AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sherazada - The Hunger Artist Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 5.25
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Sherazada - The Hunger Artist

Reviewed by: npmshah (01/05/10)
SherazadaThe Hunger Artist
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 1, 2009

Screamo. Even the word itself is cringe-inducing. Beaten to death by wave after
wave of generic scream-sing-scream bands, modern day screamo conjures up images of neon-tinged boy bands hoping for a piece of the Jac-Vanek-clusterfuck crowd. With the opening notes of The Hunger Artist, I was under the impression that Sherazada was just another one of these bands. But multiple listens have revealed an amount of depth in Sherazada’s music that is not present in many of today’s one-dimensional acts.

While much of the album follows a standard scream-sing-scream (or vice versa) formula, repeat listens helps the listener discern an impressive amount of technical skill and balance within the band’s tunes. This is perhaps most evident in album highlight “Last Rites.” Opening with dueling guitar solos, the band manages to combine crushing breakdowns with a clean vocal delivery reminiscent of a Bullets-era Gerard Way (which is quite fitting, since Sherazada are now kings of the scene where My Chemical Romance claims its roots). Unfortunately, despite their impressive strengths, the band also suffers from a bout of the generic. “Echoes In The Hall,” given some cleaner production, would blend in perfectly on a Silverstein record.

Overall, Sherazada have crafted a fairly decent record that shines like a beacon when compared to many of their contemporaries. While not completely original, the band manages to breathe some life into a tired, highly commercialized genre. Perhaps with cleaner production, Sherazada can rise above their local roots and become the next “it” band. After all, it would be nice to see a hard working band ascend to national renown. Personally, I will eagerly await Sherazada’s next release, but will be satisfied with The Hunger Artist’s tunes until it is ready.

Recommended if You Like Silverstein, A Day To Remember, Alesana, Blessthefall

www.myspace.com/sherazada

Track Listing1. Intro
2. Echoes In The Hall
3. Life Within The Sound
4. The Hunger Artist
5. Last Rites
6. Persephone

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
01:20 PM on 01/06/10
Poe-tryGirl
DADAIST DISGUST
User Info.
I don't think I'll check it out.
02:08 PM on 01/06/10
npmshah
Our Love Is Like A Song
User Info.
I don't think I'll check it out.
you should. its really good.
02:48 PM on 01/06/10
Axlfro
User Info.
Yesssss!
02:58 PM on 01/06/10
froston
User Info.
Their video is dope!
03:06 PM on 01/06/10
Axlfro
User Info.
It totally is

03:28 PM on 01/06/10
SORforever
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's about time this band gets some recognition. I've seen them at concerts tons of times and they KILL it live. The show with Silverstein they played was amazing. I would say they were the best band that night. Good job guys, can't wait to hear whats next! KUDOS!
03:53 PM on 01/06/10
runningfree1
User Info.
Was not a fan of this album. Great review though.
09:51 PM on 01/06/10
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
just watched the video, thought it was a bad combination of the used and korn videowise, songwise I thought that they borrow too much from their influences and its all been done before so definitely not interested but for a local band they aren't the worst I've seen
12:02 PM on 01/07/10
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
User Info.
just watched the video, thought it was a bad combination of the used and korn videowise, songwise I thought that they borrow too much from their influences and its all been done before so definitely not interested but for a local band they aren't the worst I've seen
where the hell do you get Korn from that video? More like Atreyu/The Used
12:52 PM on 01/07/10
daygreen89
User Info.
checked out the album, it is a fairly solid album that i can listen to more than once. It's ass to lump them in a screamo category because of the connotations that go along with it, defiantly more enjoyable then other screamo bands. Hope they continue to make some progress.
12:53 PM on 01/07/10
daygreen89
User Info.
also the video is really solid, especially for an unsigned band.
05:05 PM on 01/07/10
Patchworkdrum
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I haven't heard Hunger Artist yet, but I do own their earlier demo. They're a great band, but can't be put just into screamo. They know how to interact with the crowd. I'm surprised Sherazada's not signed yet
04:14 AM on 01/08/10
ThisIsWar01
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is one of the most refreshing underground bands right now. I have seen them live with silverstein and they tear it up live...they have a great sound and face melting solos...worth a listen
05:25 PM on 01/10/10
jerseybound
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this cd is great. I've seen this band a number of times and they are great live and this cd kills it. Video is great as well, and they are really nice dudes. Also surprised this band isn't signed yet.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests