Username
Password

08:19 PM on 11/07/12 
User Info.
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
Wisconsin
Male - 23 Years Old
About to start Jane Jacobs - The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

I need to read more.
10:41 PM on 11/07/12 
User Info.
sjb2k1
archersaurus
the bull city
Female - 32 Years Old
i just finished Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara. really great historical fiction.
07:36 AM on 11/08/12 
User Info.
Voguerista
Female
My fave book ever is Memoirs Of A Geisha.
05:59 AM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
FuckT41182
Slovakia
Male - 22 Years Old
Yeah. I've actually read all three parts of the Divine Comedy haha. Inferno isn't bad at all, some pretty cool writing and imagery.
I want to buy the other two parts of the Divine Comedy soon, but first I have to read John Milton's Areopagitica for school. (and also I'm quite interested in it, so even if I didn't need it for school, I would most probably read it.)

I finished Moby Dick a week ago, started with War And Peace, people say that it is difficult to read, and although I'm just in the beginning yet, I didn't come across anything particularly difficult, but I foresee that to keep in track with all the names will be quite hard.

Are there any people who have read War And Peace ? Was it difficult ?
06:14 AM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Goddamn those shaky knees
Louisville, KY
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
I want to buy the other two parts of the Divine Comedy soon, but first I have to read John Milton's Areopagitica for school. (and also I'm quite interested in it, so even if I didn't need it for school, I would most probably read it.)

I finished Moby Dick a week ago, started with War And Peace, people say that it is difficult to read, and although I'm just in the beginning yet, I didn't come across anything particularly difficult, but I foresee that to keep in track with all the names will be quite hard.

Are there any people who have read War And Peace ? Was it difficult ?

The main thing about War and Peace (from what I understand about it from a Russian Lit class I took and excerpts I read; haven't read the whole thing unfortunately) is that you have to be prepared for Tolstoy's ramblings and tangents, usually about the Russian sociopolitical climate at the time.
07:01 AM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
TJ Wells
http://www.frycookonvenus.net
Portland, OR
Male - 28 Years Old
01:19 PM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
You Vandal
What she order? Fish filet.
Chicago, IL
Male - 28 Years Old
Going to give War and Peace a shot because I loved Anna Karenina so much. Is there a preferred translation?
Hebrew
01:20 PM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Reading Let the Great World Spin. I like it so far, about 50 pages in.
01:44 PM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
thesinkingship
Bowie's in Space
Bourbonkin
Going to give War and Peace a shot because I loved Anna Karenina so much. Is there a preferred translation?

The Modern Library edition is good.
02:17 PM on 11/09/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
You've never seen it look so easy.
Anybody familiar enough with F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night to chat about it? I got thoughts on thoughts on thoughts.
08:04 AM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
xtinataguba
No Avatar Selected
Female
im currently reading dragons dwaren depth book in my freetime.
12:45 PM on 11/16/12 
User Info.
FuckT41182
Slovakia
Male - 22 Years Old
The main thing about War and Peace (from what I understand about it from a Russian Lit class I took and excerpts I read; haven't read the whole thing unfortunately) is that you have to be prepared for Tolstoy's ramblings and tangents, usually about the Russian sociopolitical climate at the time.
Well, I will handle that, because though I hate politics with my whole heart, in this world that we live in, I believe it is every man's duty to understand how politics and hypocrisy are synonymous, and I hope War And Peace will give me something more to life than just a story, so I should be okay reading it.
08:08 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 23 Years Old
Has anyone read Life of Pi? My dad said it was one of the best books he's read. Is it worth reading?
08:23 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
Hey guys, I'm putting together a genre unit for an education class on fantasy novels, geared at young adults. I've got the obvious ones like Narnia, Potter, LOTR, etc., but any suggestions as to fantasy novels I could add in?

Do they have to be series novels? Because Gaiman has some decent YA, like The Graveyard Book and Odd and the Frost Giants. Also, The Giver is classic.
08:48 AM on 11/17/12 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 23 Years Old
Hey guys, I'm putting together a genre unit for an education class on fantasy novels, geared at young adults. I've got the obvious ones like Narnia, Potter, LOTR, etc., but any suggestions as to fantasy novels I could add in?

I haven't read it in a long time, and I don't remember the quality of the books, but I do remember loving Pendragon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos