AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Callahan - Summer Sampler Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 5.25
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Callahan - Summer Sampler

Reviewed by: makeoutmags (01/04/10)
Callahan - Summer Sampler
Record Label: None
Release Date: August 24, 2009

Springfield, Ohio’s Callahan have incredible potential, but these four young men, brothers Wes (drummer) and Brad Comer (guitarist), bassist Jake Sims, and vocalist/guitarist Ryan Clay, have yet to find a signature sound of their own. Some of you who spent time at the Vans Warped Tour this summer might recognize them as one of many hardworking bands armed with an iPod and demos trying to sell their music to anybody who would give it a listen. Though their work ethic is incredible and commendable, their summer sampler, featuring 3 sun-soaked songs with solid pop-punk hooks, unfortunately doesn’t cover a lot of new ground. Both musically and lyrically, the tracks would fit perfectly on anything We the Kings or Boys Like Girls have put out. It remains to be seen if the group has a sound that is distinctly their own. The first two tracks, "The Dive" and "Anyways" simply struggle to find relevance in a genre already saturated with songs built to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Callahan seem to still be finding what works for their band and each of the three tracks contains elements that could be fit for a very popular full-length, but only with tweaking. The band should focus on both developing their thoughts better within the lyrics, and cultivating the sort of depth that will come from the band's personal growth as musicians. On “Finding My Way”, the lone ballad and stand-out track, Clay really shines in his ability to control his vocal and contribute a powerfully emotional element to the song, but the sampler as a whole could use more of that honesty. This reviewer believes that Callahan have the musical chops and determination to make a name for themselves in this scene, but if they want the staying power, they will need to find something to bring forth in their music that sets them apart from the rest of the pack.

Recommended If You LikeWe the Kings, Boys Like Girls, Every Avenue

http://www.myspace.com/callahan

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
09:11 AM on 01/05/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
I forget which song it is on this EP, but it was ripped directly from Just Above Jealous' song "Take a Break"
08:49 AM on 01/08/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
hmm. let me know if you figure it out. i haven't heard that song but i'd be curious to hear it now.
I remember my brother calling me pissed as hell because a band ripped his bands song. JAJ isn't a band anymore, but still.
02:44 PM on 01/08/10
makeoutmags
every moment bleeds into one
User Info.
I remember my brother calling me pissed as hell because a band ripped his bands song. JAJ isn't a band anymore, but still.
Damn. Doesn't surprise me. After really liking talking to these dudes at Warped Tour in NJ, I wanted to come away from reviewing this album being blown away by the music... but I have heard all of it before from different artists. Admittedly I do feel a little burnt out on the style of music they play. There's too much of it right now. They aren't bad musicians I just think they need to quit listening to other bands for awhile and attempt to do something different.
03:39 PM on 01/08/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
Damn. Doesn't surprise me. After really liking talking to these dudes at Warped Tour in NJ, I wanted to come away from reviewing this album being blown away by the music... but I have heard all of it before from different artists. Admittedly I do feel a little burnt out on the style of music they play. There's too much of it right now. They aren't bad musicians I just think they need to quit listening to other bands for awhile and attempt to do something different.
Yeah I hear you there. Never liked the dudes. But I've got something new for you.

www.myspace.com/booghostbear

Just Above Jealous disbanded and found something new. Ghost Bear. I think you'll enjoy it if you want something different. Sam is my brother.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests