AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Classic in the Making - The Willing EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 72%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 86%

Classic in the Making - The Willing EP

Reviewed by: npmshah (12/11/09)
Classic in the MakingThe Willing EP
Release Date: November 10, 2009
Record Label: Unsigned

It is an unfortunate fact of today’s music scene that a band’s talent takes a backseat to their looks. From All Time Low to Stereo Skyline, what draw many fans in are what its members look like. Ultimately, this rather lucrative fanbase helps finance the band to write more music and tour much more. Thankfully, Classic in the Making is one of these bands. With the talent to back up their image, The Willing EP is a remarkable, albeit unconfident, debut from a band that only formed over the summer of 2009.

The Willing EP opens up with “All for the Audience,” which features guest vocals from the likes of Stephen Jerzak. The song is an immediately catchy, piano-laced, pop-punk romp. Above average drumming anchors the song as the piano lines help it soar above the crowd. Unfortunately, it seems that Jerzak’s guest spot on the song is, as the title suggests, all for the audience. His contribution to the song is scarcely recognizable. From the opening track onwards, this EP only gets better. “Lost In Affection” is an extremely catchy deep cut of pop punk, while “Oxytocin” features some interesting piano/guitar interplay. The song also features guests Liz Akhavan and Ryan Wickard; both of these seem to be more token guest spots, since neither contributes more than some background vocals. Following “Oxytocin” is “These Days,” featuring some interesting guitar work in its intro and an absolutely infectious chorus backed by carefully layered gang vocals. All three of these songs showcase something special about the band. Despite being almost straight-up pop-punk tracks, all three show a natural talent in songwriting that is rare in a band so young. The band manages to add its own flair into what is otherwise an often tired genre. However, the band’s greatest display of songwriting comes in EP closer, “This Is Why I Can’t Have Nice Things.” The song starts off acoustic with crisp, clear vocals reminiscent of The Cab’s Alex Deleon at his finest. The song then morphs into a standard pop-punk track before skillfully manipulating its atmosphere into something much more dark and frantic. Impassioned screaming soon takes over, with lyrics like “Get out while you still can” sending chills down the listener’s spine.

The Willing EP is an absolutely stellar debut from a band that is only months old. The band shows a natural talent for songwriting that is extremely rare in today’s scene. The only issue is that the band lacks confidence. This EP can stand on its own without the useless guest spots. Despite this small fact, it seems that Classic in the Making are, indeed, a classic in the making.

Recommended if You Like The Cab, Mayday Parade, Runner Runner, Danger Radio

Choice Cuts "Oxytocin" "This Is Why I Can't Have Nice Things"

http://www.myspace.com/classicinthemaking

Track Listing1. All For The Audience (feat. Stephen Jerzak)
2. Lost In Affection
3. Oxytocin (feat. Ryan Wickard and Liz Akhavan)
4. These Days
5. This Is Why I Can’t Have Nice Things

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
11:25 PM on 12/31/09
birtcho
is...
User Info.
am absoloutly obsessed with this ep. Hoping to hear alot
more from them
10:43 AM on 01/01/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Great review Neeps. I actually see a lot of You, Me, And Everyone, We Know in this band with their lyrics and brand of pop rock.
08:02 AM on 01/04/10
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
Thanks. I haven't listened to YMAEWK enough to cite them in reviews, but i hear the similarities too.
03:15 PM on 01/04/10
kaseykapow
User Info.
This was an excellent review. This EP is ridiculously addicting.
08:52 AM on 05/15/10
iamtessaj
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm so obsessed with this EP...it's incredible.
"This is Why I Can't Have Nice Things" & "Oxytocin" are my favorites.
brraaavvvooo!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums