AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 10
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 92%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.58
Musicianship 9.42
Lyrics 10
Production 9.67
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.92
Reviewer Tilt 9.92
Average: 98%

David Bazan - Fewer Moving Parts

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (06/28/06)
David BazanFewer Moving Parts EP
Release Date: June 13th, 2006
Record Label: Jade Tree

Score (out of 10): [9.1]

When Pedro the Lion’s David Bazan decided to drop the moniker and go solo, it came as a disappointment to many. After all, Pedro the Lion had released a ton of incredible albums, including 2002’s Control, containing some of the best lyrical work of any singer/songwriter of the past 10 years. With Bazan’s side project Headphones, nobody expected him to release material this early after going solo. Bazan by himself seemed strange to me. How could he exist without bandmate and longtime friend T.W. Walsh? Bazan proved to not only me, but the rest of the world, that a name is just a name. This release contains some of Bazan’s strongest and most controversial work to date, especially lyrically. Taking pages from each of his project’s books, Bazan combines his trademark somber, smooth vocals from Pedro the Lion with some electronic effects from Headphones (especially in “Cold Beer and Cigarettes”) to create the most expansive work of his career. Though the album is only 5 songs, there are 2 versions of each song. The first 5 tracks feature a full backing band, while the last 5 are stripped down, acoustic and raw versions of each song.

Lyrics have always been Bazan’s strong point. Historically, they’ve been surprisingly simple yet full of relatable imagery, nothing has changed on this record. The upbeat and uncharacteristically cheery number “That’s How I Remember” speaks of Bazan’s personal requirements of having a few drinks before he goes out in public, suggesting previous social inadequacy. Bazan never steers away from disclosing uncomfortable realities of his personal life in his songs, and that only becomes more evident on “Fewer Broken Pieces.” Here, Bazan laments on his decision to go solo, confessing that “Don’t think I don’t regret it/because I do and I don’t think I’m better off alone/Man I could have had a big sound/But I love to let my friends down.” This view into Bazan’s personal life allows the listener to connect with him on a level that most artists don’t achieve with their listeners. Lines like “One good friend remarks with a rightfully angry/Jesus, dude…none of us know what to do with you” make you feel for Bazan in his lament.

In addition to his personal confessions, Bazan has not shied away from controversial topics, as “Backwards Nation” speaks of men picking up machine guns to kill “camel fuckers.” Of course, these lyrics, when placed into context, are social commentaries instead of racial slurs. Still, Bazan’s addressing of rednecks and frat boys are biting and unsettling, as one can feel his anguish through his words.

As far as the music itself goes, it’s a pleasant surprise to hear Bazan use such widely varied instrumentation in his EP, but still offer up stripped down singer/songwriter versions of the songs (like some older Pedro the Lion fans may be used to). Bazan is lyrically driven, yet still makes his music hauntingly infectious by paralleling guitar lines and tempo amazingly with his vocal delivery. Fewer Moving Parts will please Pedro the Lion fans from all eras. Anybody who appreciates artists that bare their soul should give this EP a listen, as Bazan is a songwriter who is simply unmatched in his ability to invoke emotion in a listener while the listener actually cares for Bazan’s own well-being. While often depressing and despondent, Bazan takes his listeners on a 5 song lyrical journey for what will almost undoubtedly end up as the EP of the year. While not as strong as several Pedro the Lion releases, David Bazan’s solo debut is still fantastic and is a wonderful teaser for his upcoming full-length.

Recommended if you like:The Good Life, Pedro the Lion, Damien Jurado

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
03:00 PM on 06/28/06
zeketheplmbr
#pleasure
User Info.
Nice review. I love this dude.
03:02 PM on 06/28/06
byebyebeautiful
conor is not scene.
User Info.
www.purevolume.com/davidbazan to stream the whole album.
03:08 PM on 06/28/06
TyroneShoolaces
User Info.
love Pedro The Lion and this album.

and for those of you who are wondering, T.W. Walsh just released an album. It's called 'In Moderation' and the name of his band is 'The Soft Drugs'.

Check it out. pretty awesome.
03:09 PM on 06/28/06
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
great EP. One of Bazan's best. I enjoyed it more than Achilles Heel though Control will always be my favorite followed closely by It's Hard To Find A Friend.
03:15 PM on 06/28/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by TyroneShoolaces
love Pedro The Lion and this album.

and for those of you who are wondering, T.W. Walsh just released an album. It's called 'In Moderation' and the name of his band is 'The Soft Drugs'.

Check it out. pretty awesome.
Yeah, it's good stuff.
03:24 PM on 06/28/06
rhythmgtr5
www.ShatterTheLens.com
User Info.
Bazan is amazing. If anyone hasnt heard this record or PTL - definently take the time to check it out
03:41 PM on 06/28/06
ghostyouare
/flex
User Info.
It's a good album but I think your a bit biased. This album wasn't nearly as good as any PTL albums but it's not bad. I think the acoustic tracks are pretty awful though. It's really worth a few listens though.
03:42 PM on 06/28/06
fgevilmonkey
Bitches ain't shit
User Info.
I'm super excited after hearing "That's How I Remember", which I'm going to tell all my friends to listen to while telling them it's the best Weezer song that's been released since 1998.

That's not even a slight, it's a fucking awesome song!
03:45 PM on 06/28/06
matt_rawlings
User Info.
Horray!
03:53 PM on 06/28/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by ghostyouare
It's a good album but I think your a bit biased. This album wasn't nearly as good as any PTL albums but it's not bad. I think the acoustic tracks are pretty awful though. It's really worth a few listens though.
It's called opinion, Trevor. I love the acoustic tracks. I think "Fewer Broken Pieces" may be stronger than any track on Achilles Heel.
04:40 PM on 06/28/06
ryanisarealboy
mofuckaa
User Info.
yeah i like the acoustic tracks as well, if you get a chance to go see him live do it! i just saw him in cleveland and it was truly a moving experience.
06:22 PM on 06/28/06
shtjames
User Info.
this is the best review i've ever read on absolutepunk. everything i heard on this ep you put into words beautifully. props sir
08:16 PM on 06/28/06
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Awesome review, you are probably my favorite reviewer on the site. I'll have to check this out later
10:49 PM on 06/28/06
ghostyouare
/flex
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
It's called opinion, Trevor. I love the acoustic tracks. I think "Fewer Broken Pieces" may be stronger than any track on Achilles Heel.
I could say the same to you, champ.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests