overton Park
Top 10 EPs of 2009
10. The Flatliners - Cynics
9. Straylight Run - About Time
8. Anchor Down - Steel to Dust
7. NOFX - Cokie the Clown
6. The Menzingers - Hold On, Dodge
5. A Wilhelm Scream - A Wilhelm Scream
4. Transit - Stay Home
3. Red City Radio - To The Sons and Daughters of Woody Guthrie
2. The Loved Ones - Distractions
1. The Lawrence Arms - Buttsweat and Tears
Top 10 Songs of 2009
10. Bruce Springsteen "My Lucky Day"
9. Foo Fighters "Wheels"
8. The Swellers "Dirt"
7. Brand New "Noro"
6. The Loved Ones "Last Call"
5. NOFX "My Orphan Year"
4. Weezer "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To"
3. Relient K "Candlelight"
2. Lucero "What Are You Willing to Lose?"
1. Manchester Orchestra "Pride"
Top 10 Most Disappointing Albums of 2009
10. Weatherbox - The Cosmic Drama
9. CKY - Carver City
8. Ace Enders and a Million Different People - When I Hit the Ground
7. The Dear Hunter - Act III
6. Taking Back Sunday - New Again
5. Two Tongues - Two Tongues
4. MxPx - Left Coast Punk EP
3. Nightmare of You - Infomaniac
2. Dead to Me - African Elephants
1. Strike Anywhere - Iron Front
Top 10 Worst Albums of 2009
10. Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground
9. Holiday Parade - Tickets and Passports
8. Boys Like Girls - Love Drunk
7. Hoobastank - For(n)ever
6. Bowling For Soup - Sorry For Partyin'
5. A Day to Remember - Homesick
4. Papa Roach - Metamorphosis
3. The Used - Artwork
2. Mayday Parade - Anywhere But Here
1. Cobra Starship - Hot Mess
Top 10 Worst Songs of 2009
10. Eminem "We Made You" Hey, this song is ironic!
9. Asher Roth "I Love College" This song is worse than a straight-to-DVD American Pie movie.
8. 3OH!3 "Don't Trust Me" Sorry, I can't trust anyone who believes this song is good in any way.
7. New Boyz "You're a Jerk" I might be a jerk, but at least I'm not talentless.
6. Ke$ha "Tik Tok" Hear that? That's your 15 minutes winding down on the ol' Clock of Fame.
5. Lady Gaga "Love Game" There is no amount of money that could convince me to let you ride my "disco stick," Lady Gagme.
4. Jeremih "Birthday Sex" No thanks, I'll just masturbate instead.
3. Cobra Starship "Good Girls Go Bad" Good girls go bad, the rest of America goes on suicide watch.
2. Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA" Sorry Horseface, no matter how "catchy" your single is, nobody wants you to move anything like "yeah."
1. Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" Autotune + asinine nonsensical lyrics + Fergie = worst math equation ever!
Top Five Best Bands of 2009
1. The Dangerous Summer
3. Manchester Orchestra
4. The Swellers
Top Five Worst Bands of 2009
1. Cobra Starship After the big Gabe interview scandal, it's fairly obvious this band is only in it for one thing. Any guesses?
2. The Used Can you believe these guys used to actually matter?
3. Taking Back Sunday Perhaps the biggest controversy of my AP.net career came from saying what everyone didn't want to hear.
4. Boys Like Girls Backstage scandals, overproduced muck -- this band is about as grounded as the Balloon Boy's family (catch that?).
5. outRAGEous! Never heard your band, but your incessant emails have "we want money/fame/girls" written all over them.
Most Overrated Band: Animal Collective Don't believe the hype -- because I sure as hell don't.
2009's Biggest (Pleasant) Surprises
1. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue Who knew 15 years later, they could replace their dead vocalist and still flourish?
2. The Bronx - Mariachi El Bronx I suppose if anyone can make mariachi music sound great, it has to be the Bronx.
3. Rancid - Let the Dominoes Fall While it's still hit or miss, it's far better than their past few efforts.
4. AFI - Crash Love After the last album, I didn't think AFI had it in them to regroup.
5. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Pin Points and Gin Joints Sadly, I always have to doubt a band who takes 8 years to record a follow-up, but they didn't disappoint.
2010's Most Anticipated Albums
1. Jimmy Eat World
2. The Gaslight Anthem
3. Joey Cape
4. Bad Religion
5. Motion City Soundtrack
6. Alkaline Trio
7. Butch Walker
8. The Lawrence Arms (?)
10. Face to Face (?)
Breakthrough Band of the Year: Manchester Orchestra What a breakthrough year Andy Hull and company had. Next Band to Be on the Lookout For: The Swellers Their album had a near-universal appeal for all rock music fans, which should translate well with the mainstream. Best Record Label: Paper+Plastick Signing the best bands, distributing music for the fans, doing everything the way good labels ought to. Best Producer: Mark Michalik After his work with the Swellers, expect his name to be on all your future favorite albums. Best Discovery of the Year: Heartsounds Worst Breakup of the Year: The Matches Best Film of 2009: Up
This review is a user submitted review from smoke4thecaper. You can see all of smoke4thecaper's submitted reviews here.
I loved Distractions. I'm looking forward to their next release. Still sad I picked going on the road to watch my football team lose over getting to see them and Gaslight Anthem in Atlanta, and that happened in October (yes, that was that bad of a football game).
Finally! The first person I have read so far to even mention Lucero. And appropriately numbered at the top spot. My favorite of the year as well. No one else has even mentioned Gold Country either which is my number two. Great minds think alike, sir. Were you really that disappointed with Iron Front? It was disappointing to me in the sense that I was hoping for it to be great but it didn't meet my expectations but I'd still say it had good songs. Try listening to I'm Your Opposite Number and First Will and Testament again. If anything, my biggest disappointment was The Swellers Ups & Downsizing which obviously wasn't the case for you. I like a lot of their older stuff and thought I'd love their new album but didn't end up liking it at all. I found nothing catchy about it that had me singing the songs after I listened to them like I did with their old stuff. Crash Love was a pleasant surprise for me as well. Hopefully, I see more Lucero's as I continue down the list. Good day!
Excellent list, Chris. Really the only one I agree with all that much.
Most Overrated Band: Animal Collective
Don't believe the hype -- because I sure as hell don't.
8. 3OH!3 "Don't Trust Me"
Sorry, I can't trust anyone who believes this song is good in any way.
5. Lady Gaga "Love Game"
There is no amount of money that could convince me to let you ride my "disco stick," Lady Gagme.
3. Cobra Starship "Good Girls Go Bad"
Good girls go bad, the rest of America goes on suicide watch.
2. Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA"
Sorry Horseface, no matter how "catchy" your single is, nobody wants you to move anything like "yeah."
Hahahahaha, yes, those made me laugh especially hard.
Anyway, I should check out Lucero, I trust your taste. Nice list.
D'oh, I knew I was forgetting somebody! I have high hopes for so many releases coming out, I guess I should have expected to leave one big contender out. But I am most certainly anticipating their record, should it drop in the coming year.