Password

Album Review

Dropping Daylight - Brace Yourself Album Cover

Dropping Daylight - Brace Yourself

Reviewed by
Dropping Daylight - Brace Yourself
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Record Label: Octone Records

When one sees a label on a CD announcing a band comes recommended by Hawthorne Heights, one’s opinion instantly falls into one category or the other. The first is the die-hard Hawthorne Heights fan who will check the recommendation out because they believe J.T. Woodruff and his fellow members can do no wrong. The other group will instantly dismiss the recommendation based on their distaste for Hawthorne Heights. While I tend to fall into the latter category, putting aside your snarky preconceptions is necessary in the case of Minneapolis’ Dropping Daylight. Led by vocalist/pianist Sebastian Davin, Dropping Daylight features alternating thrashing instrumentals, impassioned vocals, and perfectly accented piano accompaniments. How exactly can a piano peacefully coexist with hard-nosed rock? Just one listen to Dropping Daylight’s Brace Yourself, and the answer will be crystal clear.

“Tell Me” is a pop-derived anthem of the highest order. Smooth yet aggressive with the right balance of the two sets apart it as one of the stronger tracks on Brace Yourself. The title track continues in the same vein, but this is one of the main issues with the album. Everything sounds like one immense jam session with some piano thrown in for good measure. The album rocks fairly spiritedly as a whole, but the lasting power just melts away into the shadows. Punctuated by a squealing intro, “War Song” is the quintessential Dropping Daylight song. Fifty percent power and fifty percent emotion, this song is just as much Seth Davin’s guitar playing as it is Sebastian’s vocals. The band uses gang vocals are to moderate success on “War Song” as well. They are just enough to accent the lead ones and don’t detract from the music, unlike most other bands’ songs. “Blame Me” puts Dropping Daylight’s post-hardcore side on public display as the impassioned vocals trail perfectly into the piano/guitar song. The only problem with this one is sometimes it sounds like a Seether b-side vocally. If they laid off the aggression just a touch, such as in "Apologies" or the sweet "Lucy," they'd be much, much better off.

Brace Yourself is an unyielding debut effort from Dropping Daylight. I was thoroughly impressed with their musical abilities. Sebastian Davin is a superb young vocalist that I can see going places in the future. The band as a whole will appeal more heavily to the radio audience for their faux-heavy sound that really just boils down to piano-influenced post-hardcore, but that is not a bad thing. Brace Yourself is marred only by the lack of diversity between the songs, but I expect no less than a great album from them next time around. For now, sit back and enjoy one of the only unique post-hardcore bands out there.

Buy Dropping Daylight's Brace Yourself on iTunes

Track List01. Tell Me
02. Brace Yourself
03. Waiting Through the Afternoon
04. Apologies
05. Take a Photograph
06. Lucy
07. Soliloquy
08. War Song
09. Blame Me
10. Answering Our Prayers
11. 'Til You Feel Something
This review is a user submitted review from Tony Pascarella. You can see all of Tony Pascarella's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:12 PM on 06/21/06
watchmyheadspin
amsa
User Info.
amazing review!! I love dropping daylight! they blew me away last year on tour w/this day and age and continue to have the punch you in the face great sound!
08:16 PM on 06/21/06
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
User Info.
agreed somewhat on the staying power...it seems like the kind of album I loved for 3 weeks, and in the future, probably once or twice I month I'll listen to.

Good cd none the less
08:17 PM on 06/21/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by preppyak
agreed somewhat on the staying power...it seems like the kind of album I loved for 3 weeks, and in the future, probably once or twice I month I'll listen to.

Good cd none the less
I'm going to be much tougher on staying power from now on because so much music this year has had little to none. But this was a good debut from the band. I liked it.
08:23 PM on 06/21/06
Serenity
a two star hotel, hotel.
User Info.
Good review. I really like this album; Apologies is my favorite, I think.

I regret that I missed the opportunity to see them live about a month ago...
08:33 PM on 06/21/06
deecee85
Oh yessss
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw them at Bamboozle '05. They played at Asbury Lanes. The stage was set up over about 4 lanes and people were bowling to the left and right of them. It was outrageous. Great live band and I love their older stuff
08:36 PM on 06/21/06
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
Good review Tony, I love this album. I get what you're saying about the lack of diversity between the songs, I can hear it.

This is still going to be one of my favorite albums of '06. I just can't get past the fact of how much they jam with the piano.
08:47 PM on 06/21/06
readsom
User Info.
great band. great cd. i cant wait to check them out on warped this summer!!!
09:15 PM on 06/21/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
very good review. love this CD but good point with the staying power. it still could make its way onto top ten for the year (which could say something about this year).
02:58 PM on 06/22/06
preppyak
I hate Vincent Jackson
User Info.
Originally Posted by Mercy Medical
Good review Tony, I love this album. I get what you're saying about the lack of diversity between the songs, I can hear it.

This is still going to be one of my favorite albums of '06. I just can't get past the fact of how much they jam with the piano.

Yeah...they use the piano parts so well...

Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
I'm going to be much tougher on staying power from now on because so much music this year has had little to none. But this was a good debut from the band. I liked it.
This year and last year...many albums that are great for 2-3 weeks and that's it...if it weren't that I've liked so many albums this year, I'd have a lot of gaps in my music listening
06:57 PM on 06/22/06
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
I like your review but I've been listening to this record for 6 weeks and it's still the only cd in my car. I really love it. This band is so underrated and I truly hope they get to the audience that will fall in love with them (aka get them on tour with Jack's Mannequin).
10:11 PM on 06/22/06
jpgretzky15
undefeated
User Info.
its a decent cd. kind of one-track though.
11:59 AM on 06/23/06
raisinbran
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks for the review.
07:39 PM on 01/13/07
onautolux
CC
User Info.
This isnt post hardcore dude

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News