AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Run Doris Run - Five More Songs and You Can Go Home Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.75
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 5.25
Production 5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 4.5
Final Verdict: 54%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Run Doris Run - Five More Songs and You Can Go Home

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (06/24/06)
Run Doris Run - Five More Songs and You Can Go Home EP
Release Date: 2005
Record Label: Unsigned

The Short Version

If you have ever found yourself yearning for some high school-era Fenix TX garage demos, then look no further than Run Doris Run for an inoffensive substitute. Still wet behind the ears and only comfortably into their teenage years, Run Doris Run churns out 5 takes on the done-to-death, sunny, innocent pop-punk that will forever feel about 8 years too late to cash in on the feverish Drive-Thru invasion of days long-since-passed. Now, just being a pop-punk group no longer issues a mandate for success, as the current name of the game is polished vocals over clever superemo lyrics, neither of which shows its face here.

Everything on Five More Songs and You Can Go Home is executed with precisely the predictability you would expect from a group of kids barely old enough to get behind the wheel of their parent's Oldsmobile - the lyrics are harmlessly trite, the riffs are saturated with power chords, and the vocals are (at times) horrendously off-key. The band does, on the upside, possess a knack for crafting songs with that je ne sais quoi recipe for catchiness that will inexplicably have you humming "Winning Genevieve" despite your best attempts to purge it from your mental buffer. Give Ryan Koppel some voice lessons and a few years to tie up the loose ends of puberty and he might just end up being the second coming of Will Salazar he is gunning to be. Let's just hope that if and when that happens these guys will still be a band and the world will still crave its mindlessly breezy summer soundtracks.

Recommended if you like:Fenix TX, Denver Harbor, Punchline, Allister, Home Grown

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
12:19 AM on 06/25/06
lillprinsen
User Info.
great idea with mini-reviews
12:51 AM on 06/25/06
kylebrown1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like the mini review idea, keep it up
03:09 AM on 06/25/06
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Good idea with these reviews.
03:33 AM on 06/25/06
DanEmo
it ain't me, babe
User Info.
i like the idea too...!
05:35 AM on 06/25/06
City Lights.
User Info.
i like the mini-review idea for the smaller releases and because they'll allow more reviews to be put out...that said i think they work best for ep's versus full lengths simply because there is less material to cover. but i think when used for full lengths one may come away feeling like not everything had been said, they may be less gratifying...whatever i'm rambling. keep it up.
06:01 AM on 06/25/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
The Short Version is a registered trademark of Upbeetmusic and its creator, Russ Hockenbury. Consider this your cease and desist order.

;)
08:24 AM on 06/25/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by obleekness
The Short Version is a registered trademark of Upbeetmusic and it's creator, Russ Hockenbury. Consider this your cease and desist order.

;)
No one reads your site so its okay :)
08:25 AM on 06/25/06
Russ Hockenbury
www.youtube.com/goodcomputerkids
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
No one reads your site so its okay :)

Hey! As my Geology instructor said last week, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Yea, he's the former frat boy type...kind of like you.
08:27 AM on 06/25/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Hey! As my Geology instructor said last week, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Yea, he's the former frat boy type...kind of like you.
Sounds like a winner...
08:32 AM on 06/25/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Just try not to waste time on bands that suck that nobody would ever have heard of... and this is a good idea.
08:35 AM on 06/25/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by YourMusicSucks
Just try not to waste time on bands that suck that nobody would ever have heard of... and this is a good idea.
Well, sometimes the bands you haven't heard of are the best ones. But yeah, it a CD is really good, it will get a longer review.
09:44 AM on 06/25/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
Well, sometimes the bands you haven't heard of are the best ones. But yeah, it a CD is really good, it will get a longer review.

Haha yeah, of course. I just meant, if it sucks and nobodies heard of it... keep it that way. If something is widely known and sucks people need to be informed =P
10:30 AM on 06/25/06
xgloryxfadesx27
Make Believe, Not War.
User Info.
The Short Version is a registered trademark of Upbeetmusic and it's creator, Russ Hockenbury. Consider this your cease and desist order.

;)

Srsly.

:sun_smile
11:31 AM on 06/25/06
WSUskee
Seattle Scenester
User Info.
Yeah I think I like the short review and am looking forward to more of them. As for the guy saying he already has that name copyrighted I have never heard of your site. I guess that doesnt make it open to copy what is yours but come on.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests