AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Set Your Goals - Mutiny! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.3
Musicianship 9.3
Lyrics 9.61
Production 9.59
Creativity 9.38
Lasting Value 9.64
Reviewer Tilt 9.84
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Set Your Goals - Mutiny!

Reviewed by: Scott Weber (06/29/06)
Set Your GoalsMutiny!
Record Label: Eulogy
Release Date: July 11, 2006

Score (out of 10): [8.5]

Flash back to 6 years ago. Drive-Thru Records was all the rage, pop-punk wasn't cliché yet, and New Found Glory ruled the scene. You loved NFG, Sum 41, and Blink 182, and there were no scene police to tell you otherwise. It was a time of music enjoyment without guilt. Now, the scene has changed. New Found Glory has moved on to the mainstream, hundreds of other bands have attempted to follow in their footsteps, and while some have succeeded, many have failed. An evolution of the music scene has occurred to the point in which it’s no longer acceptable to listen to hook-driven pop-punk songs without being ripped into by your peers on internet message boards. Part of that reason is because somewhere along the line, pop-punk lost its edge. Bands like New Found Glory rose from a thriving Florida hardcore scene (guitarist Chad Gilbert was in Shai Hulud pre-NFG) and their music contained a punch that packed more energy into their songs than their peers or eventual followers. Flash forward to 2006. A resurrection of what we once knew and loved has emerged, in the form of Set Your Goals.

Set Your Goals are a band who defies genres or musical boundaries. They are adored by pop-punk fans, hardcore buffs, and others alike. Their refreshing blend of hardcore energy and gang vocals mixed with familiar hooks creates a sound that can appeal to us all. While many of us have come a long way in 6 years in our musical evolution of personal tastes, there’s a huge portion of us that began in the same scene. While some of us still listen to pop-punk, others may have gone the hardcore/metal route, and others indie. But this debut full-length from Set Your Goals is just the right balance of an old sound many of us used to love. It’s enough to throw away the scene police whistles and come together once again for a ridiculously fun album.

Though Set Your Goals is far from a rip-off of their predecessors, the influence is evident. With an alternating vocal approach, the higher pitched side bears a mild resemblance to Jordan Pudnik (NFG). The other side of the vocals are more hardcore influenced, and Mutiny! features a mini-breakdown or two, as well as gang vocals and quickly paced, driving beats (see: Comeback Kid, 7 Seconds). Bursting full of instant summer anthems, Mutiny! does a good job balancing the two styles on refreshingly familiar (yet nostalgic) tracks like “Mutiny!” and “This Very Moment.” Other songs combine the styles a bit more awkwardly, as “To Be Continued…” has hardcore growls in it, with Tom DeLonge-esque vocals alongside in an unatural pairing that comes off as a bit much. Unfortunately, this song is almost 4 minutes long, and by the time it sinks into the 3rd minute, the song has lost significant amount of energy. Acoustic guitar parts in the middle of the song seem to kill the momentum it has gained. One of the main criticisms of this album is that it clocks in at less than 30 minutes with 4 songs that are around 4 minutes long. Having more songs at shorter lengths would keep the pace moving along smoother. Lasting value is also a concern for this record. While instantly fun and catchy, it doesn’t appear to have a significant amount of depth and it has a tendency to fade quicker than it should.

Despite its flaws, Mutiny! is a very solid debut from a band with a tremendous upside. The fact that the band struggles to find an identity is actually a good thing for them, because the clashing of hardcore/pop is outweighed by pop and makes the balance easier to stomach for most listeners. The problems with this album aren’t nearly big enough to change the fact that this is a fun summer album that reminds me of a sound that was completely lost in the scene about 4 years ago. Plus, the last song on the record, “Echoes,” ends with a resounding collection of harmonious da-da-da’s coming from every direction through your speakers that will bring a smile to anybody’s face. Pick up this record the day it comes out, no matter who you are or what your tastes are now - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Recommended if you likeNew Found Glory, 7 Seconds, Lifetime, Comeback Kid

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75.
02:40 PM on 06/29/06
singthblues
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As far as influences go...how about CIV, I mean, Set Your Goals is named after the CIV album of the same name.
02:40 PM on 06/29/06
Jason Tate
User Info.

I agree. Great band, really solid album.
02:41 PM on 06/29/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I don't think Set Your Goals really sounds like Blink or Sum 41. SYG def has that hardcore sound. NFG has that hardcore sound. The Movielife has that hardcore sound. I think those two bands are more comparison to SYG. Just my opinon!
02:42 PM on 06/29/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
I heard that Pete Wentz may be signing SYG to Decaydance. I think he metioned it in one an interview? Did anyone hear this?
02:49 PM on 06/29/06
zeketheplmbr
#pleasure
User Info.
Originally Posted by Pat Marquez
I heard that Pete Wentz may be signing SYG to Decaydance. I think he metioned it in one an interview? Did anyone hear this?

Well, they deserve it. I love them.
02:50 PM on 06/29/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by Pat Marquez
I don't think Set Your Goals really sounds like Blink or Sum 41. SYG def has that hardcore sound. NFG has that hardcore sound. The Movielife has that hardcore sound. I think those two bands are more comparison to SYG. Just my opinon!
I didn't really make Blink/Sum 41 comparisons. I said that's what people were listening to 6 years ago. Not sure if you actually read the review...
02:50 PM on 06/29/06
zeketheplmbr
#pleasure
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
Set Your GoalsMutiny!
Record Label: Eulogy
Release Date: July 11, 2006

Score (out of 10): [8.5]

Recommended if you likeNew Found Glory, 7 Seconds, Lifetime, Comeback Kid

Scott.....7 Seconds? I think you should have name dropped H2O or CIV at least.
02:52 PM on 06/29/06
jfb392
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Love this album, it goes by so fast, but listening to it over and over is easy.
02:54 PM on 06/29/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by unwritten
Scott.....7 Seconds? I think you should have name dropped H2O or CIV at least.
Get off my back people. I didn't listen to CIV, so I can't compare a band to somebody I've never listened to. I didn't grow up in the hardcore scene, especially east coast.
02:57 PM on 06/29/06
zeketheplmbr
#pleasure
User Info.
Get off my back people. I didn't listen to CIV, so I can't compare a band to somebody I've never listened to. I didn't grow up in the hardcore scene, especially east coast.

Sorry lol. Just trying to help you out.
02:59 PM on 06/29/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
Originally Posted by unwritten
Sorry lol. Just trying to help you out.
I just don't get all the fuss the hardcore fans put up over this album when cred isn't given to old school hardcore when it's 90% pop and 10% hardcore...
03:01 PM on 06/29/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
haha, nice review Weebs, I dig this album bunches.
VeloriumCamper
recognize johnny blaze
User Info.
Nice review. It's actually quite similar to mine. Even our Similar Bands are the same haha.

Here's my review for it.
Get Fucked
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just don't get all the fuss the hardcore fans put up over this album when cred isn't given to old school hardcore when it's 90% pop and 10% hardcore...
Stop being so defensive. Especially with the comment towards Pat, you said there were Tom Delonge-esque vocals on one song, that's a comparison to Blink 182 .. calm down man.

P.S.
I enjoyed the review hahaha.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT