Password

Article
« Back to Articles

Conditions

Written by: Julia Conny (12/29/09)
Alex Howard (guitar/vocals)
Top Albums of 2009

14. Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals
Ryan The Tins Man Tinsley's favorite band. Don't make him fight you about it.

13. The Used - Artwork
A solid record that I feel has gone underappreciated. Kicking off a record with the heaviness of "Blood On My Hands"...come on. You can't wait for Bert to start screaming like it's 2002.

12. Poison The Well - The Tropic Rot
Just heavy as balls. The minute you look at the cover art you know it's going to be scary heavy. I want to punch Ryan Tinsley when I hear "Antarctica Inside Me."

11. Metric - Fantasies
Emily Haines = yup. "Gimme Sympathy" = enough said.

10. There For Tomorrow - A Little Faster
Debut full-length from some of our best friends. They are one of the best live bands around right now, and if you don't get pumped when you hear "The Remedy" you don't have a pulse.

9. Taking Back Sunday - New Again
I have absolutely NO idea why this record didn't receive more recognition. I honestly didn't even know it came out until a friend played it for me. Louder Now was such a great album, and I feel like TBS has come into their own with this release. It has your typical, expected TBS-vibe songs, but "Where My Mouth Is" just opened up a whole new world for them.

8. Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits
The Foo Fighters are in my top 5 of favorite bands, probably ranked at #2. It's a greatest hits, so it's nothing new to me...except for "Wheels"!!!!! What an amazing song. That song alone was enough to make it one of the best records of the year.

7. Barcelona - Absolutes
This was originally released in 2007, but they got picked up by Universal Motown and they re-released it this year so I think it's only fitting that it gets its proper recognition. Still just as amazing 2 years later. For all you boys out there, learn how to play "Colors" and sing it to a babe. She will kiss you, maybe even throw in some tongue. ;)

6. 30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War
Hard to follow up A Beautiful Lie, but they passed with flying colors. Such a beautifully crafted album that will take them to a totally new and highly respected level.

5. Brand New - Daisy
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside of Me is one of my top ten favorite albums of all time, so needless to say I was anxiously awaiting to see what Brand New had in store next. I heard "At The Bottom" first before the record was released and instantly loved the song, but at the same time it sounded like it could be a Devil and God song. After finally getting a listen to the entire album, they stepped even further out than I would've expected. They are a band that just keeps getting better and better every album, so I hope they don't stop.

4. Muse - The Resistance
It seems like the US has finally caught on to Muse's superstar status and they're getting the credit they deserve worldwide. #4 on my favorite bands list because all 3 of these English gentlemen are perfect at their craft. Matthew Bellamy can do no wrong.

3. Paramore - Brand New Eyes
I am lucky enough to have toured with this fine group of talented musicians, and this is just killer. It's amazing to hear them really play. I would put Zac Farro up against any rock drummer out there right now. I love hearing him play on this record, but I also love how the band really took a step outside the box and are writing great, mature pop songs worthy of comparisons to Jimmy Eat World.

2. John Mayer - Battle Studies
The songbird of our generation. This man brings blues to the mainstream and doesn't give a fuck. I mean..."who says I can't get stoned, call up a girl that I used to know, fake love for an hour or so." Come on, the dude's a badass and he's damn good at making you feel embarrassed for even attempting to play guitar as well as he does.

1. Thrice - Beggars
The favorite child, my #1 favorite band of all time. My homepage is Thrice's website, so I was always up to date with the recording process and knowing that this record was going to be a bit "groovier" than previous material. No, it's not The Illusion of Safety, but I don't want it to be. Thrice changes with every album and it's always fine by me. They stretch themselves as musicians and songwriters to consistently do something different and they're always ahead of the curve. Well done gents, don't ever stop making records. You are a constant influence to me.

No one has commented on this article.
You can be the first.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums